close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AK leaves a dimple in the round

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Turtle13, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turtle13

Turtle13
    Expand Collapse
    Ni!

My brother in law has a Romanian AK. His firing pin will leave a small dimple in the primer of the round when you chamber it. His firing pin just wobbles around. You can actually hear it if you shake the gun.

I'm looking to purchase an AK, I'm strongly considering a Saiga from Kvar. If I decided on a Romanian is this dimpling something that's common? It sure is not something I'm comfortable with.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

It is very common.
    It shouldn't be an issue, but that is why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when you load it, for the just in case factor.

3. Dragunov54

Dragunov54
    Expand Collapse
    7.62 x 54R

Turtle13,

Yes, it is common for the firing pins on AK and AK Variant rifles to leave a dimple mark on the primers. This is due to the firing pin being free floating, without a spring containing the firing pin. So when shaking the bolt, you should hear the pin move freely. However, when the round is chambered, the inertia from the free floating firing pin within the bolt, will travel slightly forward just enough to dimple the primer. This is also common on AR15's/M4 rifles. So, go ahead and purchase that Saiga.

4. andyffer

andyffer
    Expand Collapse

im not sure if my lancaster does this

5. Turtle13

Turtle13
    Expand Collapse
    Ni!

My concern was really with the Romanians. Classic Arms has one with a 6 position stock which I like and is almost half the cost of the Siaga SGL I have my eye on.

Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it? I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?

And just for the record, I always keep my firearms pointed in a safe direction when chambering.

6. Dragunov54

Dragunov54
    Expand Collapse
    7.62 x 54R

Buy the Classic Arms.

Depends on what the receiver can accept, but I have not seen any Saiga not accepting anything besides double stack mags.

Couldn't tell you. What is the benefit in filing your mag release?

7. GerryV

GerryV
    Expand Collapse