All computer experts out there!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gun Shark, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Can an mSata SSD play nicely with a hybrid hard drive? The computer is less than a month old. HP 15t Quad Touch Smart J000

I want to make the mSata SSD my boot Drive with the OS(windows 8.1), and programs; and the hybrid hard drive the storage drive for the files and stuff.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Full Computer Specs:

• Windows 8 64
    • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
    • 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • 16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 1TB 5400RPM Hybrid Hard Drive
    • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    • No Additional Office Software
    • No additional security software
    • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    • External Tray Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
    • Backlit Keyboard
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    • 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth®

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Also would it be better to have a regular non hybrid hard drive with the set up that I want to have?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. What issue are you trying to resolve?

4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

What size is the mSATA drive?
    What is the purpose of the notebook - Graphics, Field Use, Document Creation, or Other?

Most 'Cache" drives supplied in this sort of configuration are typically 60 to 64GB drives - as this is the limitation of Intel's SRT (Smart Response Technology).

You could try pulling the 1TB drive, and performing a Win8 installation to the mSATA - You will have to change the SATA controller (The Intel SATA) to AHCI mode most likely...

I used an ADATA 64Gb SSD to decide if I wanted to go with SSD for my notebook, so Win8 WILL fit - You just don't have much room!

NewEgg has Samsung PRO SSD 256Gb for $215 - I picked up the Samsung EVO 256GB and it's *FAST* ...

That gives you something to chew on for a bit...

HTH

Patrick

#4 Pierre!, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  5. I have yet to purchase the mSata HDD. I was looking at this one based on some research.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-240GB-mSATA-Internal-CT240M500SSD3/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1JGQ00XU9MJMZ&coliid=I1U5C64MF7R3TP"]Amazon.com: Crucial M500 240GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD3: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PDup5RbXL.@@AMEPARAM@@41PDup5RbXL[/ame]

The computer will be used primarily as an entertainment center(streaming movies and TV shows.) aswell as going back to school with me when I go back.

I do not want to use the SSD as cache. I want to install the OS and my programs on the mSata SSD drive and use the 1TB hybrid Hard drive for my files(music, work files, school files, etc). Do I need to get a regular non Hybrid Hard drive to do this?

I am somewhat of a tech junkie, so I tend to get a level of performance that I am likely never going to reach. I also keep my computer for years so increased performance for me is a must. I have done a ton of reading and this setup seems to be a great setup and would take my already kick ass system to the next level.

That sound's like an awesome set up Pierre!

6. All a hybrid does is cache the most used things and store them on the ssd part of the hard drive. I would just get a fast regular hd if you want to save some money. Also, you should be able to use the msata drive as a os drive.

7. So there will be no incompatibility of any kind between the hybrid hard drive(already have one) and the SSD?

8. You can use both drive types together yes.

It's best to have a ssd as the main os drive with all or some of the programs you use most. That way os boots very fast and you can use the hybrid which I'm sure is just a type of hdd to store everything.

9. Why would there be? Each drive has it's own letter assignment.

10. I am not sure. These drives are new to me. But I want to make sure before I spend the money and purchase the SSD. I don't want to find out I need a regular harddrive.

11. I've used SSD's as my main os drive for about 5 years on different pc builds and I always have 2-4 more HDD's working along side the SSD's mainly for storage but you can also use the second and third ect ect drives for programs as well if and when your ssd gets full.
    A hybrid hard drive is just a drive that use the hdd platter(disk) with a solid state flash drive. So really if you want to keep the price down and use only a single drive just grab a larger hybrid as these are meant to store your os and main programs on the solid state part and then random and storage on the hdd. These drives were meant specifically for this so one doesn't have to buy a separate drive.