close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AK rub down with the Frog

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by uz2bUSMC, May 11, 2013.

1. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    Been using it for a while and I'm set on it. I use it on all of my weapons but I think I've been most impressed with the results on my M10 the most. I polished the action which helped tremendously but the FL just makes it so damn slick. Anyone else usin' this stuff?

2. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    Not me, I'm a pretty simple guy, I just use CLP on everything. It worked just fine in the military, so I stick with it.

3. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    I was going to try it out till I saw that corrosion test on M4carbine.net.
    Good lube it may be, but it's nothing special in the rust inhibitor department.
    If it was better than Breakfree CLP at inhibiting rust I would have tried it out for sure, but it's not and I already have a ton of CLP. lol

4. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    Brotha, I have seen a lot of tests on FL and most showed it to be an outstanding inhibitor. I think the top competitor against it is Ballistol if memory serves correctly and not by a wide margin. Some of the tests prove to be deceiving when you first look at a sample because it will appear to have a layer of rust but in the end the FL seems to lift the rust from the surface where it is easily wiped off.

5. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    That was pretty much my situation. What really got me on the research was motor oil. I always have some Mobil 1 laying around so I figured I'd see how it compares to basic firearm lubes. If it worked as good or better than CLP I would make the change. Turns out it's pretty much useless except for preventing friction wear...obviously. That research eventually came back to FL. Also, since it seems I'm on FL's nutz here, just want to say I don't work for them or sell it...I just love the stuff.:supergrin:

6. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I think my Arsenal AK owners manual specifically recommends CLP.
    I've been a Ballistol guy for a while.
    Had read that somethings taking the finish off of AKs though.
    So I emailed the distributor and they gave the OK to Ballistol.

I've got +1000 rounds on my SLR-106U.
    Cleaned/lubed many times using Ballistol with no problems.

7. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    I'm pretty set in this department. I use tw25b on my rails and most friction points. This stuff can be messy but nothing I have found is near as good. I use CLP as a rust inhibitor because three of my Ak's are Arsenals. I definitely have no plans to put anything else on my rails. I would lean towards Ballistol over Frog Lube because that seems to be the preference from people who have tried both.

8. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    Talking about Ballistol, it is also great for corrosive ammo unlike CLP (or similar stuff).

9. {BMF}7.62x39

{BMF}7.62x39

May 10, 2006
    Frog Lube is on every gun I own. For my Ak's especially, I have found that it smokes less than any lube out there. This has been the only lube that after some serious shooting (1,080 rounds in two hours) I have been able to see my front site the whole time. I mean zero smoke. Got to love the 15 round stripper clips for the 74. Too bad I smoked my new ironwood designs handguards in the process.

10. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    I use FL on my AK's, my blued guns, my parked guns, my stainless guns, everything.

11. Jbehredt

Jbehredt

Dec 14, 2012
    Westminster , CO
    Love the frog lube. Finally switched the sig over after some apprehension. Glad I did. Was nice scrapping all the old cleaning gear.

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    I've got it on 4 guns currently and like it. I'm not a huge 'wonderlube' kind of guy; lots of lubes work well. So far, froglube seems to get the job done.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOxNu8YeN4"]FrogLube CLP Test, Application, and Review (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

13. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    I'm also not big on the newest and greatest wonderlube which is why I haven't bothered to try many of them. I'm glad I jumped on the FL bandwagon, though. It will be many years before I re-investigate the next wonderlube.:supergrin:

14. Jbehredt

Jbehredt

Dec 14, 2012
    Westminster , CO
    If it only works as well as anything else it's worth it for the smell, or lack thereof. The wife despises clp, I came home too many days smelling like it for 6 years. A little minty. Ask somebody to smell your gun and see the reaction you get. " no seriously, smell it, it's nice!"

Last edited: May 19, 2013