AK74 TANTAL PDW project completed

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mike g35, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Finished up this project completely today, this is my AK74 (5.45x39mm) Tantal P.D.W. (Personal Defense Weapon). I got the AK in a trade, added a MidWest Industries aluminum extended quad rail, US PALM battle grip, MAGPUL RVG vertical foregrip, a NC Star Green laser, NC Star 66 lumen tatical light on an offset mount, ProMag rail covers, and a CMore STS with rail mount. I didn't want to sink a whole lot into the gun. I was suprised at how well the NC Star stuff worked and the CMore I already had and since it was just sitting in a box doing nothing I thought I might as well put it to use. The gun handles great and is also suprisingly accurate. Adding a one point sling and keeping the stock folded it gives me a nice small PDW that is capable of taking targets out to at least 200 meters. Just thought I would share, even if you don't like AK's I think this one looks good and will appeal to everyone in some way.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Waffen Werks AK74 VS. Interarms Polish Tantal The Kalashnikov Klub Nov 29, 2012
    Finished my AK74 Tantal project The Kalashnikov Klub Apr 3, 2012
    Polish Tantal AK74 rifle, 5.45x39 caliber, by CAI - $399.95 Sponsor Showcase Mar 30, 2012
    AK74 Firearms Listings Jun 14, 2015
    500$ ak74s The Kalashnikov Klub Apr 21, 2015

3. nice setup!!! I agree about the nc star green laser, I bought one to play with and it's always worked great and has a bright beam

4. Good looking ak , how well does the wire stock hold up to recoil?

5. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

Although I prefer wood on AKs, I have to say, NICE JOB!:wow:

I did something similar with a Yugo SKS that came out real nice.

CONGRATS!

TGG

6. Very cool :thumbsup:

I'm looking at AK74s myself right now

7. J_P

J_P

That is nice, I want one now!

8. Like what you did with that Rifle. Am thinking I might get an AK myself, never had one.

9. Looks great.

1911club#410

10. The stock works great. It only shoots a 5.45x39mm round so there really isn't any recoil to speak of and there's a whole lot less now that I have all the gear, the vertical grip, and the aluminum quad rail on it. The gun shoots great, the stock is only being used for long range work anyway. Cowitnessing the red dot and green laser and moderate ranges with the stock folded to the side makes the gun a VERY compact and effective PDW. I shot it completely setup this morning, I put 90 rounds downrange at targets from 11 yards to somewhere around 70. I had zero issues and I am thinking about going out and shooting a few steel targets I got from MGM later today and putting up some video. Thats one of the best things about the AK74 and the 5.45 round, I can shoot all I want because the ammo is dirt cheap.
    Thanks for all the compliments!!!:supergrin:

11. Just wanted to add that if you guys are looking for an AK type rifle right now you better jump on the first one that passes your way. Its an election year and they are getting hard to find. Of course I didn't want a 47, I wanted the 74 Tantal so being picky made it tough to find one for me. Believe it or not I traded for mine on the GT classifieds. I had a XDM I picked up in a trade and a guy here had the tantal. Turned out he only lived 15 miles from me also so it was an easy trade. Thats what you call luck!!!

12. The_Gun_Guru

You poor lost soul:wavey:

Come over to the AK side.

AR is so over-rated!:tongueout:

Seriously......you don't know what you're missing!:wavey:

TGG

13. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Definitely get one. They are fun as heck to shoot.

14. I wouldn't say AR's are over-rated, I would say AK's are very VERY UNDER-rated. I went ahead and ordered a few more things to actually round out this project, an extended magzine release, an extended and vertical charging handle I found at Carolina Shooters Supply, and 3 TAPCO Intrafuse magazines (30 round mags with flat dark earth finish).

#13 mike g35, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  15. The_Gun_Guru

I like the TAPCO FDE a lot on my Yugo SKS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TGG

16. Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

17. Thanks!!!

18. Good work! :wavey:

19. Thank you as well. I snuck out a few days ago and shot the rifle at a 1/2 scale IPSC target I got from MGM Targets. At 100 yards hitting the target from a rest was simple. The gun groups tighter than one would expect from an AK. The only problem I have had is the screws loosening on the quad rail. Why did they come loose? Because I had forgot to put the supplied loc-tite on them during installation. But I added it as soon as I got home.....problem solved.