close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Aimpoint H-1 and cross-eye dominance.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Teecher45, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    About 3-4 months ago I put an Aimpoint H-1 on my 6920. I love what the red dot stands for but I can't get it to work for me. I am left-eyed dominant and right handed. I have tried to switch hands, not happening, too old. When I focus on the RD my target is blurred, if I focus on the target I see two dots. I am considering selling the set-up. It consist of:
    Aimpoint H-1 bought new approximately 3-4 months ago with Aimpoint mount.
    LaRue 751 VFZ mount (absolute co-witness).
    Two Duracell 2032 batteries unopened.
    All paperwork and original boxes.
    Everything looks new, only 2 range trips. The rest of the time it has stayed in the safe.
    What would you-guys suggest for a fair asking price?
    Any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks guys...

2. I have the same issue....right handed, left eye dominate. Not a big deal for me when shooting a pistol, I have learned to adapt to that.

This issue was really driven home for me in April 2010 when myself and some buddies attended Larry Vickers' 3 Day Carbine and Pistol Class at Blackwater. Shooting the carbine right handed with a red dot sight (I use a T1) causes me to have to force my left eye in order to get a proper dot picture.

LAV has the same cross dominance issue and told me that I needed to start shooting the carbine left handed. I was 45 at the time and 47 now. I often train shooting the carbine left handed and have become quite proficient, perhaps as proficient as I am right handed. Shooting left handed lets me keep both eyes open and use the T1 to its potential.

3. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    I too am cross eye dominant. I became a left handed rifle shooter about 10 years ago when I got into policing. It's not hard to train yourself no matter your age. Also, I don't know how iron sights would help you unless you forced your face into an uncomfortable shooting position.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. I just came from an advanced firearms instructor course at FLETC, and the instructors there brought up this issue. They recommended shooting left handed if the left eye dominance was a major issue, but otherwise train to shoot with the weak eye. They said that for most LED shooters, it wasn't an issue to use the weak eye.

5. xXGearheadXx

xXGearheadXx

Aug 3, 2011
    Knoxville TN
    Are both of your eyes open? I'm a cross dominant shooter also but don't have the issue anymore with my aimpoints. Moving the sight forward helps too.

6. Serbonze

Serbonze

Apr 28, 2010
    I have the same issue, right handed but left eye dominant. To compound the problem, I cannot voluntarily close my left eye so I'm forced to shoot with both eyes open. I know, it sounds weird but I have always had the problem.

If I take to long acquiring a target with the red dot, my left eye starts to take over dominance and I will see a double target. At that point I have to reset and start again. It's not easy, but it can be done. Shooting iron sights is very ,very difficult.

It may help if you switch red dots too. I went from an Aimpoint to an Eotech and it really helped. I think trying to look through the tube compounded the issue.

7. Same here.

I just shoot long guns left handed. No problemo.

8. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Ok guys, thanks.
    But IF I decide to sell it, what do you think a fair price would be?

9. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    Have you tried an EOTech?

I know a friend who can't shoot most dot sights, but does well with EOTechs. Maybe consider a switch?

Sounds like a nice set up; should be easy to sell for a fair price as they're always in demand.

10. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Jul 10, 2007
    I'm left-eyed right-handed too, and I use my Eotech with no problems at all. As was said, move it forward a bit, that might help. Also, with the Eotech, an advantage is a larger recticle for your eyes to pick up.