close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Alaska as a safe haven in case of SHTF??

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by IndianaMatt, Feb 6, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Wife and I are planning a move to Alaska (for reasons entirely unrelated to SHTF preparedness). Specifically, the Anchorage area (both our jobs demand we be somewhat near a decent-sized town).

How is Alaska in general, and Anchorage in particular as a bug out location? I know there isn't much sun for growing your own food (I hear potatoes do very well, though) or living off solar panels year-round. But, all things considered, how would you fare in this state if things in the lower 48 really go downhill?

Thanks!

2. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Alaska has to get alot of stuff shipped to them. What if these shipments stop? Milk, vegetables, ect

3. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    This is absolutely true. In many ways, the state is not exactly self-sufficient, especially for food. But perhaps the fact that its population density is lowest of all the states would offer some solace from wandering, roving, pilaging hordes escaping big cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, or Dallas?

4. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    I assure you, that in a SHTF situation, the first things to get hoarded in Dallas will be IPhones, TVs, and alcohol. It will be weeks before the general population discovers that you can't wipe your ass with a laptop.

5. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If I had to guess, in a SHTF scenario, cellular services would crash due to nobody maintaining them. The internet would collapse as soon as power goes out. Cell phones and computers will be useless.

6. cheapshot

cheapshot

Oct 27, 2011
    Yuup.

7. I wish I could counter your statement, but I can't. :rofl:

8. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    as long as there is no big emp event. my laptop will be extremely useful. i have a massive library of survival, medical, and how to books on mine. and its a rather low power consumption device, i have gotten 10 hours straight of use on battery. bonus on a netbook. low power use, and recharges quickly.

wherever you are. get a paper library. the one on my laptop is light and was very cheap. but paper books last. i expand my paper library as i can afford it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  9. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    While the foregonig discussion on computer hardware as bathroom accoutrements is certainly enlightening, I was hoping somebody could address my original post.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Unless you're living in the middle of nowhere and are entirely self-sufficient, I don't really see much of an advantage. A lot depends on the specific SHTF scenario (as it always does). But yes, almost anywhere in Alaska would be infinitely better than NYC or Los Angeles but not necessarily better than say Wyoming or Montana or the Dakotas.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  11. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    By my count, here's some pros and cons of hiding away in the great AK:

Pros-
    1) Geographically removed from any major city and so from wandering hordes of starving, roving gangs,
    2) Geograhically far removed from US/Mexico border. The implications of that benefit in time of social collapse are so obvious, I won't get into them,
    3) Not a big concentration of urban poor, who would essentially turn to animals during SHTF,
    4) Very abundant fresh water supplies,
    5) Decent supply of game meat, at least more in the interior,
    6) Not a likely target in case of nuclear war or major terrorist attack, and
    7) SPACE - lots of space to get away in case of plagues, epidemics, etc.

Cons-
    1) Very short growing season for producing your own food,
    2) Not much usuable sunlight most of the year to generate solar power,
    3) If whatever government remains after SHTF to distribute aid, Alaska will probably be towards the bottom of the list of priority,
    4) Harsh winters will make it tough going without ready supply of fuel, diesel, gasoline.

12. jrayharder

jrayharder

Jul 14, 2006
    I lived in Anchorage for a while. There are two roads out of town. Both could be easily closed, one of them is occasionally closed because of avalanche. It's surrounded by the inlet and the mountains.

There are a lot of people in the Anchorage area. Wild game will disappear quickly.

Crime is bad and getting worse.

The scenery is great and if you like skiing, fishing, off roading, snowmachining, camping, etc. you have a lot of choices, anywhere from a short drive to a very long one.

You pay out the nose for anything shipped in.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

It's been made a subject of enough survival movies like Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Escape to Alaska, there's no infection.

14. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    This is how I envision many GT'ers going out during a disaster.

[​IMG]

15. Raiden

Raiden C&R Fun!

I remember there being an online site that let you put in a zipcode, and it would rate your risk during a nuclear conflict. I was a little surprised to see Anchorage was actually at high risk. I guess proximity to several threats, Elmensdorf AFB, Fort Richardson and several other early-warning radar installations make it a more-likely target.

16. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    Yeah that 24 hour sunlight isn't much. Ever heard of the MatSu Valley? Some of the best farming in the nation goes on there.
    But like another poster stated, you should probably stay away. We have enough Commandos already.