AK Ammo

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by China boy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. I want to stock up on AK ammo for the summer. I have my first Ak, an O-PAP. It seems everyone shoots steel case ammo as it is cheap and Aks seem to eat anything. Then I will hear someone say "I wouldnt use that crap in my gun".

For an AK, what could happen if you use cheaper steel case ammo?

What else is there besides steel case available for AKs that isnt expensive?

Is there any AK ammo that everyone should avoid?

Thanks for any replies!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Army’s New Handgun Program is About Ammo, Too The Okie Corral Today at 3:31 PM
    Purpose of flat nose ammo? Caliber Corner Today at 2:54 PM
    Buffalo Bore Ammo Caliber Corner Tuesday at 4:26 PM
    How much ammo do you have? General Glocking Tuesday at 12:49 PM
    Wolf WPA Polyformance Ammo any good? General Glocking Saturday at 12:03 PM

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Steel cased ammo is what AK's were made for... Shooting them will have absolutely no ill effect on your rifle. Anyone that says they wouldn't use that crap in their guns (referring to AK's) has no idea what they're talking about.

You can buy brass cased 7.62x39, but you're going to pay more for it than steel, and it works no better.

Just get a few cases of steel cased ammo and go have fun. Don't overthink ammo for an AK.

4. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Anybody that says they don't run steel cased ammo through an AK is on crack and is a blithering idiot that doesn't know jack shiite about commie guns and should be ignored.

Your AK will eat any steel case ammo known to man. I shoot Wolf and Tula without a problem. Brass cased 7.62x39 is prohibitively expensive so avoid that unless you got money running out of your pores.

My advice, buy it cheap and stack it deep. I can remember, not to long ago, when a 1000 round case of Wolf was $70 bucks. Now you're looking at $225-$250.

5. Steel is a GO for any AK. Shoot the crap out of it. I can't even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of steel case ammo has went through my Mak-90 and my VEPR and previously owned AKs with 0.0 problems. The only brass case ammo I have is a couple of cases of Yugoslavian ammo (which is corrosive but shoots very accurate for mil surp ) and a few boxes of soft point commercial hunting ammo.

I do tend to stay away from the HP ammo though. It tends to get hung up on the tip occasionally .

6. AK's were built for steel cased ammo with bi metal jacket bullets. Buy it and shoot it all you want with no worries.

Now, there is some concern with American guns designed for brass cased ammo with copper plated bullets. Though I saw a really great test done on that once that proved that while it did hurt the barrels and extractors after 10K rounds or so (atleast in an AR-15) but it was still cheaper to buy the steel cased ammo and replace those parts then buy all that ammo as brass cased.

FWIW, I shoot a lot of steel cased ammo out of my GLOCK as well and it's never been an issue.

7. Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I wish 1000 rounds were still $70. Id be shooting daily. Im going to buy me some ammo. Right now im refinishing the wood furniture which is taking me longer than expected as I feel I can strip the wood forever and cosmolone still runs out of certain cracks. Ill order some ammo which should come in right when the weather should get warmer for some outdoor shooting.

8. As mentioned, any naysayers are simply misinformed.
    In fact, all Russian military weapons made in the last 100+ years were designed for steel-cased ammunition.

9. Golden Tiger is the answer to all of your problems.

10. Speaking of AK Ammo.

Wonder what the odds are that this whole Russia/Ukraine thing and the US and EU talking about sanctions will lead to a ban on importing Russian Ammo.

If that happened Cheap ammo for the AK would pretty much be gone.

11. I've been stocking up some more with this in mind.

Part of my semi-paranoid psyche wonders if the administration goes through with sanctions that affect AKs and related ammo and parts, they'll keep sanctions on those items intact once sanctions for other items are lifted. Hence, "sneaking in" some more gun control.

12. Ballistic

Ballistic Glock Holiday

Good Stuff that GT.

13. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

It's some of my favorite.

14. Not meaning to tread in tin foil hat territory. However it does seem kind of odd that we back demos there. Now we know we are not going to strike militarily at Russia, and all this comes down after Kalashnikov announces it wants to sell 200,000 rifles and shotguns in the US and Canada. Awful convenient for a gun controller.

15. WayaX

Lifetime Member

Other countries are putting out steel case ammo than Russia. Prices may go up some, but it won't be armageddon.

One thing to note about your O-pap is that it is not chrome lined. You'll probably get accelerated wear from the bi-metal jacket. This will be worse if you shoot a high volume in a short time. That being said, I only run Tula and Wolf in my AKs do to price.

16. G23c

prices are dropping for range ammo. starting to see it at $220-230 per 1000 rounds. getting close to my go to number.

17. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Commie guns are good to go with steel case ammo. I agree. Don't over think ammo in a AK or SKS for that matter.

18. G23c

this. and load up on it. "you cannot have too much ammo unless you are drowning or on fire." :supergrin:

19. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

what can go wrong using cheap ammo in an ak...

your accuracy can suffer.

dude...it's an ak. it's not a match rifle.

the thing was made to be cleaned in a relatively clean puddle. steel cased ammo is fine. it's also relatively cheap.

that's the other point of an ak.

20. [​IMG][​IMG]

All I shoot is steel case through my m92, and I mean 10s of thousands of rounds

21. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Somebody needs to lift the ChiCom import ban that Klinton put in place. I remembered the days of dirt cheap NORINCO ammo in a multitude of calibers.