close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Air rifle experts????

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Doc McGlock, May 13, 2013.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Doc, sounds like a RWS model 34 is what you want. Get a Hawke scope(best pellet gun scopes for the money).

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Among many others, I have the Hammerli 850 CO2 airgun in both 22 and 177.

For under $300 you get a bolt action 8 shot airgun that can take pigons or squirrles out to 40yrd. (Refub from the distributor for $140!)

Kit comes with a decent scope also.

My .22 has many thousands of rounds threw it. I shot it so much I bought the 177 because pellets are so much cheaper. Shot it also many thousands of times. Maybe paid for new gun with the savings. (maybe)

You can do a cheap and easy modification (called the spring mod) and increase the stock power 25%. Some guys have really tricked them out (20FPE in a CO2 is rare, but doable), I only did the spring mod. Dead pigeon is a dead pigeon, mod just made a 50y shot easier.

CO2 can be be a problem in very cold (50 or lower) or hot (90 or above) but in the 10 years I have been shooting CO2 guns I can only think of once when the heat was an issue. I left the gun outside in the sun and it got hot to the touch. It had valve lock (CO2 expands to much and locks the valve above certain temps, preventing firing). I put the gun in the shade and 10 minutes later in was fine. Not to bad for 8 different CO2 guns in 10 years and too many thousands of pellets to count.

I bought an R7 last year (medium power, small break barrel) that will shoot groups under dime size at 25y. For a break barrel, that is great. Best I have ever consistently shot in a non-match spring gun. Power is low, but the gun is a pleasure to shoot. And I can put a pellet in a birds head all day at 25y, no CO2, no pumping, no fuss.

3. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    It is as difficult or as easy as you would like it to be. Remember you are buying a rifle. If has all the issues as buying a cartridge firearm and it appears that you don't have a background in airguns. So this is all new to you.

For your price range, RWS 34. .22 will be quieter and more of a hunter than the .177.

For me, I would invest a little more and get the RWS 48 in .22. I just don't like break barrels. I want a scope and don't want to be messing with the barrel so I get the MOST accurate setup I can.

4. Dmax07

Dmax07

Dec 10, 2012
    Doc,
    I've been looking too and came across the PCP air guns.
    Take a look at the FX Revolution on YouTube it is a semi-auto 12 shot.
    Check out some of the YouTube EdgunUSA videos.
    Also check out the Benjamin Rogue 357 cal. some videos with it taking down deer and pigs.
    Evanix Conquest semi/full auto air gun with 20 round mag

Just some I have looked at so far.

5. Seriously?

Seriously? U.S.A.F. Ret.

Jan 1, 2013
    In the woods.
    I have a 35 year old RWS model 27 that is quiet and accurate.

Barrel cocking adult .177 spring gun of the best German quality.

I don't know if this model is still made, but get one if you can.......It's the best back yard gun I've ever seen and it kills crows or rabbits at 20-25 yards.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

6. In the city? You want to deplete the member base here by getting them imprisoned?:wow:

7. Benton

Benton

Dec 6, 2003
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Have you ever tried the the Quiet-22 .22lr by CCI?
    Believe me, the report isn't any louder then a high powered
    air rifle (rws model 34 .177 caliber at 900/1,000 fps) .
    The Quiet-22 is only 710fps.
    In fact, the "crack" report of the RWS 34 will be louder then the cork gun "pop" sound of the Quiet-22!
    As to shooting in the city, well, i guess if some police officers can do it,(and they do) so can i! :tongueout: :wavey:

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    This is why I keep telling people to shoot the .22 air rifle.

9. And while it is illegal and considerably more expensive, it does not really offer vast ballistic advantages.

Last edited: May 17, 2013