Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

After Looking Locally For a NM Serial Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.I give up..

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by dgbee456, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dgbee456

Nov 11, 2008
    After Looking Locally For a NM Serial Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.I give up..
    I could not find any mil spec's at all I found a Made In Brazil 1911 Mil Spec Springer...

I have some newbie questions...

I had a Dan Wesson Cbob Last year but it was jamming after trying to fix it i think it might have been too tight..even after 500 rounds it would get a FTF failure after 60 to 80 rounds at the range...

My question is the Mil Spec a good choice to get back into the 1911 game....
    and what should I look for as soon as I get mine to make to sure it is not a lemon..
  2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Take a look at a Remington R1

3. dgbee456

Nov 11, 2008
    I thought the R1 Remington 1911 had a powdered metal frame..
  4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Investment cast.
  5. Springfield Armory apparently has an amazing customer service department. And a lifetime warranty. Any problems, send'r back. But look at the SS ones - very nice. :)
  6. perhaps Springfield of late is saving their NM frames for the RO...I (and many others) thought the Mil-Spec was a fine starting point for upgrades...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  7. Eagle22

Feb 6, 2009
    Raleigh NC

That is a might fine looking piece there Bill.

Been looking for a basic 1911 with 3 dot sights. Not too expensive for my first 1911.
  8. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  9. a great choice for a starter 1911.
  10. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas

What's wrong with a "Made in Brazil" marked Mil-Spec?
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  11. Nickpisp

Oct 12, 2010
    Nothing, but the "NM" serial numbered guns seem to be fit a little better.
  12. gocubs6

Aug 16, 2010
    My Mil Spec is great. It is NM, but I doubt that makes too much of a difference.
  13. The Mil-Spec is an excellent choice! :cool:
  14. they are finished better (NM marked pistols) least on the examples of the two my buddy and I bought in 2005...but they shoot identically...then and now (he was part of Teddy Jacobson and Stephen Camp's Project Street Gun #1 as well :D)
  15. The Mil-Specs are very good basic 1911's.
    I like to replace the internal locking system in the mainspring housing by using a good quality part and a rebuild kit that you can get from Brownells.
    Never buy the cheap mainspring housing. You want a good one because of the better fit and overall quality.
    Look at the feed ramp in the frame. It should be uniform and clean looking across the entire width of it.
    Then of course the barrel ramp should look clean and uniform.
    These can be easily cleaned up with some good metal polish on a cotton fob/ dremmel.
    I like to polish the metal to metal surfaces also throughout the slide/frame contact areas.
    The breach face where the firing pin hole is located usually needs to be polished and on the inside of the slide there will be some engraved numbers/ letters that need to be smoothed over so the sharp edges do not drag across the top of the disconnector.
    Some 400g sandpaper will do and then finish it with 800 or 1000g paper.
    I could go on and on I guess but it really isn't necessary to do much else.
    I don't care for the springs they use so I usually replace them with some good quality springs, also from Brownells.
  16. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I have loaded model that has a NM serial number.
    It's also marked on the dust cover made in Brazil.

I think this whole NM business is nothing but gun urban legend.
  17. you are free to think what you want...Springfield had confirmed the NM (at least on the Mil Spec model for which they were asked) is finished in Illinois...a buddy and I each bought stainless Mil Specs from the same dealer on the same day...mine was NM marked...his was N marked...the matte sections (like the top of the slide) were a darker gray on his than on mine...the front sight was a different profile on his than on mine...the interior was finished more (but still showed marks) on mine than on his...his has Brasil marked while mine doesn't...HOWEVER they both shoot identically...

I had only heard the NM marked pistols being finished in Illinois only applied to the GI and Mil Spec guns (...and now the RO)...and not to the Loaded models...I believe all TRPs and above are also finished in Illinois..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  18. Captain Bligh

Captain Bligh

Sep 9, 2001
    A Mil-Spec is a good gun, but more importantly is a fine platform to become an excellent gun. My stainless Mil-Spec was made in Brazil. It came with an insanely heavy trigger pull and a 10% failure rate from failure to feed.

After a trip back to Geneseo, IL it is now one remarkable pistol. The repair shop polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel, and changed the extractor. While it was there anyway, I purchased the defense package.

The gun came back accurate, reliable, and with a 4.5 lb trigger that breaks like glass. Would I have had these problems if mine was finished in the USA? I can't say. I can say it makes absolutely no difference now.
  19. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio