Glock Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aim point or eotech..help me decide

9K views 88 replies 43 participants last post by  pag23 
#1 ·
I am about to pick up my new DD AR-15..it is going to be geared more toward CQB and id like to eventually get an aim point magnifier ..the range im expecting to shoot at is up to 300yrds (im in the hills of N.C and this is about as far as I need)

ive heard the eotech is easier to magnify is this true? ..any help, pointers, advice???

and what models..i like the aimpoint patrol but the micro h-1 looks interesting too..

#2 ·
I love the EoTech reticle, I find it to be quicker on target.
I have a XPS2-0, an AimPoint T1 & an AimPoint M4s.

If I could only own one,.......I would stick with the M4s, AA battery & it is a rock solid performer.

#3 ·
If you go with Eotech, get one of the newer models with the transverse battery mounting.
The Aimpoint PRO is an excellent value. It comes with a mount that is serviceable but not the best.
I really like the EO circle-dot reticle for cqb distance shooting but overall, I prefer the battery life and durability of Aimpoint.

#7 ·
I like the durability and battery life of the Aimpoint. I like the look of the Eotech reticle on my computer screen but in person my astigmatism makes it look like a blurry mess. There is no way I could use an Eotech. Even the Aimpoint dot looks like a starburst to me.

#8 ·
I think the aim point is a much better product but then again I am biased. I used to work for L3 and well lets just say I am not a fan of the company. For the money the aim point pro is hard to beat. I just bought one from someone on ar15.com, like new for $350 shipped.

#11 ·
I believe the Aimpoint is the higher quality optic.
I have an M4S, Comp M3 and a micro H1 - ALL are excellent.

I also have an EoTech XPS2 that has performed very well, even though I have heard the occasional EoTech horror story.

For your range, the EoTech with the flip to side magnifier would be hard to beat.

But, the Aimpoint will still be of higher overall quality and battery life. Also will be lighter.

Go try them both, but you will probably fall to the lighter Aimpoint with a flip to side magnifier.

#13 ·
Aimpoint. There is no 'decision'.

#15 ·
Depends on what is important to you. I chose EOTech because I like the recticle. If you don't mind just a dot, the Aimpoint has much longer battery life. I also got an EOTech magnifier, and it works very nicely.

#16 ·
I'm in the Aimpoint camp. I have 2 M68s I own and have been issued the M68 and the newer Comp M4 and have had zero problems with them. The battery life is outstanding and only gets better with more recent models. I also have an earlier EOTech with the N1 battery that has a laughable battery life with hard to find batteries and a 522 that has a funky dim spot right in the middle on the window. Yeah, I could send it back to have it fixed and probably will one day when things here settle down but then again, my Aimpoints haven't had a problem at all from day 1 and while I do turn it off when I'm not using it, I'm also on the original batteries so that says something about battery life with the Aimpoint. Yeah, the EOTech reticle is "cool" and what not but it doesn't do you a bit of good when the battery is dead or there is a dim spot that washes out anytime it sees daylight. Go with the Aimpoint.

#18 ·
I have an Eotech 512 and an Aimpoint Pro. I found the EOTech better suited for a patrol carbine and keep in on my patrol rifle, just my opinion based on taking some training classes with irons, and both optics.

I do love my Aimpoint, and for a rifle that would most likely see outdoor use and/or longer ranges I prefer the Aimpoint. I like the EOtech better indoors and my rifle sees more indoor use than outdoor, at least so far.

#21 ·
Not to derail the thread, but do any of you guys have experience with the Trijicon RMR on a rifle?
I have shot a friends that was mounted on a ACOG. Was okay for up close work, but I seem to have a hard time keeping both eyes open and using peripheral vision when looking through a small optic like that.

I think it served its function as a backup sight to a magnified optic, but would not want it as a primary optic. Just my preference.

#22 ·
I had an eotech 512. I loved the rectile but could not seem to hold good groups (compared to my iron sights). I have heard about them not hooting well.

I picked up a aimpoint micro and from day one my groups hold a LOT mire consistent. I came to the conclusion that the Eotech dot was moving but not visibly.

I use my AR for 3 gun matches. I still liked the circle & dot. But I've learned that for the close or fast shots I just dial up the aimpoint dot. I dial it down for more precise shots.

If I had it to do over again I'd just get an aimpoint. I like the micros but the pro is a good deal also.

#24 ·
The EOTech reticle is really nice, but for some reason the slight astigmatism in my right eye makes it blurry for me. My Aimpoint T1 2moa dot is nice and sharp.

#25 ·
Aimpoint T-1 by a mile - It's what sits atop my SBR. I have run an Aimpoint Comp M2 and EO Tech in the past. The EO Tech I had had the cross-bolt in the mount fail, and the optic wouldn't stay on the gun. I upgraded from the M2 to the T1 for the MUCH lighter weight and ridiculous battery life of the T1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.