close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adventure at the gas station

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by automatic slim, Oct 11, 2012.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Club soda works similar to gasoline - it pools in the catchbasins and emits CO2, which suffocates the ants. ;)

2. stravis

stravis

Apr 29, 2008
    You can also just take about half a shovel from one mound and dump it on top of another. The mound you dumped it on top of will be gone in a couple of days. They kill each other. Go around doing this to all of your mounds and you have an ant teotwawki in your yard for a couple of days.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Gas contaminates ground water and kills your lawn. If you can buy DE, why wouldn't you just buy ant poison and keep it handy? Ant hills aren't a surprise. You know they're coming.

Side note: Broadcast generic talstar and ant hills don't happen.

4. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    I prefer Pyrodex. Just sprinkle some into a tube of sorts, cap said tube (after pre drilling one with a small drill bit) then insert cannon fuse into pre-drilled hole. Put said tube into mound, light fuse, and then RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!! Ants...and a considerable portion of your lawn....are gone. :rofl: :)

Warning: don't be a moron, don't try that. This practice has been known to make you see things...like hospitals and ATF agents.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I don't have enough ants to make it worthwhile to buy the poison, but DE is good for all bugs.

As noted, if a cup of gasoline hurts the groundwater we're long since doomed, and it's never hurt my lawn. If a little bit of grass dies around the mound it's of no consequence.

6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    True story - a Gold's Gym in Seneca caught on fire. Turns out a former employee broke in, poured gas everywhere and lit it on fire.

They caught him because he walked to a nearby gas station to get the gas. When he had trouble with the gas can the gas attendant suggested he return it. The arsonist's response was "I'm only going to use it once anyway."

That kind of struck the attendant as odd.

7. SC Tiger

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    In that case just run an electrical cord into the mound.

8. F350

F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains

BUT....... Would it have been as much fun?!?!? :rofl:

9. SC Tiger

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    Not only that but it also serves as a warning to any other ants that are looking at moving in. :rofl:

10. F350

F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains
    Kinda reminds me of a little adventure my buddy and I had.

He lived on a farm and his mom told us to get rid of a mole that had dug a tunnel across the front yard, so like good little boys we did as we were told.

We opened up both ends of the tunnel, placed a lit candle in one end; in the other end we placed a baby food jar half full of water and dropped in a half dozen carbide crystals, covered with a board and ran like hell!

If you don't know carbide in water produces acetylene gas (as used in cutting torches); when the gas reached the candle it blew a trench across the front yard, she didn't say anything about not damaging the yard.

We had to dodge her for a week; after she cooled down she thought it was pretty funny.

11. It's a nice mound you have here... It would be a shame if it caught on fire.

12. My ant drives a Town Car? :whistling:

13. I use instant grits. I have a plastic shaker cup of them in the garage. Little ants take the grits to the queen and they expand upon consumption. A couple of days or so and they are gone. Fire ant piles are the only ones I mess with but it works well and I don't have to worry about my wife's less than intelligent dog eating ant poison... If something happens to that dog I can only imagine what she would replace it with.

14. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Feb 15, 2002
    CA

Honestly, depending on where the hill is, it can sometimes be better to just leave them be. He knows where the hill is now...once the survivors relocate, the hill might end up at a place he really doesn't want them to be.

15. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Feb 15, 2002
    CA

Pretty clever. Will have to remember that.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Burn the whole lawn. Its the only way to be sure.

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Pink Panther theme...

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2