close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Advice on duty weapon for LE girlfriend with small hands

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jaykwish, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Orive 8

Orive 8

Jun 8, 2004
    Mt. Lebanon, PA
    If she has a choice, a 4th Gen Glock 37 .45 GAP.

Small grip diameter, 10+1 capacity of .45 caliber round. Very reliable, as a former officer - if I was to go back in uniform tomorrow and given a choice of duty gun - the Glock 37 would be at the top of my list for possible guns.

I have smaller hands and this combo is pretty hard to beat.

Good luck to her with her choice.

2. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    If she can carry 9mm, there's no reason not to. Glock 17 gen 4 feels like a .22

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. bubalus

bubalus

Oct 30, 2011
    I think going to a range and trying out a variety of guns and calibers would be time and money well spent.

4. SGT45

SGT45 Silver Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Southcentral,PA
    GEN 4's.
    Our agency always issued small statured officers with small hands G19's in the late '80's and early 90's. G23's up to 2006. from 2006 on it was either G23's or G38's and some G30SF's. Now with the GEN 4's. Choice of G23G4, G30G4, G37G4, and G21G4, the .45 cal. pistols being issue pistols. Other Glocks are authorized for carry.

The G21G4 is really liked now by the smaller framed (hands) officers. I would recommend any GEN 4 for her!!!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

Apr 18, 2007
    If she likes the 1911 have her look at a sti 2011. The grip is roighly 1911 size and people like freedom gun works can do a grip reduction and stipple fo like 50 bucks and that gun will shoot like she is use to with a lot more ammo.

6. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Jun 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    The G23 would be a great choice for duty, that's what I carry, the 23 with G22 mags on my belt.

Sounds like the Dept. she works for needs to get it together. It is always a good idea for all officers to carry the same caliber and make of duty weapon. Never know when something terrible will happen. She may need to rely on another officer for a magazine or ammunition one day. With everyone having a different caliber and model of duty weapon, this could be the difference between life and death.

7. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

Apr 18, 2007
    The same token against that is shoot what your more comfortable with and if the other officer wasted every round they had why would you give them more to waste

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  9. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa
    I have carried, as has every officer in my department, a Glock 17 or 19 with Federal +P+ Hydrashoks since 1990 or 1991. You have capacity and power in an easy to maintain, easy to operate weapon.

I like 1911's a lot but I couldn't be bothered with one for duty use. Not like I have a choice, but if the administration said we could transition I doubt with all of the time I have with a Glock, I would.

One of the above posters said that he believed that any officer carrying a 1911 did so by choice. I have met an officer carrying one simply because it is the issued gun. Kimber. I asked if he liked it. He said he wasn't a gun guy but it is ok. I asked him if it jammed. He said sometimes. Obviously, I don't know how he maintained it. The only time I have had a Glock jam was when I induced it for qualification.

A Glock 19 or 17 especially the GEN4 will protect her fine. The price is right also.

10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Many departments let officers carry whatever caliber they're comfortable with. The odds of sharing mags is almost unheard of. Only instance I can think of is north Hollywood, not sure if they even shared on that. If I go through all 70 rds on my belt and can't get to my rifle it's a very bad day

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. FiveToOne

FiveToOne

Apr 1, 2013
    G23 Gen4, less backstrap than the Gen 3's, probably be good for smaller hands.

12. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    The whole sharing ammo in the field is so over thought. If the agency buys practice ammo I could see that being a factor to keep everyone in the same caliber.

13. sdfhpson

sdfhpson

Sep 28, 2004
    Midwest
    I skimmed through all the posts and didn't see an XDm mentioned. I don't own one, but my sgt owns both M&P and XD and likes them with small hands. My sister has small hands (doesn't even fit my Gen4 G23 very well), and I'm recommending one of these to her. From my exp, the grip isn't much larger between the 40 & 45's on these models either...

If she can comfortably enjoy shooting a G20 or G21, I'm not quite sure her hands would qualify as 'small.'

14. sdfhpson

sdfhpson

Sep 28, 2004
    Midwest
    Agreed. Plus I joke with the guys that if there's a reason I'm into my 2nd mag, I for sure am not giving away my 3rd!

15. tpr7304

tpr7304

Jan 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Gen 4 Glock 30. She can get it at a good price with the blue label program.

16. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    Check out Cold Bore Customs. Lane can take the hump out of the backstrap and reduce the overall grip size. The G20 is great, but If her hands are real small it may be best to start with the smaller G22 or G17.

17. 21 Glock salute

21 Glock salute

Jan 2, 2013
    IL
    I'd just go for the glock...in 9mm. If you need more firepower then it is a good idea to have a rifle. If she wants a .45 it is important to remember that a glock 21 makes you realize what a big gun actually is. Mine's a behemoth and I have medium size hands. There really aren't many .45 caliber pistols I've shot that rival the 1911 in ergos, but the M&P would be one. I tried one at a local range and while I didn't shoot it as well as my g21, it functioned 100% (even with a missing slide release) and felt good in the hand. If she's recoil shy, it's worth mentioning that it felt a little sharper with the M&P, but that's a trade off for a slimmer grip. Keep safe!

18. 21 Glock salute

21 Glock salute

Jan 2, 2013
    IL
    If she's familiar with the 1911 platform, maybe a Para Ordnance? It would be familiar, but they offer the P14, which has 14 rounds of .45 and if they give her choice for her own duty weapon it might work... :dunno:

19. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    The 10mm has a little more recoil, but it's certainly a good weapon. As you have said your wife likes the 20sf, she would like the 29 or 29sf or Gen4 G29. She can use the the G20 magazines (when on duty) and can then use the 29 magazines for off duty. Of course she can do the same thing with the G30 and G21. It will boil down to what caliber she likes better.