close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Akido For Lawenforcement Officer?

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by Security Office, May 31, 2005.

1. Security Office

Security Office
    Expand Collapse

I am a private security officer now but am going to be a police officer soon. As a private leo I work dagerous sites such as bars. Is Akido a good for of defense? If not what do you reccomend? I rulled out tae kwon do.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Hookkicks

Hookkicks
    Expand Collapse

Akido is good if you are willing to put the time in.

3. gr81disp

gr81disp
    Expand Collapse
    Bushbot v1.0

Aikido is useful but VERY hard to master and must come close to mastering it to put it to use in a real situation. I would suggest Muay Thai kickboxing, Kali stick fighting, and, as anyone who has read my posts before knows, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Bjj). That should help you with all ranges, but if you want just one art to study, I would personally suggest Bjj.

4. MARTIN FISHER

MARTIN FISHER
    Expand Collapse

Find a good Judo school. Most of what police officers do is simply moving people who do not want to be moved. Most offenders will not fight an officer until the officer grabs or attemps to grab the suspect. Judo is a good base art, is fairly common and adding strikes and submissions latter on will be simple. And you get to throw people around, which is always fun.

Oh, and spend some money on some real firearms trainining, pulling the trigger on a gun will either be the best choice you ever make as an officer or the worst.

5. garythenuke

garythenuke
    Expand Collapse

Aikido is an okay art, but as mentioned above, extremely hard to master. You have to hope that you get a decent school. Many of them are so concerned with the ki-of-the-universe-flowing-thorough-you-peace-love-harmony stuff that you get very little uselful information.
    Aikido can even become tedious if you let it. The good things about aikido are that it can be a good workout, it does wonders in helping with your body mechanics, and it can be spectacular to watch.
    In aikido, regardless of the roots of the "art", the one taking the technique, the uke I believe, knows what is coming from the one doing the technique, the tori I think. It becomes more of a dance with one person following the other's lead.
    Even when you get to the randori, everyone knows what is coming, so the techniques really do not get tested. The argument is that the uke has to go with the technique to avoid getting hurt. Well that is fine, but it also helps the tori do the technique because otherwise the technique does not work.
    I was very lucky to train with a guy who ran a very traditional dojo. He had trainied with Saito in Japan. My sensei was amazingly good, but he had been doing it for over 30 years. If you have access to this type of direct lineage school and have 30 years to devote to it, then Aikido is the way to go.

6. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai
    Expand Collapse
    Sensei Member

Being an aikidoka myself, I would say, don't get into it unless you intend to make it a long-term study. If your sole intent is to develop a few skills for restraining persons, you'd probably be better served with a police DT course (which will be cheaper, less time-consuming, and more liability-defensible- which ought to be a major concern for a private security company).

7. Jasestrong

Jasestrong
    Expand Collapse

I have to say Judo and Ju Jitsu is what standard police defensive tactics come from. Arm Bars, wrist locks, Transporters, and my favorite chokes. Now we are not suppose to choke the fine citizens when we arrest them but we can place our arm across their chest and as the resist and pull away the arm comes to rest over the airway or the Arteries. I have been in Law enforcement for the past 15 years and i used chokes for those 15 years. Judo and Ju Jitsu are easy styles to pick up and use effectively. you can spend a day/2 hours in the dojo and walk out with 1 to 3 techniques that you can use. of course you must practice

Jason

8. bunkerbuster

bunkerbuster
    Expand Collapse

Let me be honest.

Akido/hapkidos are good martial art, but doing steven segal stuff(crap) is just risking it.

Honestly, if i do not have time and have to take akido, i would just rather take those taser classes.

However, if you do have lots of time to train yourself, I would probably do Judo, or wrestling. One day, there will be one time that someone may resist arrest.

9. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

agree:cool:

10. robwebbg22

robwebbg22
    Expand Collapse
    DeOppressoLiber

Get your butt in the weight room get strong an learn some basic joint manipulation techniques an solid moves to put the perp on their back or face. I took 6 years of karate an enjoyed it but in a fight I am gonna break the guys lower leg with a LOW kick sweep an a force shot/shove to the neck. An pick up the mess.

11. Shady

Shady
    Expand Collapse
    Under the tree

Hapkido and Aikido are just barely kissing cousins. Think of Hapkido as Korean flavored variety of Jujutsu, which which makes a pretty decent police technique base.

Jujutsu is a combat form of Judo (more correctly, judo is the nice-ified version of Jujutsu). Depending on the style, Jujutsu can be excellent police training. Most incorporate strong atemi (punches and other strikes) with direct physical joint manipulation of the unfriendly kind, with ground fighting and chokes. You're going to spend time and collect plent of bruises to get good at it.

Don't sell short Aikido, for that matter. As Roundeye can affirm, there are styles that aren't so gentle, but not that you're going to be good at inside of a couple years.

12. Deputydave

Deputydave
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Correct. To be more specific, Hapkido is Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu and was coined around 1958 as a separate entity. There are various flavors of Hapkido, but that is the original root.

13. rwojcik

rwojcik
    Expand Collapse

try Eskrima

14. sport69

sport69
    Expand Collapse

find a style that deals with presure point strikes very good in real life conflicts!

15. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai
    Expand Collapse
    Sensei Member

That's extremely debateable, but is probably better fodder for a thread of its own.

16. jsbcody

jsbcody
    Expand Collapse

Defensive Tactics Seminars are good for learning or sharpening new skills, but I would recommend studying some form of martial arts.The problem with seminars is you are great doing the techniques for about 3 to 4 weeks and then you start to get sloppy or rusty. Studying a martial art will keep your techniques crisp and in good form. Also you get the benefit of trying techniques against people of different shapes and sizes. Jujutsu, Hapkido, Kenpo, or Kuk Sool Won would be good arts for a security officer or LEO. Even Tae Kwon Do might be good depending on the instructor. My first TKD instructor found out 3 of us in the class were LEOs and after class he would go over joint locks, arm bars, and take downs. Nice basic stuff that is damn near 100% effective. I have always been a firm believer in the KISS Principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Big Dawg #1triple4

17. zoobie

zoobie
    Expand Collapse
    just some guy
    Millennium Member

I've been an Aikidoist (a.s.u.) for 8 years now and I'm starting to get a handle on Aiki.
    Aikido is a very good course of study for leo's as it reinforces compassion and choosing the less harmfull reaction to any basic angle of attack while keeping centered and on one's feet. BJJ on the other hand seeks to go to the ground one on one which often leads to the police officer being dead.

18. jsbcody

jsbcody
    Expand Collapse

Aikido is a very good course of study for leo's as it reinforces compassion and choosing the less harmfull reaction to any basic angle of attack while keeping centered and on one's feet. BJJ on the other hand seeks to go to the ground one on one which often leads to the police officer being dead.

I'm going to have to disagree based on my 20 year plus experience as a LEO. Being compassionate in the Dojo is one thing, dealing with a cracked up or meth addict trying to kill you is another. Also I am unaware of any BJJ trained officer being killed. I am pretty sure I would have read something as I get all the Street Survival emails on officer deaths. Most officer deaths occur when an officer is too nice and compassionate. A training class I had recently was an analysis of officer deaths and deadly force. Almost all the deceased officers were described as "nice compassionate officers", "friends with everyone".....except the the nut case that killed them.

Big Dawg #1triple4

19. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai
    Expand Collapse
    Sensei Member

I'm also not familiar with any aikido-trained officer being killed, either. The 'pacifism' (for want of a better word) of aikido is considerably different from what you're describing.

In fact, Yoshinkan aikido is mandatory training for many special police units in Japan, and I wouldn't consider any Japanese cop to be "softies".

20. jsbcody

jsbcody
    Expand Collapse

With aikido, it is a matter of what you are looking for. Unlike most martial arts, aikido has many faces and styles. Most of the techniques are probably the same but the philosphy behind the techniques is vastly different. I have seen several schools of "soft style" aikido and several "hard style" aikido. Everytime I hear compassion used with aikido I associate it with the soft styles. I trained at hard style school while stationed in Hawaii. Almost all the class was military and civilian cops. It was fantastic! Yes the hard style aikido that the Japanese police are trained in is great for the street and real life situations.

Now having said all that, I do know several instances where officers who were studing soft style aikido (and other soft styled martial arts) were injured when their techniques didn't perform as advertised. I have also seen this happen to hard stylists also. No grappling art or striking art is the end all be all that will solve all problems. No technique is 100% just like no two situations are the same. Doing techniques in the Dojo is not the same as a situation on the street. I have had subjects fighting me in small hallways, in bathrooms, in cars, you name it. For most cases in police work, joint locks, arm bars, take downs are effective but there are those times when you have to rely on other measures, kicking, punching, eye gouges, even biting.

Like a Federal Marshal once told me: "I'm paid to win, not fight fair."

Big Dawg #1triple4