close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

After reading about all the problems with reloading the 357SIG...

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by jeffreybehr, May 6, 2010.

1. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr
    Expand Collapse
    GAPist #1944
    Silver Member

...I wondered how difficult it would be. Turned out not bad at all.

My Lee 3-piece dies arrived yesterday and I got started. I decided to be even-more careful than I usually am in setting the seating die. I started with the loose barrel and slide. There was minimal play of the barrel in the slide, and that remained with 3 different factory loads. I adjusted the sizing die to reduce that slightly with sized-cases-only in the chamber. The mouth-expander/charging die ended set to bell the mouth just visibly. I set the taper-crimp die to just visibly crimp the mouth, and set OAL at c. 1.135".

I started with Berry's 125g. plated HPs, my goal being to create a high-velocity-but-inexpensive practice round that made spectacular kills on water jugs. I already had WSF and Longshot powders and bought some 800-X. Loaded 5 rounds each of 10 loads and tested them for function, etc., late yesterday (until my chrono wouldn't work in the gloom). Evaluated 10-each today and got higher velocities than I expected ven tho I'm using a 4-1/2" Lone Wolf barrel in my 32. Velocities at 10 feet got to the mid or high 1400s with Longshot and 800-X, respectively, but group sizes with WSF were significantly larger than those from the other 2 powders, so I won't be using WSF with the XTP 124s on the way. Can't yet find Accurate9 locally or I would have tried that too.

I blew up a few 1-gallon waterjugs with the Berry 125HPs and both bullets stayed together better than I expected. Won't be using them for PD, tho. :whistling: The factory-loaded Speer Gold Dot 125 performed approximately perfectly, as I expected.

I'll e-mail an image of my data if you request to jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net, but the usual warnings apply.

This longer-barrel-snouted 32 will be a keeper, as will my pair of 37s (.45GAP) for USPSA competition in Production class.

[​IMG]

I intend to research muzzle flash with various powders, since my otherwise-fave in that area, Universal, isn't very suitable for the loads I want.

#1 jeffreybehr, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe
    Expand Collapse

That's too fast for a plated bullet. Ranier says to limit plated bullets to 1,200 fps. so does Berry's

#2 MinervaDoe, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  3. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr
    Expand Collapse
    GAPist #1944
    Silver Member

You, Berry's, and Rainier may well be generally correct, but the bullets are accurate in the 1300s and 1400s, and the one I recovered after going thru 3 1-gallon waterjugs and cracking the far wall of the 4th stayed together even while losing significant mass.

I have a bunch more XTPs coming, so maybe the Berry's bullets will be merely standard-velocity practice loads.