Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Alabama carry license

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DonMerlin, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DonMerlin

Feb 5, 2013
    Metro Atlanta
    Retirement (again) is a few years off and the Great State of Alabama has been suggested as possibility. Retirement taxing laws makes Georgia less attractive so a move is on my horizon. I am looking for some input from the Alabama delegation. What was the carry permit process like? Any additional input would also be nice.
    Thanks in advance.:cool:
  2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    shall issue at the sheriff's office. one year for $20 or 5 years for $100. back ground check and they take your pic. 15 minutes youre out of there with your permit.

3. KenMac

Nov 21, 2011
    In St. Clair County, it's about the same as getting checked for gun purchase. No picture on my permit, and $15 for a year. This was before the new law of 8/1/13, which supposedly has made it even better. Come on over and join us!!
  4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    Background check and pay the fee. Fees are set by the county sheriff, with most counties being around $25. Carry is no problem in AL.
  5. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    Each county sheriff sets the fee and process.

Jefferson County: $7.50 per year. No photo, three references.
  6. markerbeacon

Aug 3, 2012
    Madison, AL
    I moved here (Madison, AL) about two years ago from Seattle. I went to the Local Sheriff’s office to get my “Pistol Permit”. I walked in to the office and a lady was on the phone, she was also the Dispatcher on duty i.e. very busy talking on the phone and radio. I pointed at the sigh that said “Pistol Permit” and she handed me a one page form.

The Pistol permit application was simple to fill out, Name, Address, SSI, etc. BTW, all this time she was on the phone, we never exchanged “Hello” or “What can I do for you, etc” All pantomime gestures by me and her.

She took my application (took me less than 90 seconds to fill it out completely) and made some entries on here computer keyboard. I assumed she was running a background check. The Printer then started to spit out a piece of paper.

I had $15 cash in my hand and she stretched out her hand to take the money.
    The printer stopped and she handed the form to me and pointed at the block to sign my name. –I did and handed it back to her.

She made a copy of the form and handed the form back to me and that was it. I had my “Pistol Permit” in less than 5 minutes, start to finish. Permit is good for one year. Recently the law was changed; you can get a Pistol permit good for 5 years.

Best part – on Saturday you can use the drive up window to get your permit.

Welcome to Alabama
  7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    Moving to Alabama? I would suggest very [North] AL or somewhere on the coast. As far as guns go, Alabama is the very friendly and the permit process in most places takes a few minutes and cost anywhere from $10-$25.
  8. Tarheel72

Tarheel72 Go Heels!

Mar 14, 2002
    I too am looking at moving to Alabama in the not too distant future and would like someone there to clarify a few things for me. I am in Texas now with a valid permit.

First off I have read that you need to establish residence for six months before you can apply for a permit. Is this true? If so I assume I can carry on a valid out of state license that they recognize. Is any of this correct.

Second, I was told that if I moved out of state I could simply send in a change of address form to Texas DPS and they will change my Texas CHL from resident to a non resident. With the new Texas laws that have eliminated any classroom training for renewals and all renewals are online, then I guess I can keep that for as long as I want. But I assume it will not do me any good in Alabama, correct? By that I mean even if I have a Texas license, either a resident with a Texas address or non resident with an Alabama address, I will still need an Alabama license. Would one be any better than the other while I wait to get my Alabama CHL?

Last, is there any residency rules for things like drivers license, car tags, etc? I mean do you have to wait six months to establish residency for any of those?

9. markerbeacon

Aug 3, 2012
    Madison, AL
    First you need to transfer your Out of State Driver’s License (No Waiting Period). What you need is your Out-of-state driver license, Social Security card and $23.50 to purchase the license (no checks). Yes, you’ll have to make an appointment to get the Alabama License.

Once you get your Alabama Driver’s License, go to your Local Sheriff’s Office and apply for a Pistol Permit, there is no waiting period. Everything else you’ve head is pure B.S. As an example, to get my Electricity and Natural Gas turned on, all I needed was proof of ownership (or a mortgage). Easy, no waiting. same allies for your Pistol Permit.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013