Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

AIWB / Holster help

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cotton617, Jan 6, 2013.

1. cotton617

Jul 28, 2012
    So I've been carrying a Gen 4 Glock 19 in a CompTac MTAC holster @ the 4/5 o'clock position for the past 6 months. I've tried to adjust and get comfortable but it just is not happening. The G19 is simply to heavy and too thick, also I don't think the 4/5 o'clock carry is for me. It's extremely uncomfortable driving and any other time you have to sit, especially say at a bar stool I become paranoid about my firearm being exposed and I find myself constantly checking to ensure my clothes are covering.

So the weight and size of the G19 have brought me to buying a PPS. I will be purchasing it tomorrow. Also, I am going to be in need of a new holster, and I think that AIWB should be given a try. Will this be a better position for driving and sitting? Also I will no longer have to second guess whether or not my weapon is exposed.

Holsters, I am looking for extreme comfort and extreme concelmeant. After a quick preliminary search I read a lot of positives reviews about the Fist #1ak holster. I looked into it and I'm not sure this is the route I want to go, the website and the whole ordering process seem suspect. I also stumbled upon a lot of negatives customer service stories with the company.

I then stumbled across High Noon Holsters, wow these look great. Does anybody have any suggestions in regards to choosing between the various models? Do I want high ride or low ride? Etc...
    Is AIWB going to work better then behind the hip for me?

2. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    You're on your own as far as selecting a dedicated AIWB holster. I have no experience there.

I'm 5'11" and about 160#. I've got a CompTac CTAC holster for my G30 and I'm ok with it. I wear it about the same spot as you.

I don't know what you're built like but, with regards to AIWB carry I would think AIWB would be very uncomfortable to anyone in advanced stages of Dunlop's disease, especially while sitting.

How about a Remora holster? If you're trying to find a good spot around your waist a Remora can be worn anywhere IWB. They can be adjusted for cant angle and depth, too. For around $30 you can experiment. Then, when you've found a comfortable spot you can splurge on a more expensive holster.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

3. 1sharpedge

Dec 14, 2008
    Try PJ holsters, nice kydex holster for AIWB, and ships fast!
  4. up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    If you truely want to carry AIWB there's a very short list of holsters that should be considered. CCC Shaggy, JM Custom AIWB, Dark Star Gear AIWB, Keeper, 5 Shot SME, JRC CDA-AIWB. Honestly, thats it. Skip anything from a "big" company. In a well designed, purpose built AIWB holster the gun will be comfortable and disappear. FWIW I carry a Gen4 G19 in one of three holsters, Shaggy, JM and JRC.
  5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Have you ever thought of carrying that G19 in a shoulder holster?
  6. cfrye11

Nov 19, 2012
    Any holster that holds the gun at 4 -5 O'Clock is going to be a hard to conceal and horrible to sit with. Look for something in the 3 o'clock position more on your hip not your back.

molan labe
  7. Las Vegan

Las Vegan

Sep 6, 2010

I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. and I carry a G19 in a Kydex AIWB daily. Like anything new, there is a period of getting used to it, but now I don't even think about it.

High or low ride will depend on how far down you are comfortable with the muzzle against your body when you are sitting. Take a look at pictures of the holsters that have been suggested here to get an idea of how that will translate for your body and pistol. Some holsters are adjustable to some degree for height of rise, degree of cant, and other variables; you may wish to consider this prior to purchase. Will AIWB be better than behind the hip foryou? Yes to concealment, but only you can answer as to comfort.

For me, Kydex AIWB was an eye opener, and nothing since has been better forme in terms of comfort, concealment, and quick accessibility. Funny thing, Irecently purchased a Kydex IWB single mag holder that I wear at 11:00o'clock, directly opposite the G19 to the left of my belt buckle, and I'mhaving a much more difficult time getting comfortable with it than I did with the pistol holster. The nice thing about Kydex is that I can use a file and/or a heat gun to fine tune it to my body.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  8. 4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
  9. SWIll

May 31, 2012
    Whatever works for you and your body type. I use a Galco sto n go at about 2 o'clock with a j frame revolver. Comfortable, stays put, can get a good grip on it during the draw.
  10. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    What belt are you using?
  11. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Feb 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I carry a HK P2000 AIWB all the time with a High Noon "Public Secret" holster in horse hide with clip. Very comfortable and hides very well. Superb quality. Bill
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  12. wayne

wayne Millennium Member

Jul 14, 1999
    nixa,mo usa
    I carry a G19 IWB using a RM low rider at the 3:00 position. For me, this is a very comfortable holster and I have no problems sitting and driving with this on. This is the most concealable and comfortable of all of the holsters I've tried.

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Good for you. The G19 is a great CCW gun.