AK 47's with Folding Stocks

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by akapennypincher, Nov 9, 2012.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

How bad is the RECOIL?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WayaX

Lifetime Member

Which type of folding stock?

The fact that a stock folds does increase or decrease the felt recoil.

I think what annoys people who dislike folders (underfolders in particular) is the lack of cheek-weld on the more minimalist ones. This becomes even more of an issue when using optics.

If you're shooting an AK-47 and are worried about recoil you can do two things that will make a bigger difference than stock type:

1) Get a good brake. The 74-style brake works well, though it is also a flash enhancer.

2) Get an AK in 5.45 or 5.56.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall HildabeastHater

The recoil is insignifcant, it's an intermediate cartridge anyway. Add a little rubber tubing or patch as a pad if it bothers you.

4. Waya nailed it.

It's not about recoil, that's minor in any AK, it's the lac of a comfortable cheek weld. I've got an under older that I rarely shoot simply because I hate the cheek weld. I prefer the traditional fixed stock for two reasons, comfort and I can get my sights on target quicker.

Just my opinion.

5. #5 smokin762, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. Get a buttpad.

7. I've got a wire folding stock. It's fine for me...but then again, I didn't vote for Obama.:supergrin:

8. #8 ezdaar, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

No problemo.

10. +1. 9yr olds in Somalia shoot AKs...

11. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

The recoil on any AK is negligible. Try a Moisin Nagant M-38. Nothing like a 7.62x54 in a carbine to put some hair on your chest.
    Seriously though, just be sure to keep the AK, or any rifle, nice and tight against the shoulder and the felt kick will be a lot less.

12. MeanAction

MeanAction MeanAction

Negligible. The issue I see is the underfolder not being along the axsis of the bore and not getting a good cheek weld. It's more of a jaw weld.

13. This is true playing with my first AMD. I need a forgiving red dot.

14. MeanAction

MeanAction MeanAction

Yeah, I'm rocking a Aimpoint Comp M so there is really no need for a cheek weld. Stand at the ready. Focus on your target. Take weapon off safe. Raise weapon till the dot is on your target. Pull the trigger. Stay focused on your target throught process.

15. Or burn it off with the subsequent fireball.

Honestly if the recoil on one's AK is too much for them then a good muzzle device will solve that problem.

16. The pros of a good cheek weld is being overlooked.

As far as recoil goes. I doubt there is a person here that can hold their sights on a target w/o them moving under recoil.

17. My experience is with an interarms underfolder. Slightly uncomfortable with the factory slant brake for recreational shooting. Under stress I would never notice it it would be a non-issue. I replaced my slant brake with the PWS FSC47 and that made a big difference, not uncomfortable at all.

18. I've got a Polish Tantal AK-74, which has the E. German wire side folder. Not uncomfortable at all.

19. Same here. I just shot 100 rds with my Polish underfold not much difference against standard butt stock. I actually prefer it now, it looks intimidating at the range

20. You might try a cheek riser from amd65tech.com. I've got one coming for mine, and it appears to be a good solution to the problem. We shall see.