close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

All Religion is a ripoff and all gods are sockpuppets of the shamans.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Comrade Bork, May 8, 2013.

1. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    Simple. Realize that spirituality and belief in God are not bad things but that religion is.

2. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    It is simple, padawon. Go to the university and there will you see the graaave truth about religion from super smart professors with ideas.

3. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    History might be a good place to start.

4. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    Of course it is. Why don't you point me in the right direction? lol.

5. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Seems you got it figured out.

Everything has a spin.

Really I think the best answer to JB's question was given by juggy4711 "Simple. Realize that spirituality and belief in God are not bad things but that religion is".

:cool:

6. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    I went to a christian university because I was a believer at the time. All of my professors were also believers including two that had their doctorates in divinity. I started the program as a christian and ended it as an atheist. After studying the bible in depth in an academic setting, there was no way I could still honestly defend the notion that it was inerrant.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  7. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Have you ever considered that maybe your religion was a cleaver con?

What religion are you?

What sect?

I can only point you in the right direction if you are willing to share.

I do enjoy a good discussion on what people believe and why.

Most people are not willing to go too deep on their beliefs.

8. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    I too enjoy discussions so long as they dont degenerate into a pissing match. I am christian but as far as denomination I don't really identify with any of them. Mainly because I het tied to some of the poorer decisions made by people of that denomination. That being said I attend a Pentecostal church but I am comfortable in a lot of other churches if they meat a certain criteria.

I actually walked away from my faith for a time much to my parents dismay. I came back though ;)

9. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    I am familiar with the Pentecostal church. I attended one for a year or so..........Church of God I think. I was also in a cult called The Way International for several years. The cult met my criteria.......until it didn't.

What is the criteria that must be met in order for you to be comfortable?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  10. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    Hate to nerd up on you, but it is padawan.

Yep

So basically you go to a church with one of the most strict doctrines but are comfortable with others, as long as they meet that strict doctrine?

To expand on that subject briefly...

11. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    What did you think of it? I like a lot of them because the people tend to be more excited about the word and act on it throughout their daily lives. Not aure what I think about speaking in tongues though

Never heard of that. What is it?

Well first that they teach out of the bible. Not some curriculum. A series of teachings is on a subject is fine though. To many people come with X step program to change your life blah blah blah. They just need to teach the concepts of the bible.

Second the leaders in the church lead by example which should be striving to be like Jesus.

Third they should be excited about it. Been to so many dull churches who seem to have given up. It makes it harder.

What is your criteria?

12. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    Remind what the strict doctrine of a Pentecostal church is? I cannot recall it.

13. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Belief in direct supernatural gifts is one that springs to mind (speaking in tongues, healing, etc.)

14. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    They believe and teach on it but I do no agree that it is strict doctrine. Never got the impression that we were being indoctrinated. My experience is somewhat limited however.

15. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    Then you have never been to a Pentecostal church.

Obviously.

16. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    Go be condescending somewhere else. I have been to many including one of the nations largest for years. But what do I know?

17. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    I've come to some conclusions on the concepts of the bible that no longer allow me to be called a Christian.

Though I am no longer a Christian, I know that I learned a lot from my time as a Christian.

I'm not jaded and I have no regrets about my time as a Christian. I had to experience it to be where I am today. The same God that led me into Christianity, led me out of Christianity. The religion is just a shell that allows spiritual growth. At the same time there is something in it that stifles spiritual growth. It is a paradox.

When your time comes to grow out of it, you will.

It does not happen for everyone.

18. Daltini

Daltini

Mar 28, 2013
    So what sort of conclusions have you reached? I'm curious because lately Church has been discouraging for me and not attending yet still having a relationship with god seems to be a possibility...

19. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Have to be another day.

Gotta run.

Thanks for asking though.

:cool:

20. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

95%?

Man, you're worse than the liberals. Did you help them come up with that 90% agree with background checks statistic, also? :rofl: