close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by jnc36rcpd, Dec 31, 2012.

1. I purchased an old school EOTech when we first started our rifle program during the D.C. sniper case. It looks like the EO finally went belly up.

I had been considering another optic, most likely the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic. Any opinions on that optic? Any others I should consider?

Thanks, be safe, and have a good new year.

2. Napalm561

Napalm561

Apr 21, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I have several co-workers that have considered the EOTech, and ask me about other options. I usually endorse the Aim Point PRO. The Aimpoint is cheaper (about $400 compared to $500+ for EOTech) and the reticle is smaller allowing you the ability to see a smaller target or a target at a longer distance. You can put it in the closet, and in 5 years the batteries will still be working, so it draws very little power.
    I currently have an ACOG, but I still want to get an Aim Point Pro, to swap back & forth with my ACOG, depending on the scenario, or put it on another rifle.
    SPD Snypr demonstrates the Aim Point's durability by taking his rifle with the mounted Aim Point, and throwing it across the range while he lectures, Picks it up, and slings it again, and again. They're tough.

For my money, you know what I'd chose.

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've had one since shortly after they were released and I love it. I replaced the mount with a QD lower 1/3 mount from ADM. Very nice optic, you'll love the battery life.

4. I've got two and another one backordered. IMHO it's the best deal out there.

5. phred119

phred119

Sep 29, 2004
    South Carolina
    I've got a compM2, one of the older Aimpoints, and absolutely love it. I also replaced an EOTech with the Aimpoint, I got tired of constantly replacing batteries in the EOTech, and even had it crap out on me at the range one day.

6. Dr.Crash

Dr.Crash

Nov 3, 2011
    Swapped out my EO 552 for a Comp M4 and am never going back. The 5-8 year batt life alone was enough to make me switch. Havent seen the PRO in person but have heard great things.

posted using my rotary phone

7. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Jun 12, 2006
    OK, USA
    The PRO is a tough, well-made optic. They can be knocked off zero like everything else, but you have to try harder than most optic. In the 3-4 years we've been using the aimpoint, two of our approximately 100 optics have been knocked out of zero by dropping them hard onto concrete (both while still on the rifle). They were fixed by lining them back up with the irons, and checking zero at the range.

The EO Tech is a good optic, and gets a lot of bad press. I still have a 512 that's been running for years. It's on an SBR that I use as an entry team gun only - the EO Tech reticle rules inside - pretty hard to miss, and I like being able to use the bottom of the reticle for mechanical offset aiming.

All that said, I think the Aimpoint PRO is the best deal out there. Our last round of PD rifles for new-hires all got them (10 I think). I also bought one for a personal Colt M4 I just got. They are the best-bet all-around optic out there for a general patrol rifle. I have zero complaints about them. BTW - the one on my patrol rifle right now has had the same battery in it for over 2 years now, and I never shut it off.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  8. Bang for the buck, the PRO is the best deal out there for patrol work.

9. mntrpr

mntrpr

Mar 22, 2003
    Minnesota
    We had a former administrator relate that when we were in the business of killing people, we could all have red dots. And you guys issue them....you hiring????:wavey:

10. kayl

kayl

Nov 14, 2004
    SE WI
    LA Police Gear has a great price on them right now...
    $419.99 minus 15% with code Y13 = $356.99 shipped to your door.

11. They are on our department rifles.

Yes, we are hiring. :)

12. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Jun 12, 2006
    OK, USA
    Yes - always it seems over the last few years.

Our last rifle shooting was in a very dark place at night. The woods where the guy was shooting at our boys from was soaking up the light from the rifles. Irons were useless. A guy with a personally owned optic took care of business in a hurry because he was able to flank the shooter and put the red dot on the muzzle flashes. Problem solved.

We had Aimpoints withing 6 months. Sometimes it's a lot easier to get things done in smaller departments.

13. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Hmmm....gonna look hard at one of these. I am looking to replace my Eotech 551, looks like I can Ebay it used for around the new price of the Aimpoint.

14. That's where I got mine. They can't keep them in stock, but they will honor the discount codes on back orders.

15. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    You just got me in big trouble with the wife. I cant pass up on that deal.

16. kayl

kayl

Nov 14, 2004
    SE WI
    If it makes you feel any better, I'll be in the same boat if my wife finds out about it :whistling:

Maybe I should have shipped it to work!

17. ryanm

ryanm

Aug 1, 2003
    Central Arkansas
    Same here. I placed my order yesterday.

18. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I'd be nervous about shipping it to work, it might disappear before I get it. You know us cops. I could leave a bag of dope or a $100 bill on the patrol room table and nobody would touch it for months. Do the same with a Stinger battery or a pair of handcuffs and you'll be in the market for a new set before you get out of the bathroom:supergrin:.

19. BlisteringSilence

BlisteringSilence Secret Squirrel

And here I thought my office was the only one with this issue. I'm on my 4th reflective vest.