close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AK front sight interchangeability

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by dgposton, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dgposton

dgposton

Feb 27, 2009
    Can you mix and match AK front sights on different barrels? I'm actually looking to replace the AK-74 FSB on my '74 with an AKM front sight and am wondering if it matters whether I get a Romanian, Bulgarian, or Russian one.

2. Nicoroshi

Nicoroshi Avid Shooter

Nov 14, 2008
    The liberal playground

3. dgposton

dgposton

Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks for the chart.

Let me ask you all this question: Is it preferable when adding a non-stock front sight to get one with or without the holes pre-drilled? If I get one wit the pre-drilled holes, will they line up right?

4. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    I would get one without the holes pre-drilled, if you can. It is not that hard to match up new holes to the existing notches on the barrel if you take your time and be patient. Pre-drilled holes may not necessarily line up and you'll wind up with oblong openings on the FSB. I have noticed when installing un-drilled FSBs and GBs that the drills will self-align once they start on the barrel notches.

5. dgposton

dgposton

Feb 27, 2009
    So does this one look good to go?

http://aa-ok.com/akm-front-sight-assembly-square-hole.html

Do I need to purchase the pins too if I am having a gunsmith do this for me, or will they likely already have them?

6. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    No, the FSB inside diameter is larger than the AK-74 barrel, so it may be loose. As for the pins, I would suggest purchasing them. And be sure to use a gunsmith familiar with the AK series.