close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Agency size

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by scottydl, Oct 3, 2011.

1. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    How big is your agency (as in number of personnel), or agencies that you've worked at? I know we have a wide array of LE representatives here, just curious on the variety of department sizes.

Current agency: about 125 sworn, 25 non-sworn

Previous agency: about 25 sworn, 7 non-sworn

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. 30 sworn, down a couple due to budget problems. 10 civilian employees.

3. Sgt127

Sgt127

Nov 5, 2002
    Texas
    230 or so sworn.
    70-90 non sworn...? Jail, records, dispatch, crime scene...I really don't know..

4. 25 sworn including the 3 chiefs. Why we need 3 I will never know. We also have 8 civilians.

5. #1- 27 sworn, #2- 1000 sworn, #3- about 105 sworn
    Pluses and minuses at all sizes...

6. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    This was like my last agency... more Chiefs than Indians. Actually the supervisor/subordinate ratio was just about 50/50, huge waste of resources and one of the reasons I left.

I remember reading somewhere in the past that a 1:6 ratio of bosses to officers is ideal, and I agree with that now that I'm at an agency that follows that pretty closely.

7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Last agency: Approx. 200 sworn, 50ish non-sworn.

I remember hearing that 1:6 ratio as coming from the Emergency Management thing, and that being the upper limit of what they wanted for a ratio. As I recall, the said the "ideal" was 1:3, but that still seems like WAY too many supervisors, at least to me.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Nationwide and plenty of us. More than 38,000 staff in the whole agency.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Something like 165 sworn, currently running at about 150. For about three weeks in 1998 we were at full staffing, otherwise we are always short. We are running with the same number of cars on a shift as when I started 23 years ago (hey, today's my anniversary - seven years at the most until I am out).

10. Started out with a 700ish sworn agency. Currently testing with a 180ish sworn agency.

11. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    It's not how big your agency is, it's what you do with it...

Just sayin... :whistling:

Randy

12. Chico Bill

Chico Bill Millennium Member

Nov 10, 1999
    LA area, CA,USA
  13. rookie1

rookie1

Mar 3, 2009
    Iowa
    Full staff is 82 sworn, I think we are at 80 right now.

As of Oct 1 all 80 are back from deployment and no ones injured. If we can hire 2 here soon we will be at full staff. People from 10-15 years ago said they have never seen that happen. We also are lucky to get a car or a car with a body mic for the in car video. We somehow lose the little box and the dept. just sends out emails, 4 in the last 2 weeks asking us to return them. If we don't have a mic and something happens (like a complaint) we get written up, even if their not available at beginning of the shift.

14. packsaddle

packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    9 sworn.

haven't had a new position in 10 years.

meanwhile, county population has nearly doubled. :headscratch:

15. If you are referring to L.A.P.D. (my old agency) they are now over 10,000 sworn as of last year!!! And have not laid off any officers.

Of course if all they do is stop hiring they loose about 250 sworn per year. Thats why that's all they sometimes put through the academy is enough officers to maintain slightly over 10,000. I remember being hired on in 1973 and there were 6,600 sworn. I think that Los Angeles City really needs about 12,000 sworn, as big and spread out and crime ridden as the city is!!

Of course they also have about 4,000 civilians, everything from secretaries and crime analysts to janitors and mechanics.

16. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
  17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    We have around d 150 sworn, 200 total. Last department had about 50 total staff. 1st, can't remember. Maybe 100 total with security folks?

18. Counting SGT's and chiefs we have 7 Supervisors to 16 patrol officers and 2 detectives. That is a ratio of 2.57 to 1. They are also adding an additional SGT at some point this year, as if that is needed.

I also think we could cut our budget by ditching our 4 civilian code enforcement officers. They don't do much and their workload could easily be absorbed by trading them for 2 more cops. In fact since they only work during the day, night shifters do pick up their workload. Just one of the many things that don't make sense here.