close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

All bravado aside.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by iluv2viddyfilms, Jul 4, 2011.

1. If I'm in public and someone robs where I'm at... the gas station or a restaurant, and I'm concealed carrying, I'm not going to do anything except exactly as the criminal asks me to.

The reasons are simple.

1. Why escalate the situation by getting out my firearm, increasing my likelyhood of death as well as the other patrons? The criminal is much more likely to not use his gun if I don't use mine. Also if I hit him firrst there's still a chance he can get a shot off.

2. I would much rather have my wallet of $40, driver's license, and bank card stolen than defend myself and pay thousands of dollars and hours in the courtroom and talking to lawyers.

DO you guys agree?

2. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    All depends on the situation. Too many variables to say for sure how I would react. Not going to shoot someone over a $5 item being stolen, but not going to let the robber decide my fate. It is not something that is just a clear cut choice that can be stated with 100% confidence IMO.

4. No real reason come to think of it. I don't need to carry, but actually my greatest fear to tell you the truth is dogs.

If I'm jogging or riding my bike I like to know that I don't have to worry about a pitbull attack... I had a friend who was attacked by one.

Other than dogs I'm really not afraid of anything or feel the need to carry.

5. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

Aug 10, 2005
    Florida
    Who is to say they won't shoot you if you do give it up. :dunno:

I'm not sure exactly what I would do, but I think I would try to hide first, and then pull out my weapon in case they do come for me.

6. True, no one really knows until we are in that situation.

But regarding other people controlling our fate... they do. We like to think we have control, but we really don't. Everyone whom you've ever upset or haven't upset controls your fate to a certain extent, but we know most people won't pull a gun and shoot us because we've insulted them. But is that OUR control of theirs?

7. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    I would like to think I would be 100% sure there was imminent risk of grievous bodily harm to myself or someone else before I would open fire.

If you over react, the DA (depending on the state and its political climate) is going to have a field day.

But even in a Nanny State like MA they will quickly clear you of criminal charges if it can be proven you faced a lethal threat (i.e., a thug merely leveling a firearm at you during the commission of a robbery qualifies).

8. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Sep 29, 2002
    Tennessee
    Yes I do.

9. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Films, have you ever heard of the phrase "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"?

You seriously think that you'd be better off by not getting the first shot off on a gun-wielding BG than you would by meekly saying "Yes sir, here's my wallet sir, please don't shoot!" For god's sake, that's why we carry in the first place, so we don't have to worry (as much) about being mugged, shot, stabbed, killed, etc. Or at the very least to have a better chance of surviving something like that.

Too many good citizens have died with the mistaken belief that nothing bad will happen to them, that armed robberies/muggings only happen on the 6:00 news to "other people." You can believe in the inherent goodness of your fellow man if you want to; I'm not as trusting.

10. bobelk99

bobelk99

Mar 1, 2005
    Central KY
    OP probably not a troll, but:

:agree:

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
  12. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I would keep my gun holstered and be a good witness until the robber points his weapon at me, then all bets are off.

13. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

May 13, 2008
    Port St. Lucie
    pit bulls are srs bizness.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  14. NeverMore1701

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    So you'd wait until someone trained a gun on you before you broke concealment, drew, and fired? God you must be fast!

15. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Apr 28, 2002
    Earth
    I tend to agree. If you are in a bank, and robbers come in to rob the bank and make no indication they are going to hurt anyone, it is best to let it play out. Of course, you are going to see some really eager folks getting in on this discussion. Too many people think CCW equals LEO.

I wonder though, if you did act and the ensuing gunfight got innocents killed, if you would face charges.

16. NeverMore1701

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    The way I understand it in Texas, if you shoot an innocent bystander on accident, you're in trouble. If the BG hits someone while shooting at you, no problem.

As with all of these hypothetical scenarios, my answer is "it depends". Basically, were I in such a predicament, do I feel that I am in immediate danger? If not, I'll just try to stay unnoticed and gather as much information as I can. If so, even a little, I'll try to wait until they're focused on something else and then make my move. Draw and fire, move to cover, or straight up run the **** away, again it depends on the circumstances.

17. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Bottom line is if someone has you at gun point at personal distance your odds of drawing, presenting and defending yourself are close to zero.

I have seen quite a few robberies in my career. Of those I can think of 4 where deadly force was actually used by the robber, in those situations 3 of the victims resisted. If those 3 people had not resisted would violence have been used? Who knows.

I just know being robbed is dangerous. Trying to use force against someone who has presented and is ready to use force is really really dangerous. Sometimes sitting there and complying will get you just as dead as if you pull a gun and lose. The is no good answer and no solution that will work every time.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    So don't carry a gun. That's your right and we'd probably all feel safer if YOU ddn't.

Here, a guy got robbed yesterday or the day before and when he told the robber he had no money, the robber shot him anyhow (for wasting his time I guess). He's recovering at the hospital. Contrary to the liberal line, that isn't very uncommon. Other robbers shoot you first, then search for your money. Good luck with your plan.