close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Aftermarket barrel for self defense?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ucsdryder, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ucsdryder

ucsdryder

May 24, 2004
    California
    I just bought a g29, and the seller gave me a new storm lake barrel. It is a ported barrel. Is there any reason for me to think the aftermarket barrel would be less dependable than the stock glock barrel? Any other reasons I should NOT use the storm lake barrel for CCW?

Thanks!

2. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    The 10mm is a great feeding round, and even my aftermarket conversion has been reliable, but I would not choose a ported barrel for personal defense. You may have to fire from close to the body position and the blast will go straight up toward your face.
    Plus the factory barrel probably prove to be the most reliable in the long run and it's shorter/quicker.

3. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    i carry with a LWD barrel, after many rounds through it. I got tit for brass life primarily, and to shoot lead. The chamber support helps my brass last.
    as long as you do your due dillegence for reliability i'd say you no were good to go.

4. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Don't some of the aftermarket barrels have a tighter chamber than the Glock barrels? Anyway I use the Glock barrels, not like I'm using non jacketed rounds for SD anyway.

5. ChaneRZ

ChaneRZ

Jun 3, 2011
    SF California
    Stay with stock barrel. Less FTF. Aftermarket tends to jam.