Glock Talk banner

Aggressive Driver units

5K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  blueiron 
#1 ·
#5 ·
These "ghost" units as they're known around here, with shades-lighter markings, are effective. One local dept. has one with ALPRs on the trunk (which kind of gives up the stealth factor, but there are plenty of oblivious fish...)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#9 ·
On my prior department (IIRC around 1999-2001), we were utilizing marked yellow Taxi Cabs (CVPI's) for Aggressive Driving Enforcement. It took a few days and numerous 911 calls later for the motoring public to realize that they were actually Police vehicles.......I remember during the first week of deployment, a few motorist refused to yield / pull over...:wow:... It was interesting to see a uniformed officer conducting a traffic stop in a yellow taxi cab with a full light package on the side of the road. Needless to say it was extremely effective. I'm not sure if they're still being utilized.

#15 ·
On my prior department (IIRC around 1999-2001), we were utilizing marked yellow Taxi Cabs (CVPI's) for Aggressive Driving Enforcement. It took a few days and numerous 911 calls later for the motoring public to realize that they were actually Police vehicles.......I remember during the first week of deployment, a few motorist refused to yield / pull over...:wow:... It was interesting to see a uniformed officer conducting a traffic stop in a yellow taxi cab with a full light package on the side of the road. Needless to say it was extremely effective. I'm not sure if they're still being utilized.
NYPD was using them like crazy in manhattan when I was stationed there from 2005-07.

#16 ·
Ft. Bliss, TX used to use any captured civilian car as the point man car, and then they would light up with regular patrol car. Worked OK.

Sent from my communicator.

#19 ·
I would love to see one of those in action. When I am running around in my POV people are being flat out morons.

#20 ·
I'd love to see how effective these units are. Not effective at enforcement but at actually getting citizens to stop. A regular car, no markings, regular passenger car plates, lights up like a christmas tree? Uniformed officer or not, I doubt I would stop before a marked car showed up or their dispatch confirmed they had a car (my car) failing to yield. Seems to me like this would probably happen pretty often, tying up other marked cars from handling calls.

#21 · (Edited)
I'd love to see how effective these units are. Not effective at enforcement but at actually getting citizens to stop. A regular car, no markings, regular passenger car plates, lights up like a christmas tree? Uniformed officer or not, I doubt I would stop before a marked car showed up or their dispatch confirmed they had a car (my car) failing to yield. Seems to me like this would probably happen pretty often, tying up other marked cars from handling calls.
Much depends on the PR campaign that must go along with the use of these vehicles. PSAs that inform, educate, and remind the public that unmarked traffic enforcement vehicles are operating in a given jurisdiction, to let the motoring public know that these vehicles are legitimate law enforcement, that they are currently operating, and that zero tolerance is in effect for dangerous driving.

It removes the 'whacker element' for compliance, it lets the public know that the police may be watching from unexpected quarters, and gives ample warning to the public that bad and dangerous driving will be dealt with.

Done correctly, it can work on several levels. If a Sergeant just throws a unmarked unit at an officer on a whim and says 'bag everything you see', then a variety of problems could occur.

#22 ·
The vast majority of people wouldn't think twice about stopping. It's not really any different than when the B4C Camaros and SSP Mustangs were out there. Similar even to unmarked Dodge Chargers and Impalas today. I'm sure they're plenty effective.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.