close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aimpoint or S.P.O.T

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by vrex, Jan 8, 2008.

1. vrex

vrex
    Expand Collapse

The spot is the most rugged clone supposedly......I know aimpoint is the best, but 550 for one with a mount as opposed to 165 for the spot...the spot has recieved views that it holds its zero great and is tough...for sport shooting and competiton, which is what Ill be doing, will the 300 plus saved ( and used for ammo and mags) be worth the comprimise?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. MAX100

MAX100
    Expand Collapse

I would go with the Aimpoint Copy for $42 shipped. You could have three of them, almost four, for what the spot cost. I have two of the Aimpoint copies and they are very durable, just as durable as the Spot and the real Aimpoint. The Spot I believe is made by the same company that makes the Aimpoint copies.

GC

3. koalorka

koalorka
    Expand Collapse

Aimpoint, no question.

4. vrex

vrex
    Expand Collapse

very tempting to at least try for plinking

5. vrex

vrex
    Expand Collapse

I checked out the sight form the other thread...my main concern would be ordring from a hong kong based site--no way to gauge security or shipment times etc....

6. ironmind

ironmind
    Expand Collapse

My chinese replica lasted about 200 rounds on my CX4 before it went T.U.

7. MAX100

MAX100
    Expand Collapse

There is no risk if you go through PayPal because they always side with the buyer. I have heard of buyers ripping off the sellers by putting in for a refund and sending a empty box back to the seller and still get their refund. They never turn the buyer down for a refund. I know that first hand from being a seller.

ironmind I am sure there are some of the Aimpoint copies that have had problems. There are $500 real Aimpoints that have problems also. The Aimpoint copies have been out for a few years now and 98% of the feedback I have heard about them has been good. Most of the problems I have heard about has to do with the two small batteries they put in them at the factory. Just switch them out for the bigger 1/3N single battery and all fixed.

The guy that runs the website Airsoft Vanguard sales on Ebay. He also has a Ebay store you can look him up and read his feedback. I have bought from him before. I bought copy of the ARMS Throw QR mount from him.

GC

8. ironmind

ironmind
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'll look him up!

9. ArGyLe64

ArGyLe64
    Expand Collapse
    Argyle Armoring

I know that for a fact as well. Long story but my wife and I lost $175 selling a scanner because of someone scamming the PayPal refund system.

10. Pat _Rogers

Pat _Rogers
    Expand Collapse

I have two of the Aimpoint copies and they are very durable, just as durable as the Spot and the real Aimpoint.
    Hi Max- that is a pretty broad statement.
    Can you advise what testing protocols you have followed to arrive at this conclusion?
    What lab did the electronics and accuracy work?
    Approximately how many hours of testing? Type of testing?

If you are going to make a statement like that, it has the potential for turning into a dramanet myth, at the speed of light.

If you are just making it up, say that it is your opinion, and follow it up with how you arrived at this conclusion.

Just sayin'....

11. MAX100

MAX100
    Expand Collapse

It is my opinion. I thought that was understood. The Aimpoint copy is not waterproof but other wise just as durable. I wouldn't put a real Aimpoint water to find out, would you.

I have owned and sold both and have seen many and can give an opinion on experience. When you have owned both you can have an experienced opinion too. I would like to hear it. The best proof is in the field. I have never had anyone come back to me that I sold a AP copy too and say they have had a problem with it or didn't like it.

The Aimpoint is pretty simple design not very hard to copy and copy well. The design doesn't warrant a $450 price tag. That is my opinion also. Look at the ARMS Throw QR mount they charge $125 or more for. XDOPTIC in China the one that makes the Aimpoint copy makes an excellent copy of that mount for $25.

GC

12. Pat _Rogers

Pat _Rogers
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your reply.
    Some comments.
    You didn't state it was your opinion- you stated what i believe to be a fact. If you said "I believe...", OK, an opinion.

I have taken Aimpoints into the water before. Yup, more than once. Why wouldn't I? It was designed to be used under harsh circumstances.

I have used Aimpoints in the field. Since they first came out, continuously...

While i don't sell gear, i use and teach it. I have had -conservatively speaking- thousands of Aimpoints and EOTechs - on the guns of those i have trained.

I have also owned a SPOT. Can i have an opinion now:cool:?

I have also had a handful of knockoffs in front of me. One SPOT lasted for one 3 day class. None of the others did.
    Hmmm.....

The fact that you claim that no one you sold a knock off to came back and complained means...well, nothing.
    How many were sold? What do they for a living? Hobby shooters? Those who press triggers on people for a living? How many rounds fired? Under what conditions?
    You haven't shown how many firing cycles, switch integrity and so forth leads you to opine that some chicom knock off is "just as durable" as an Aimpoint.
    That kind of stuff. Facts.

When people make a declarative statement, the standard i use is this- would you raise your hand, be sworn in, and testify to it?

In your case, based on what you have written, it wouldn't fly.

I used to see a lot of civilian shooters come to class with garbage, but that doesn't happen much any more- people have smartened up.
    Or, as my Dad used to say "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice".
    You apparently don't feel that way, but i don't aspire to mediocrity.

Thanks for your comments. They are a nice addition to the files.

13. MAX100

MAX100
    Expand Collapse

Your opinion. I disagree with your opinion and nothing you will say will change that. I would have no problem using one of the copies in a life treating situation. I have seen how people are treated that show up for classes with very good less expensive equipment by their other class mates who payed top dollar for their equipment. I go with what works and don't follow the so called in crowd because it is popular. Fact: The Aimpoint is a very simple design and very easy to copy and copy well. Not worth you guys are paying for them. My experienced opinion. I will leave it at that and move on.

GC

14. Pat _Rogers

Pat _Rogers
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Max, i appreciate your response!

15. Pat _Rogers

Pat _Rogers
    Expand Collapse

First, I have no problem dunking any Aimpoint sights in water for any extended period of time. They are designed and tested to do so per the environments the clients need to use them.
    There are 733,000 Aimpoints in the hands of the military.
    While your "experienced" opinion (what experience??) believes the knock offs are equal too Aimpoints, below is a list of standards that the Aimpoints meet.
    Can you provide the list of standards that the chicom/ airsoft meets??

All Aimpoint military sights are rigidly tested against MIL-STD 810F. Available for review on the internet.
    500.4 Low Pressure (Altitude) (up to 15,000ft)
    501.4 High Temperature (up to 160F)
    502.4 Low Temperature (down to -60F)
    503.4 Temperature Shock
    504 Contamination by Fluids
    505.4 Solar Radiation (Sunshine)
    506.4 Rain (as much as 4" per hour with 40MPH wind)
    507.4 Humidity
    508.5 Fungus
    509.4 Salt Fog (48 hours at 95F)
    510.4 Sand and Dust (blowing dust at 1750fpm for six hours)
    511.4 Explosive Atmosphere
    512.4 Immersion (80ft to 150ft for over 30minutes)
    513.5 Acceleration
    514.5 Vibration
    515.5 Acoustic Noise
    516.5 Shock
    517 Pyroshock
    518 Acidic Atmosphere
    519.5 Gunfire Vibration
    520.2 Temperature, Humidity, Vibration, and Altitude
    521.2 Icing/Freezing Rain
    522 Ballistic Shock
    523.2 Vibro-Acoustic/Temperature

16. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Never been swimming with my M68 (thankfully!) but mine's been rained on heavily and been through high humidity... even got rained on today (rain, in the desert, who would have thought? Second time in the tour).

Me personally, I wouldn't trust an Aimpoint clone with my life. For competition/target shooting as the OP said, maybe, but serious work? No. I know what kind of abuse my 68 has survived, and I'm not trusting a Chinese clone in real world situations.

17. Pat _Rogers

Pat _Rogers
    Expand Collapse

MrMurphy- thank you for your service. You are dead nuts right- for games and air flaccid, toy optics are an option.
    For real world use, they are not.
    Max states that the aiir flaccid knock offs are the equal of Aimpoints, but in my experience, just as good, isn't.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Well, we're not doing that much over here, watching sand re-arrange itself mostly. But the stuff we're guarding is doing a lot of good work downrange, we've seen some of "our" stuff in the news lately.

19. Gino

Gino
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

It should be noted that Pat Rogers is a very well-known and well-respected firearms instructor that is on the top tier of the instructor ladder. We can disagree with him, but let's face it, there are only a handfull of guys in the country with his experience and his posts need to be treated differently than most of ours.

I have had the chance to train with another nationally known instructor and his advice has been the same, get the Aimpoint and skip everything else.

MAX100,
    The problem with what you are saying is that these clones don't hold up to the rigors of a carbine class. I agree with you that the Aimpoint is way overpriced, and we should be able to get a clone for $200 that will hold up, but it seems that this is not the case. And that is the reason we need to respect these instructor's opinions, they are the our testbed...

That said, I'm going to get a $50 cheapy just to see if I like them.

20. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti
    Expand Collapse

"It should be noted that Pat Rogers is a very well-known and well-respected firearms instructor that is on the top tier of the instructor ladder. We can disagree with him, but let's face it, there are only a handfull of guys in the country with his experience and his posts need to be treated differently than most of ours."

Big +1.:agree: A good rule of thumb where Pat Rogers is concerned is to sit down, STFU, and prepare to be educated.:beer: