Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Alternative powered light/secutiry system?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Feb 25, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I was thinking about what sleeping would be like during a violent SHTF or one where humans are the threat rather than mother nature.

Instead of taking shifts, because between myself and my wife (and son a few years down the road), it'd probably get old and difficult quick.

Hooking a security system up to solar panels or some other form of power would ensure that the power could not be cut in order to destroy the monitoring system.

Just a thought anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Are there any simple ways to security a perimeter in a residential area other than taking shifts??

I've got a huge GSD but he only is awoken out of a dead sleep if he hears a food wrapper....then he has to investigate. Otherwise it's not until someone touches the house or is walking through the door that he cares...

2. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Most security systems - even low-end ones - have battery backup system-wide that will run the system anywhere from 4 to 24 hours. Running a generator for a couple hours once or twice (or however many times) a day, would recharge that battery for function while the generator was not running.

Outdoor intrusion detection via motion sensors, photobeams etc, is tricky; since the detector doesn't know the difference between an intruder, a stray dog, or a walmart bag blowing in the wind. Move in front of it, or break the beam; alarm goes off. Doesn't usually differentiate what it was that actually caused the break or movement; and you end up with the "cry wolf" situation and can easily end up distrusting your own equipment.

All that said, if you have a location or situation that lets you use them, a simple "driveway annunciator" system is a seriously capable early-warning system for very little money. The optex 2000 is the one we use most often, and it does very well. It consists of a self-contained outdoor motion sensor about the size of a baseball with an integral transmitter, running on a 9v battery; and an indoor receiver that looks a lot like a baby monitor. The receiver can receive signals from up to four sensor/transmitters (more than a quarter-mile away if need be), with zoned LED's and zone-specific tones so you you know which sensor was tripped. There is no outside indication that a sensor has been violated; only at the indoor receiver unit.

We use them primarily as convenience/annunciation purposes for customers. If used for security purposes, the first thing I'd do is paint the sensor housing something other than the bright white it comes in. Painted a neutral color and positioned with security in mind, it could accomplish quite a bit with minimal installation hassle.

3. Carry16

Sep 7, 2004
    SW Missouri
    My security system has a 12vdc 8ah battery which only holds up for maybe 3 or 4 hours - I have lots of motions, smokes, etc. If I needed to extend this I would hook up a car battery in place of the 8ah and connect a 30 watt or so solar panel to keep it up.

That said, I don't think it's realistic to plan on defending your home with 2 or 3 people during shtf. If you can't organize your neighborhood into a defensive force, you need to move to a new neighborhood.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012