close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Alessi CQC/S

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by nickcarr, Jul 9, 2011.

1. nickcarr

nickcarr

Jun 6, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Hey all, I just learned of this myself but it looks like Brownells has a large selection of Alessi CQC/S in Black, Right hand holsters in stock. They even made a YouTube video in June showing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqhmt7fwOec

I owned one for an ex-HK USP Compact and it was a super comfortable and functional holster.

I've already ordered one for my Glock 31 and it'll be here Monday. If you haven't tried one of these, then I highly recommend one. It's great for CCW.

I'll post pictures next week.

2. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

Sep 26, 2006
    NC
    I've owned one for a g33 for years and always wondered how it'd do with my g31, please provide feedback on how it carries with yours if you can, thx for the heads up!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

3. rta108

rta108

Mar 21, 2009
    The CQC/S pales in comparison to the Mitch Rosen Premier, also available from brownells and less expensive.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    While I don't have a CQC-S yet, I have a couple Premiers. The premier is a different holster in that the front loop is offset. I find this allows the front of the gun to stick out too far when carrying at the 3:00... for me. It would appear the CQC-S does not do this.

The best I can compare it to would be the 5JR and 5JR-President. The Pres model is offset like the Premier. The basic 5JR works much better for me, and it how I see the CQC-S.

Best I can show this offset (below). The rear is the offset I describe in the 5JR President. This design allows all the pull to come from the back. I would assume this would work well in the 4:00 - 4:30 position, where the front is better hidden by the natural curve of the body. The standard 5JR pulls equally in the front and the back.

[​IMG]

5. nickcarr

nickcarr

Jun 6, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    While I haven't tried any MR holsters, I prefer the reinforced lining around the mouth of the holster. Also, the "less expensive" version isn't nearly as sexy. ;)
    You'd have to pay $160 for the full-detail model.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. I received a CQC/S for a Glock 17/22 et al as a gift a few months back, while an IWB is my preference, I have worn the CQC/S on several occasions and have found it comfortable and conceals well.

7. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

:rofl: :rofl:

8. AGAF

AGAF On a Journey

Oct 2, 2006
    Texas
    When I get my 4" 1911, this will be the holster that I carry it in.....looking forward to it!!!!

9. pens-66

pens-66

Nov 3, 2006
    Austintown,OH.
    I am very picky when it comes to OWB as far as I am anal about printing. I have gone thru many holster trying to find one that puts me at ease. The Alessi CQC/S works great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

Sep 26, 2006
    NC
    I had a MR premier and tried it for a few months. Wasn't happy with the quality of leather or workmanship so sold it. Glad you like yours though.

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Was this an "Express Line" model? Big difference in quality between the Express and standard Mitch Rosen holsters.

12. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

Sep 26, 2006
    NC
    I believe it was and I'm sure what you say is correct.

13. rta108

rta108

Mar 21, 2009
    I realize arguing holsters is like arguing blondes vs brunettes....

The offset construction is what makes this holster for me, personally. Belt tension does not affect draw resistance, and the holster stays open after the gun is out. I need this feature (LE).

The leather on my Alessi was so soft, i could close the opening and almost roll the holster into a loop. No lie. The rosen is the stiffest leather i've ever seen. Did I get a dud? I bought it from brownells.

Appearance is personal preference. However, you could triple layer reinforce the alessi and the rosen would still be stiffer. It's just the difference in the leather materials.

As far as i know, the express is the same as the "standard" detailed line, minus the detailing. The molding is still very good, retention excellent. The gun actually "pops" in when it seats all the way. Never seen a holster do that before.

just my 2 cents, gents. Based on one CQC/S i got from brownells.

14. rta108

rta108

Mar 21, 2009
    BuckyP, excellent description of the construction differences, BTW. Something for a prospective shopper to consider.

15. Apples to oranges. Both are great holsters that are designed to do different things.

I make holsters that are very similar to both. I actually talked with Lou about the CQC/S and it became (with a few changes) my Paladin.

The Rosen is a classic belt scabbard/pancake design with Mitch's own touches. The Rosen(and my scabbard) suck if your day requires you to remove your weapon frequently.

16. rta108

rta108

Mar 21, 2009
    I don't understand. The Rosen model we are discussing has snap loops as well, The Premier. He used pictures of Rosen's scabbard model, of similar construction, as an example.

17. Ohhhhhhhh. I missed that part. Sorry.

In that case, this is only my opinion, the Alessi is far superior to the Rosen design.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  18. nickcarr

nickcarr

Jun 6, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    The only nitpick about the CQC/S is that I would like to have my holsters cover up the magazine release, but I understand this can be sort of a pain with certain designs, especially with leather holsters. I still don't understand why most kydex holsters leave it exposed.

So I received my CQC/S on Monday and it's (of course) perfect in quality. As with all leather holsters (I've used) it has to go thru its initial break-in period. The included plastic bag is a bit on the thin side, so I'm using an old Milt Sparks plastic bag which is quite a bit thicker. After 2-3 days, it'll be perfect.

I'll post a couple of pictures in the next few days.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  19. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    I see no reason to have the mag release covered. If I bump or lean against something, my mag won't drop loose. If the release were covered and the same thing happened, the backside of the holster my activate the release.