close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice taking on multiple GSSF categories.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Giggity-Giggity, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Hey guys! I've been a GSSF shooter for 6 years and now that I've acquired multiple Glocks, it's time to compete in multiple classes.

I've only been doing just one class: Amateur Civilian. Now I want to do Am Civi (with a Glock 17), Am Subcompact (G27) and Am Competition (G35).

This will be my first time shooting in more than one class. So on the day of the event, what should I expect in terms of time and preparation? Thanks for the advice guys.

2. SARDG

SARDG

Not certain exactly what you mean. Getting your stickers will take the same amount of time if you've preregistered. After that, preparation is up to you at the line, and being ready when you're called and having a minimum of 4 mags pre-loaded per gun you are shooting will take care of that.

As you may know, you can shoot 2 divisions/guns before backing off the line and waiting a shooter, then coming back. If you are extremely organized and an experienced shooter, and it's okay with others waiting and the RO, you could shoot three in a row. Often, and with experienced shooters who aren't consumed with videos, too few mags, or malfunctioning guns, it is often faster overall.

Most of the time is spent waiting to shoot as you've likely discovered, but each shooter/gun should take no more than 5 minutes; less actually.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

3. mike g35

mike g35

Thats a pretty good summation of things. All I can add is make sure you have enough ammo and have your mags loaded for ALL of your guns. Don't wait to load for your 3rd division on a stage because you think you will have time. Sure enough if you do they will tell you to go ahead and shoot the 3rd division right after the 2nd. In other words be prepared to shoot 3 divisions in a row.
    I'm suprised you haven't seen others shooting 3 divisions at a match. Try to watch someone shooting before you thats shooting 3 divisions and follow their lead. Are you shooting in KY this weekend???

(I have only shot one match but I ask alot of questions and read everything on this forum, thats where I got my information. Saturday will be my 1st time shooting 3 divisions as well.)

4. Giggity-Giggity

Sorry, if it sounds confusing but you all answered my question. No I'm not doing KY, I just moved to CA and I'm doing Piru next month. I can't wait!

5. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I shoot the same divisions you plan on doing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I use a G27 for Sub, a G34 for Comp and a G17 for Civilian.<o:p></o:p>
    I have 10 mags for the G27 loaded and ready to go the night before the match.<o:p></o:p>
    I have 20 mags for the G17 and G34 loaded and ready to go the night before the match.<o:p></o:p>
    I never have to reload at the match, unless of a reshoot or something. So, I bring extra ammo.<o:p></o:p>
    You will see some here are even more organized. They have mag pouches that hold 6 or 8 mags and their marked for each gun and each course.<o:p></o:p>
    I haven't gotten into that just yet, but intend too. I just need to order the pouches that Danny had a link too a few weeks ago.<o:p></o:p>
    Ask Kitty how organized she is? Right Kitty?

She numbers each mag and has pouches for the mags and a carrying case for the pouches.

Greg<o:p></o:p>

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  6. mike g35

mike g35

Just be sure your prepared to shoot all 3 divisions in a row and whats even more important than that just have fun. Good luck in Piru CA.

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

You mean like this?

Don

8. Dr. Rod

Dr. Rod Millennium Member

Don, what do you use to keep the mags so organized inside the range bag?

9. SARDG

SARDG

Nah, like this:

The top of these photos is the downrange end.

Start with a black storage box available from Wal-Mart for about $10 in Sporting Goods - or in orange in the fishing area.
    [​IMG]

Then use five, 6-rnd mag holders. This gives you 30 mags - enough for 3 divisions. These are all for 9mil (17 & 34) and for three potential divisions... AmCiv, Comp, XXX. My mag holder colors here are olive drab because my 17 and 34 are OD. (note mag/holder numbering at inside-rear of box) Up to two bagged guns will fit inside this box with the five mag holders.
    [​IMG]

Close-up of numbering system:
    [​IMG]

The first mag and the forth mag are loaded to 11 - these are the first mags in each '5' and 'M' stage. Each mag is also individually numbered - mostly for IDPA when I drop one in the sand I can remember the mag number to clean up when I return home.
    [​IMG]

As I shoot through mags, I re-insert the used mags back in the place from whence they came - BUT FLIPPED to indicate spent mags.
    [​IMG]

This is what the mag holder looks like after completing one Division/stage/gun - 3 used, 3 up, with mag number 4 loaded to 11 rounds.
    [​IMG]

I actually use this system for all my competitive disciplines, but it also lends itself to steel, in particular.

Kitty

EDIT: Again... I don't (normally) shoot to slide-lock so do not load all mags to 11 - only the first one in each Division/gun/stage shot.

10. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

see, I told ya she was organized....!!
    Greg

11. SARDG

SARDG

I think the word was anal...

12. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

yea, that's it! lol

I'm actually going to copy what you do, except for the Wal-Mart box.
    I already have a bag all those pouches will fit in.

Greg

13. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I use the cardboard magazine holders like they use in Libraries, cut them down to the height I want and tape them together. I can carry 40 in it and it will fit in my bag. If I shoot 5 categories I carry a small mag pouch with mags for it.

Don

14. Giggity-Giggity

15. SARDG

SARDG

Oh... another thing that can help speed things along a bit - I don't wait for a 'reload' command, nor expect experienced shooters to wait for me to say that between strings when I RO. ("Load and make ready." - Yes)

16. gary newport

gary newport

Not everyone wants to shoot back-to-back divisions! I've been shooting several GSSF divisions for the past few years and I very much dislike going back-to-back--I've been forced to do so once or twice by range considerations.

I suggest taking a pause between divisions--allow one or more shooters to shoot between your entries. Your score is based on the time you take to shoot the stages of each division, not on the time you take to shoot the match! It folllows that the only time you need to hurry is when shooting a string on a stage--and you don't want to hurry too much when shooting that string, if hurrying contributes to missing!

Being efficient, though, is a Good Thing. I have four magazines loaded (with 10 rounds or 6 in Heavy Metal) for each division I will be shooting, plus a Barney mag for each different Glock I will be shooting. I reload these between stages so that I don't have to reload mags between divisions at a stage. This allows me more freedom to help tape or to watch my team members shoot.

For the last several years, I've been fortunate enough to shoot with members of my Civilian team. I take the team's score sheets and interleave them, creating a "mini-squad," so that we all have breaks between our times on the line of fire.

There is a possibility that I will be shooting Piru this year--for the first time. If so, I hope we get a chance to cross paths there, Giggity.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  17. Giggity-Giggity

Thanks Gary for the advice on pausing between the classes. Hope to see you there; I had already sent in my registration form.

What am I to expect in the Amateur Subcompact class, since I have only 9 rounders for my G27? Thanks again guys!!!

18. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

you need to get 15 rounders.

19. SARDG

SARDG

Or... get +2 extensions. That would be cheaper. Standard mag for a G23 though, would be 13.

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Find some +2 bottoms...or don't miss:rofl:

ETA- I shoot 5 categories, usually in this order:
    HM
    SubComp
    Unlimited
    Stock
    Comp

I usually shoot the 1st 2 back to back and all the way through the match. Then I start the match over; for the last 3, I am using the same stock 17 so I prefer to shoot back to back ( and to back if the person after me will allow it) because I can get in a groove and keep going while I am warmed up.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011