close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

After Market Triggers ?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Reb 56, May 9, 2011.

1. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    Recentley installed a RRA NM Trigger on my AR, Took it to the Range and was impressed with the smooth 1st stage and the crisp trigger break. Reset was very short.
    Does anyone prefer the stock USGI Trigger?

Don't see many on this Forum talking about Trigger preferences.

2. micdude

micdude

Apr 5, 2006
    washington
    Buy once, cry once as folks say.. Geissele triggers. No need to beat around the bush.

3. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    I am only a fan of an aftermarket trigger on a high magnification rifle such as an SPR / DMR type of rifle. For myself in a battle rifle that is maybe only accurate to 2-3 MOA and using iron sights or a red dot optic, I find no advantages that I can measure in accuracy, nor am I any faster on the trigger with an aftermarket trigger vs a USGI type trigger.

I find that people who do not have a well developed trigger finger, or do not have a good trigger manipulation technique will generally lack a good mastery of the basic fundamentals of marksmanship. I also strongly feel that the better a shooter becomes at mastering the more difficult trigger, the better shooter they will be in the long run. For a shooter to be great with a USGI trigger means that they have better mastery over the basic marksmanship fundamentals. Put a match or aftermarket trigger in their hands and they will be far greater for having mastered the USGI trigger first. Going to an aftermarket or match type of trigger too quickly often robs a shooter of a valuable learning curve.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    Are they $100 better than the RRA ?

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    For the most part, I agree with Surf's post. I do prefer the more consistent pull and reset on the RRA NM trigger I have in my SBR, but that might be because the DPMS trigger from the parts kit I bought was utter crap. Maybe a better quality GI spec trigger would have worked better, but the DPMS one was pure ass.

6. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    I've shot my Rifle for 2 years with the stock trigger and glad to be rid of it. Any Rifle or Pistol is more accurate with a good trigger.

7. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    A good trigger is just a piece of the puzzle.

Crappy trigger makes for crappy accuracy. Maybe not crappy, but they aren't doing you any favors.

Geissele or JP. All I have is those two. Even in my M-16 I use a Geissele.

8. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Feb 23, 1999
    Everyfrigginwhere
    Absolutely!

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Outstanding advice from Surf!

I recently installed a Timmney 4 pound skeleton trigger in my rifle, it's a range & hunting rifle only.

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    I have a Rock River match trigger in my Bushy. Love it.

:cool:

11. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    and for those on a budget bill springfields trigger job is another good way to go

12. Minnow

Minnow

Jan 13, 2006
    Techas
    I have a RRA two stage in one of my Ar-15's as well. It is a good trigger for the money. I'd buy another without hesitation.

13. The Rock River 2 stage trigger is a very good trigger for the money. I have one in one of my carbines. But, The Giessele S3G is the very best trigger there is for an AR carbine. Until I put one in my gun I would never have even believed you could build an AR that shot and feels like it does now.

14. D4RWlN

D4RWlN

Nov 5, 2005
    Southeastern, AL
    I put a Geissele in my ACR, a timney in my father AR, and have a standard mil spec in my AR. I shoot equally well but I definitely enjoy the Timney and Geissele more. I have decided if I like the Geissele or Timney more. Single stage vs two stage.

15. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I will never own an AR that doesn't have an after-market trigger. The USGI trigger is designed for maximum reliability on the field of battle, when the rifle is in the hands of an infantryman whose main job is to provide covering fire.

There are triggers available that provide the same level of reliability, with far superior feel, and which facilitate enhanced accuracy when needed. The only reason not to switch is if the budget doesn't allow it.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  16. Surf is right on the money with his post. An extra good trigger does not make for an extra good shot, shooting fundamentals is where it's at.

17. durian00

durian00

Jul 6, 2007
    Virginia
    I have a RRA NM and it's good but I am going to try a Geissele Super 3Gun because of all the gushing and Geissele's comparison table for all their triggers for different uses. I intend to use mine for 3 Gun.

18. On a defensive rifle, yes, becasue it's the most reliable.

19. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Mar 3, 2009
    kansas
    I purchased a RRA NM Trigger, not impressed wish I spent more on a trigger for my AR. I have jewel triggers on my benchrest rifle and on a custom Rem action now those are smooth and break like glass. I did not think the RRA 2 stag would be that good but I don't think it is any better then a stock trigger.