close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AK leaves a dimple in the round

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Turtle13, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    My brother in law has a Romanian AK. His firing pin will leave a small dimple in the primer of the round when you chamber it. His firing pin just wobbles around. You can actually hear it if you shake the gun.

I'm looking to purchase an AK, I'm strongly considering a Saiga from Kvar. If I decided on a Romanian is this dimpling something that's common? It sure is not something I'm comfortable with.

2. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    It is very common.
    It shouldn't be an issue, but that is why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when you load it, for the just in case factor.

3. Dragunov54

Dragunov54 7.62 x 54R

Sep 20, 2008
    Freeport, Florida
    Turtle13,

Yes, it is common for the firing pins on AK and AK Variant rifles to leave a dimple mark on the primers. This is due to the firing pin being free floating, without a spring containing the firing pin. So when shaking the bolt, you should hear the pin move freely. However, when the round is chambered, the inertia from the free floating firing pin within the bolt, will travel slightly forward just enough to dimple the primer. This is also common on AR15's/M4 rifles. So, go ahead and purchase that Saiga.

4. andyffer

andyffer

May 30, 2009
  5. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    My concern was really with the Romanians. Classic Arms has one with a 6 position stock which I like and is almost half the cost of the Siaga SGL I have my eye on.

Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it? I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?

And just for the record, I always keep my firearms pointed in a safe direction when chambering.

6. Dragunov54

Dragunov54 7.62 x 54R

Sep 20, 2008
    Freeport, Florida
    Buy the Classic Arms.

Depends on what the receiver can accept, but I have not seen any Saiga not accepting anything besides double stack mags.

Couldn't tell you. What is the benefit in filing your mag release?

7. GerryV

GerryV

Mar 21, 2009