close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aggressive Driver units

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Nov 16, 2012.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
  2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Ours in normal black and whites that were recently equipped with tag readers. The guys found and made an arrest on two stolen vehicles in the first month! This after years of the admin not believing they would work.

3. I've seen them use this for traffic and patrol and it is probably one of my favorite "marked" units. Unfortunately I can't display the photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  4. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
  5. Ducowti

Ducowti

Jan 11, 2009
    NY
    These "ghost" units as they're known around here, with shades-lighter markings, are effective. One local dept. has one with ALPRs on the trunk (which kind of gives up the stealth factor, but there are plenty of oblivious fish...)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. I really don't see the point of a fully marked black-and-white Challenger... but the stealth version is pretty cool.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
  8. On my prior department (IIRC around 1999-2001), we were utilizing marked yellow Taxi Cabs (CVPI's) for Aggressive Driving Enforcement. It took a few days and numerous 911 calls later for the motoring public to realize that they were actually Police vehicles.......I remember during the first week of deployment, a few motorist refused to yield / pull over...:wow:... It was interesting to see a uniformed officer conducting a traffic stop in a yellow taxi cab with a full light package on the side of the road. Needless to say it was extremely effective. I'm not sure if they're still being utilized.

9. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
  10. Ducowti

Ducowti

Jan 11, 2009
    NY
    They are in NYC and surrounding suburbs.

11. lndshark

lndshark

Nov 15, 2009
    NOT the PNW (yet)
    There was a department in Ontario, Canada (it was either Halton Regional or Hamilton) that was utilizing a maroon CVPI, tinted windows with a white TAXI hat on the roof. The hat had the departments phone number printed on it :rofl: I'll see if I have a pic at home...

12. Schaffer

Schaffer

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm sure my Cheif would be on board for the challenger. He's a huge mopar nut and wants a challenger of his own.

13. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    That gray Challenger sure was purty!

14. CGMK

CGMK

Jun 2, 2008
    NYPD was using them like crazy in manhattan when I was stationed there from 2005-07.

15. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Ft. Bliss, TX used to use any captured civilian car as the point man car, and then they would light up with regular patrol car. Worked OK.

Sent from my communicator.

16. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I would love to see one of those in action. When I am running around in my POV people are being flat out morons.

17. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    I'd love to see how effective these units are. Not effective at enforcement but at actually getting citizens to stop. A regular car, no markings, regular passenger car plates, lights up like a christmas tree? Uniformed officer or not, I doubt I would stop before a marked car showed up or their dispatch confirmed they had a car (my car) failing to yield. Seems to me like this would probably happen pretty often, tying up other marked cars from handling calls.