Glock Talk banner

Aggressive Driver units

5K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  blueiron 
#1 ·
#31 ·
Much depends on the PR campaign that must go along with the use of these vehicles. PSAs that inform, educate, and remind the public that unmarked traffic enforcement vehicles are operating in a given jurisdiction, to let the motoring public know that these vehicles are legitimate law enforcement, that they are currently operating, and that zero tolerance is in effect for dangerous driving.

It removes the 'whacker element' for compliance, it lets the public know that the police may be watching from unexpected quarters, and gives ample warning to the public that bad and dangerous driving will be dealt with.

Done correctly, it can work on several levels. If a Sergeant just throws a unmarked unit at an officer on a whim and says 'bag everything you see', then a variety of problems could occur.
Good point. I think as you say, the biggest part is whether the public is informed that they will have unmarked non-conventional police vehicles playing in traffic. Back when I was a police cadet, the agency I was with had a gold Mercury Cougar and a green Chevy Lumina (yeah, that long ago) issued to the detectives. People constantly refused to stop for them and they always needed a marked car to assist.

#32 ·
I think as you say, the biggest part is whether the public is informed that they will have unmarked non-conventional police vehicles playing in traffic.

The best part is that if an agency plays up the information end of it, the motoring public will tend to drive a bit more conservatively, not knowing if the Mustang behind them or the Toyota Camry that they want to pass is a police car.

A bit of uncertainty isn't always a bad thing. :supergrin:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.