close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

aim point or eotech..help me decide

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by lunarspeak, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I have shot a friends that was mounted on a ACOG. Was okay for up close work, but I seem to have a hard time keeping both eyes open and using peripheral vision when looking through a small optic like that.

I think it served its function as a backup sight to a magnified optic, but would not want it as a primary optic. Just my preference.

2. mitommy

mitommy

Feb 29, 2004
    Michigan
    I had an eotech 512. I loved the rectile but could not seem to hold good groups (compared to my iron sights). I have heard about them not hooting well.

I picked up a aimpoint micro and from day one my groups hold a LOT mire consistent. I came to the conclusion that the Eotech dot was moving but not visibly.

I use my AR for 3 gun matches. I still liked the circle & dot. But I've learned that for the close or fast shots I just dial up the aimpoint dot. I dial it down for more precise shots.

If I had it to do over again I'd just get an aimpoint. I like the micros but the pro is a good deal also.

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
  4. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    The EOTech reticle is really nice, but for some reason the slight astigmatism in my right eye makes it blurry for me. My Aimpoint T1 2moa dot is nice and sharp.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Aimpoint T-1 by a mile - It's what sits atop my SBR. I have run an Aimpoint Comp M2 and EO Tech in the past. The EO Tech I had had the cross-bolt in the mount fail, and the optic wouldn't stay on the gun. I upgraded from the M2 to the T1 for the MUCH lighter weight and ridiculous battery life of the T1.

6. Pjd832

Pjd832

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    :rofl: that pretty much sums it up right there...

7. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    This is like Ground Hog Day.
    You forgot to ask if should have got a Colt.

8. yz9890

yz9890

Jul 7, 2013
    I've got an Aimpoint Pro and an EOTech EXPS2 and like them both. The EOTech seems a bit faster and I like the 65MOA ring. Hard to beat the bazillion hour battery life of the Aimpoint though.

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    SFOD-D uses EOtechs.

They also have effectively an unlimited budget, dozens of extra ones laying around for replacements, and literal cartons of batteries for each shooter, and they change batteries out more or less daily.

At their level, they CAN shoot well enough the 1 moa dot makes a difference.

For the average guy on an average budget, the Aimpoints are effectively indestructible and get the job done fine the first time. I've seen Aimpoints that have gone through crazy amounts of damage and kept on ticking, including an IED explosion which bent the rifle it was on, and another in a helicopter crash.

10. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Glad I have a good one and my budget can handle a few batteries a year.

11. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    If you use a red dot properly the reticle shape is meaningless. You look at the target not the dot. Your eye will automatically center the dot on whatever you look at. If you are looking at the dot or are focused on the dot you are doing it wrong... You reticle should be at the lowest possible setting to be useful in your lighting conditions.

Focus on the target. Squeeze...

YMMV

12. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    My batteries only last 900 hours in my XPS2. I need a second mortgage so I can replace them once every 2 years.:rofl:

13. NeverMore1701

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I hear ya, it's rough :whistling:

14. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My brother uses EOTech and I use Aimpoint. I like Aimpoint because I can leave it on for five years and the battery won't die and it has covers to protect the lens. The advantage I see to the EOTech, like others have said, is the reticule. If all I was using it for was target shooting I'd go with EOTech. But because my AR runs as a HD gun for me I prefer Aimpoint. YMMV

15. I would chose Eotech just because I like the more open design of them..

16. MyGunCulture

MyGunCulture

Jul 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I like the Aimpoint as I can leave it on. The important thing not being duration of battery life, but never having to worry about turning on an optic should I need to use the rifle. It's just always on.

17. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    If I used my AR for HD, I may put an Aimpoint on it, but since mine is a range toy, EOTech won out for me.

18. NeverMore1701

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I use my AR for HD, and the EOTech works just fine.

19. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    Do you leave your car running?

Btw. I'm using a aimpoint.

20. Trey83

Trey83

Feb 28, 2010
    :whistling:

[​IMG]

Thread Status: