close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Aimpoint Comp M4S VS T1 Red Dot sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by jmy, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jmy

jmy Still Alive Lifetime Member

For those of you who have tried both the Aimpoint M4S and T1 Red Dot Sights,which of the two do you personally prefer?And why?Which has a better field of view,clearer red dot,and has quicker target acquisition?Which among the two also is more reliable and more rugged?
    Thanks in advance.

2. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Had both. Now, only the Micros remain.
    The only advantage the Copm M4/M4s has over the Micro is the more ubiquitous AA battery and a slightly larger aperture. Although its battery life is longer than the Micro's, they are both so long that it practically doesn't matter.
    Reliable/rugged? Equal
    Red dot size? Same (2 MOA, although the original Micro came in 4 MOA dot)

Lighter and much more compact-> Advantage Micro. I guarantee you will notice the weight difference.

3. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

Jan 27, 2013
    Aimpoint did not make the M4 because AA batteries are better than the 1/3Ns. They built the M4 b/c they were asked to do so ($$$$). The reasons Aimpoints had been using 1/3Ns - and not AAs - have to do with dimensional considerations and Newtonian physics. AAs are heavier and stress the contacts/elastic component more. All metallic spring elements are subject to fatigue; less spring stress per firing results in longer spring lifespan. Broken spring contacts can mean a dead optic when you just might need it.

Aimpoint did not need to duplicate Eotech's experiences (that lead them to use smaller batteries in a transverse lie) to know all this. They knew this before Eotech made their first AA optic. Again, Aimpoint was asked ($$$$) to make a model using AAs. So they did.

To be fair, the M4s are good optics. But the answer to your question: Micro.

Sam

4. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    ^^^ No one here said anything about the AA being "better". But, a lot of folks choosing the M4/M4s has to do with the AA being easier to find. I know I did, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that way.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Agreed. I've used the Comp M2 extensively, the M3, M4, M4s and T-1/H-1/R-1 quite a bit.

I own a H-1. The M4 has a bigger window which can be nice for certain features, such as night vision or odd-position shooting if you're a one-eye-only shooter as it does have a slightly bigger tube. For 99% of shooting however, the Micro is fast as hell, battery run time is equivalent and there's no difference in ruggedness.

6. Mabo

Mabo Want a beer?

Apr 4, 2003
    I have both and they are both excellent. I like the M4S on larger rifles, the larger aperture makes it easier for me to acquire targets faster. The M4S definitely feels more rugged than the T1, but both are probably more rugged than you will ever need.

I like the T1 for pistols or if you are going for a light weight build. The smaller aperture makes target acquisition a bit slower (for me at least). Red dot "clarity" on both is equal, no difference there.

I feel that the AA batteries used in the M4S could be a bonus in a SHTF scenario. If I could only have one I'd pick the M4S, luckily I didn't have to limit myself! :supergrin:

7. jmy

jmy Still Alive Lifetime Member

How come that there are times that the red dot of either the T1 or M4S aren't well defined?They look somewhat mush and don't really look like dots?More like a small stain of red dirt.Is this normal?
    Thanks.

8. majette

majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    happens if you have astigmatism.

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
  10. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
  11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Or your nearsighted prescription lenses are too old and need update.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    And that reminds me, I need new glasses.:embarassed:

13. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I've used both quite a bit and there is no reason to use an M4/M4s over the T-1.

I don't understand the field of view questions/problems that some people have. Are ya'll trying to stick your eye in the sight or what? Mount the sight at the front of the receiver, shoot with both eyes open and look at the target.

Aimpoint has the ability and the technology to build the T-1. The US gov't has the ability to spec a sight that is just as capable as the T-1, but in a package that is 3X as big, 4X as heavy and uses a sucky AA battery.

14. All very true and good points.

But, the M4 looks more bad ***, AA batteries are easier to find when TSHTF, and if you can't deal with a few extra ounces of gear on your rifle, you are a wussy and need to get to the gym. ;)

15. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    If you can't find CR2032 batteries, you're not trying very hard. Hell, many gas stations sell them now, and they are in every CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart in the US.

16. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where the military goes they often don't have Walgreens around the corner. The military is trying to simplify their battery logistics. A few decades ago every time something new came out it required a different kind of battery and guess what, it was proprietary. Before long your average grunt was having to have 4 different batteries on him and spares for everything. Typically, you need batteries for flashlights, night vision and optics as a minimum. A unit being deployed takes pallets of batteries. Not only that but buying batteries comes out of unit's budgets and you can get AAs just about anywhere and for training investing in rechargeable saves money from the budget. Requiring equipment to run on AAs is smart, really smart.

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I am aware of all of this. Please reread the post I quoted, and you will see it didn't mention military use.

18. When SHTF, we are all military.;)

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Sure thing, GI Joe.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire