close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Aiming properly with standard sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by jadickson, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jadickson

jadickson

Dec 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Noob question here. I have a generation 3 model 19 with original, unmodified sights. I am confused about the proper way to aim.

Below are 3 different pictures I made, with the pistol aimed at the red "bulls eye"... which one is correct? In picture #1, the sights are exactly under the bulls eye. In #2, the sights are halfway covering the bulls eye. In #3, the white dot on the front sight is covering the bulls eye.

I know the real answer to this question is "take your gun to the range and find out what works best for you." I am just trying to get a base proper technique to work with when I do go to the range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Krosy

Krosy

Sep 25, 2009
    Iowa
    If you want to make a nice group on a piece of paper I prefer method # 1. YMMV.

3. vis35

vis35

Apr 5, 2010
    Alaska
    #2 is correct. #1 is the old bulls eye hold but you will be shooting low, at the bottom of the bull’s-eye, guns sighted to shoot that way are sighted to shoot high so you will hit the center of the bull. #3 is supposedly fast but imprecise, you cannot see the bull’s-eye.

4. R*E

R*E

May 12, 2008
    #1 for bullseye shooting
    #2 for real world shooting
    #3 is wrong

5. Number three is correct for Glock style combat sights. That is standard combat aiming and exactly how the Glock sights are designed and what they are designed for. Your point of aim should cover your point of impact exactly as you have pictured. Number 1 is the reason why many new Glock shooters report the pistol is firing low and they think something is wrong with it.

6. HGxyz

HGxyz

Apr 12, 2010
    Washington State
    Wait until you are my age - you won't be able to tell the difference after you have focused your eyes on the front sight.

7. Last Rites

Last Rites GLocK FaNaTiC!

#3 is how you're supposed to shoot ANY Glock. The Glock weapon system will shoot reliably and consistently every time when you are using target acquisition method #3.

By covering the point of impact with your Glock barrel end sight and lining up the rear sight system 'U' to be even at the top of the 'U' with the forend barrel dot (illustration #3); your target acquisition is perfectly executed as it was intended to be done with the Glock weapon system.

I can't tell you how many times there has been that I've heard a new Glock owner proclaim their inability to hit their target with their new Glock. And sadly enough, they go on to assume that because of their lack or inability to 'hit anything' with it, that the weapon system is naturally by deduction a "pos".

Obviously, all of us Glock enthusiast out there know this is the furthest thing from the truth. It's just a matter of getting used to or familiar with a different manner of doing things then what some folks are accustomed to. Sometimes you've just gotta let folks use whatever method they are most comfortable and reliable with when you're practicing at the range and polishing up on your target acquisitions.

8. Talk about confuuuuussssssing!!!!!!! I think that a laser would be the thing to have on this one???

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    It does not matter. What is important is that you index your sights against the target, stick with that index, and do not disturb the sight picture thru trigger press all the way until the bullet leaves the barrel.

Below, a recent target I shot with a G26 - a 1" group, two hands on the gun, otherwise unsupported (do feet count?), shooting generic Remington UMC (250 round pack) of FMJ at an indoor range.

[​IMG]

and the size of those price stickers, compared to a penny and a quarter for contrast...
    [​IMG]

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Great shooting Drew, but I'll have to disagree with you to an extent.
    #2 and #3, yes, but NOT #1.

#1 is the BULLSEYE "6 o'clock hold". It REQUIRES that you "index" with the bullesye being the same exact size and the same exact distance from you always to work. Example, if the "target" is 8 inch circle at 25 yards and you dial your gun in to hit the center of the circle.... it will not work if the circle is at 7 yards. Period.

OP... #2 is what you really should be using. Don't "hide" the target with the sights.

11. jadickson

jadickson

Dec 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am grateful for the replies so far. Apparently this question was worth asking after all, as it has generated an interesting discussion.

12. user

user VaLegalDefense

Feb 15, 2008
    Va. and West Va.
    My mistake - I read 19-3 (a S&W revolver) rather than Gen. 3 model 19.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Thank you kind sir. :), hope it's not too hot in NC, like the near 100 *F it hit in NY yesterday. :faint:

As for your claim, I too will have to respectfully disagree.

Here (below) is the ballistic data for a Speer Lawman 147gr 9mm bullet.

For a zero at 25 yards, the drop at twice that distance is 1.5".

For a 115gr bullet, that drop is .8"

It has not been my experience, that shooting with the bullseye 6 o'clock hold impacts precision much, under 25 or even 50 yards (max I have shot with a pistol).

Best regards, :cool:
    'Drew

14. Bert.40

Bert.40

Aug 14, 2004
    East of Pittsburgh
    That's the reason I like adjustable sights. I prefer to see the target. Example 1 or 2. When reloading it's possible to develop the right load to hit at point of aim. I shoot USPSA competitions where the targets are for the most part 25 yards and less, sometimes a 50 yarder is used. I'm past the age where it's difficult to focus on the front sight so I rely on my point and shoot instincts. I'm a lousy shot with factory loads or haven't found the right one. I reload for all my handguns.