close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Air Gun Hunting in CA... Question.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by hardeyes, Mar 11, 2004.

1. hardeyes

hardeyes

Jun 30, 2003
    CALI
    Hello,

I have a question, I am going Air Gun Hunting (for Jackrabbits). I have all my gear, license's, etc. But would like to know if I can carry a Handgun ( for S.D. Purpose's ).

Would I be breaking the (California Law) if I carry a loaded S&W (44mag) in a shoulder holster. I would not be shooting any game with it).

I am wondering about this, I do not want to break any laws, and would like to take my child on a good hunt without running into any problems. INFO PLEASE. thanks, Hardeyes.

2. commander

commander

Jul 19, 2000
    Ca., USA
    Yes, you can carry (exposed) a pistol while hunting, depending on where you are at. LA County for instance does not allow rifles or handguns to be used on rabbit. Check with local L/E for any restrictions and closed areas. Also, depending on what animal you are "hunting" with a pistol/revolver, it has to be the proper barrel length (>4") and you need to have the proper ammunition (soft-nose or expansing).

See if this helps.
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/2003/birdflyer.pdf

As for carrying a handgun for self-defense while engaged in hunting or fishing or at camp, you should be OK provided you are not in a prohibited place. Private land (with landowner's permission), BLM and National Forest lands are generally OK. Again, some counties have restrictions. Check with local authorities.