close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

All Of These Hand Gun Calibers Why?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 9mmParabellum, Oct 27, 2010.

1. 9mmParabellum

9mmParabellum
    Expand Collapse

I don't want a fight here, this is just my opinion like many others here on these forums you have to take things with a grain of salt.

Revolvers: .38spl, 357mag, if you like big bore then 44spl.

Semi auto: 9mm, 40cal, 45acp.

Which ever one you choose out of this batch I do believe for your personal protection while going about your daily business you should be fine.

Before the .40cal the good guys where getting the job done with 9mm, .45acp.

5.7mm, 9mm, .357sig, .40cal, 45Gap, .45acp, 10mm?

10mm is good for Mountain Lion, and bear country so is .44mag

Understand I am just talking about the two legged animal here.

Ok, I choose three and focused on the semi-auto only for personal protection. I am only open to constructive comments only.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 9mmParabellum, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Markasaurus

Markasaurus
    Expand Collapse

It's a long story isn't it? Calibers have changed since firearms were invented and will no doubt continue to do so. Witness the Glock 45 GAP - what else could this be besides a sales tool?

Calibers have been changed throughout history both for practical reasons, but mainly in order to fatten someone's bank account. To use an absurd example, the Maxim gun was marketed in the 19th century with a choice of two bullets - round ones for Christians and SQUARE bullets for muslims. The madness has been unabated since.

The 45 auto was created in direct response to American military efforts in the Phillipines in the early 20th century. Charging moro tribesmen were often not put down by the 38 revolvers then in use by the Americans and so eventually the browning designed 45 auto was adopted. This naturally proved to be the supreme manstopper of handguns and served the USA well until the desire for NATO 9mm commonality over-rode it in the 1980's.
    The 5.56 round was rammed through by "political soldiers" in the Pentagon during the vietnam era. And its value was a mixed blessing, since the 7.62 round for shoulder weapons was simply too powerful, and the M-14 was obviously the wrong weapon for jungle fighting.

There are literally hundreds of accounts of the ineffectiveness of the 5.56 round in battle, from 1960's Vietnam to todays Afghanistan conflict (where the abandoned M-14 might actually be superior).

The point of this post is that the super-abundance of calibers in the 21st century, in handguns or rifles, probably came about sheerly because of someones desire for profit. If logic ruled the small arms industry, we'd have only the following -

22 lr
    223/5.56
    .270 (will take most American big game)
    7.62 (it is a standard)
    either 6.5 or 6.8 caliber (for the next American battle rifle).
    30-06 (good enough for Grizzly).
    .458 (if youre hunting hippo or elephant that day)

9 mm (a world standard that's not going away.)
    45 auto (still around after 100 years)
    38/357 (for revolvers).

However we know this is not going to happen, ever, and the odd calibers will no doubt continue to proliferate.

#2 Markasaurus, Oct 27, 2010
  3. 1SGMP

1SGMP
    Expand Collapse

Different Calibers for different situations. Most people choose a caliber from personal expierence or what has worked over the years (i.e 9mm 38 spl 45acp) for yrs the 38/357 were the choice of Law enforcement, many people stuck with that. To me the 5 shot chief special (md36 for me) is an awesome carry piece. my current edc is my 26 9mm, its all peference but its also nice to have a choice.

4. bowtie454

bowtie454
    Expand Collapse

1. People like to play around with stuff and think they can improve on what already exists. Look at how many wildcat/improved rifle cartridges there are. And don't forget the .357 is an improvement of an existing cartridge.

2. Opinions are like ..... You are obviously a 9mm fan, and your sig indicates you realize that there are a large number of people who aren't. People differ in thier opinion of "what is enough gun". Just like I disagree with the earlier poster's comment that a .30-06 is good for all big game up to and including grizzly bear.

3. Gives me an excuse to by a new gun (I don't have one in THAT caliber yet!)

5. Daryl in Az

Daryl in Az
    Expand Collapse
    Enjoying life!

Well, the various cartridges are a result of someone, or several someone's at any given time trying to "make it better". Someone took a .40 S&W and decided to speed it up a bit, and now we have .357 sig. Things change, and change is the basis of firearms development.

If no one since the 1800's had been willing to do that, we might very well still be shooting black powder. After all, in it's time a single shot black powder firearm was considered "all we need" by a lot of folks.

As recently as the mid-1980's, LEO's were carrying .38 special +p ammo in revolvers. Now one would be hard pressed to find a single agency that still issues .38 special chambered firearms. Things change.

Do we NEED all the various cartridges? Probably not, but it's nice to have choices. To not change is to become stagnant, so I like things to keep improving.

If nothing else, "new" stuff created enough profit for manufacturers to keep them in business, and I like firearms manufacturers to stay in business.

#5 Daryl in Az, Oct 27, 2010
  6. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

It's inherent in man's personality, the search for a better mouse trap. Why do we have 8 diff car manuf making 8 diff models of car when they all get us from point A-B?
    Back before quality expanding bullets, the 9mm was pretty lacking in it's ability to end a fight, so "experts" & professionals upgraded to larger bullets. Why, bigger bullets make bigger holes. Enter the JHP, now you can make a 9mm into a 45. Things now start to get pretty even across the caliber playing field. So the only thing left to do is add velocity (357sig, 10mm, etc). Then throw in firearms design & it's evolution along the years. Why the GAP, to get a 45 into a 9mm platform. Why the 40, to get the 45 "power" into a 9mm platform. We are not done yet either. There will be new developements in cartridges & gun designs that will give us new things to debate.
    Today, one could do everything w/ two guns IMO; a 9mm for SD/HD & a 4" 44mag for serious woods carry (sorry guys, the 10mm is NOT a serious woods gun IMO). There you go, mice to moose & good enough for two legged vermin.:dunno:

#6 fredj338, Oct 27, 2010
  7. 9mmParabellum

9mmParabellum
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate all of the positive feed back so far guys I consider myself a shooter, fighter etc. with a pistol I never really got into bullet weights, tech specs on and on.

My experience with the 9mm has been 84gr BAT Geco, Federal 115gr +P+, 124gr Speer GD +P+ loaded by Buffalo Bore Ammo.

All bullets are lethel some more than others, I focus on shooting and hitting, flash front sight picture depending on the distance, lots of malfunctions and gun handling two and one handed.

Very important lots of schools do not focus on gun handling. I carry one weapon system. Some people have many types of handguns different triggers, sights, levers.

#7 9mmParabellum, Oct 27, 2010
  8. Jeepnik

Jeepnik
    Expand Collapse

Sorta like asking why Ford, Chevy & Dodge.

9. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

GM, Lincoln, Cadillac, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo......... In the good old USA, we still get freedom oc choice, for now.:whistling:

#9 fredj338, Oct 27, 2010
  10. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut
    Expand Collapse

"2. Opinions are like ..... You are obviously a 9mm fan, and your sig indicates you realize that there are a large number of people who aren't. People differ in thier opinion of "what is enough gun". Just like I disagree with the earlier poster's comment that a .30-06 is good for all big game up to and including grizzly bear."

Well, my father killed three grizzly bears using a M1895 30-06 with one shot each. Their mounted hides are currently on my mothers living room floor. So, I'd have to disagree with you.

11. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY
    Expand Collapse

Just like mouthwash, deodorant, or whatever product being sold. Once sales have peaked on a product they have to come out with something "new and improved". It sells pistols, bullets, reloading equipment, sights amd so on. Stirs up controversy. The new Super-X Atomic caliber is faster than a 9mm, bigger than a .45, and can knock over a semi-truck with one shot! Yeah right! Then the gun rags get hold of it and stir the pot up even more. Got to have the latest and greatest right?
    The .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .44 Special/.44 Magnum in revolvers and the 9mm and .45 in Auto's have been around for a long time. Their is a reason. If you do your part they will do their part. If you don't learn to use your weapon well no handgun/caliber combination is going to save your bacon. .22long rifle/.22 Manum same thing for small game and backwoods fun. Too many folks think that adding 1/10th of an inch in frontal area or adding a 125 f.p.s. extra is going to turn a handgun into a tactical nuclear device. Sorry kiddies it just isn't so. The truth is choose a handgun in a decent caliber, that is reliable, that you can shoot well, get some good training, and practice. Lots.
    No it's not as exciting as the latest and and greatest "death ray gun" with Nitroatomic bullets made from a secret recipe known only to Shaolin Monks. But no handgun in the world in any caliber or configuration can save your life. A gun is an inanimate object. A tool. It is only as good as the person using it. Used properly a handgun can save your life. But no hardware is going to make up for bad software (this gun will save me because it's a XXXXX caliber). Oh crap you mean I have to work at it to be good with a gun? Yes you do. Not as exciting as the gun/caliber of the week. Just hapens to be the truth. That's why calibers have come and gone. But 9mm and .45 (and their revolver counterparts) have been around for a long time. Used right they work.

12. G26S239

G26S239
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Patron

Out of my handguns I can shoot;
    1. 22lr
    2. 32 auto
    3. 7.62 X 25
    4. 380
    5. 38 Special in my DS and j frames + 357 Magnum as well in my SP101
    6. 9mm Para
    7. 357 Sig, 40 S&W
    8. 44 Special, 44 Magnum
    9. 45 ACP
    10. 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 S&w Magnum. I don't count the Schoefield for my XVR because its size is overkill even for the Colt ctg.

13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

Real simple answer!

If there were only two handgun calibers, how many handguns would you have/need?:wavey:

14. jlavallee

jlavallee
    Expand Collapse

A logical post. Pro and con to almost any argument and yep, people cartridges and animal cartridges are two different things.

15. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

Even before the advent of the 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, etc., there were quite a few choices in the black powder days such as the 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44 Russian, 38-40, 44-40 44 Colt, etc. Man likes variety and the firearms industry has obliged. Most cartridges today are descendants of some black powder cartridges to one degree or another.

16. gatorboy

gatorboy
    Expand Collapse

The 45 is about 11.5mm and you have the 10mm. I always thought a 11x25 at about 30K with a 200 gr. truncated bonded HP @ 1200 would be perfection. If I could, I would. Why not?

17. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Also some calibers were done to meet specific demands or needs. The Army wanted a cheaper/lighter 45colt round, so someone shortend it & the Schofield was born. Then they wanted round that gave 45colt like performance in a semiauto, bam, the 45acp was born. I believe the 38-40 & 44-40 were orignally rifle rounds & chambered later in pistols to provide western bound settlers w/ a simpler logistics of one caliber for both.:dunno:

18. G26S239

G26S239
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Patron

I believe you are in error fred338, as I recall the 45 Schofield was developed for the revolver of the same name and the Army adopted it because it had both Peacemakers and Schofields in inventory and the smaller ctg could be used in either.

19. GVFlyer

GVFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Good post and while I'm sure knocking down Moro tribesmen was an ancillary benefit, the real reason the Army wanted the .45 ACP was in actuality, they wanted a caliber that could stop a charging horse.

The prestige units of the day were cavalry units, the best way to defeat them was to kill their mounts.

20. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm
    Expand Collapse

Because only one choice in anything either becomes a rip off (no competition) or just plain boring. Gosh, just think, without them, caliber corner wouldn't exist.:shocked:

#20 glock20c10mm, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010