close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ADT Home Security?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

What do you think of ADT?

We have never had a home security system, but the basic package deal looks good on the outside.

Pros and cons?

2. smokin762

smokin762

My parents had it years ago when they lived in Cleveland. My dad was not that good with alarm systems. He would always accidently set off the one on his car. Then he decided to get one for the house. I knew this would not end well. :upeyes:

He set off the house alarm three times when coming home from work on the weekends. He kept forgetting about it and got distracted with taking the dog out when he opened the door. After three times, they started charging him for each occurrence.

I remember him telling me, they are like the cable company. Every year the price keeps jumping up to the point where you need to justify having it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

3. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I recently installed the ADT "Pulse" system...complete with cameras, etc. The ability to control and check your system from a smart phone is really nice.

Our second home in Florida has an older version of ADT system that has worked perfectly for years. I'll be switching it to a Pulse system this winter.

4. 56belair

56belair

This was posted on another forum recently.

"To all that have ADT.
    I work for a family owned and operated security company (my fathers the owner) We Specialize in working with customers that have or had ADT systems installed in their homes or place of business.
    I will not bad mouth another alarm company ever, but i have learned some things about them. in their valiant effort to reduce false alarms, they are actually giving thieves more time in your home.
    Having said that i will offer this one piece of advice, if you have an ADT system, please call them and ask their technical or programming department if you have a feature called "abort delay". If so request them to turn it off and also request them to immediately act on a burglary signal from your home instead of waiting 1 minute for a cancellation signal.
    Our company has taken over and or replace/upgraded many residential systems in the D.C. metro area, and several national retail accounts due to this. The way it works is when your system goes into alarm, the siren will sound for a pre-determined time before the dialer actually sends ADT the signal, this is the "abort delay" feature. Then after ADT receives the signal they wait in most cases 1 full minute or longer for a cancellation signal, if none is received then they actually contact the respective authority. FIRE alarms do not do this.
    So if you get broken into at your front door for example, and you have 30 seconds of entry delay, plus the usual 15 seconds of abort delay, and a 1 minute delay waiting for a cancellation, you are giving the thieves all that extra time to do what they do best. 1 minute 45 seconds does not sound like a long time, but add to that the time it takes the average alarm system to transmit a signal (5-10 seconds) time for the receiver to process the signal and post it to the operators for response (5-20 seconds), the time it takes an operator to actually call the authority and make the alarm call, plus the response time of the local authority.
    Now not to scare anyone, but if you have ADT and have what is called a "console" system, Lynx, Simon..etc These are usually the $99-$199 specials and look like a answering machine or a big ass intercom either sitting on your counter or mounted on your wall, The above advice about calling them is MAJOR important for you. In 1 minute 45 seconds someone can break in, go to the thing that's making noise, pick it up or pry it off the wall and slam it on the floor......Guess what, they just destroyed your main control panel, siren, keypad, and alarm communicator. ADT receives nothing.
    (And if your an ADT customer you pay too much for your monitoring) "

5. fireguy129

fireguy129 NRA Member 2008

Technology wise they're far ahead of my current alarm system. I've got an Ademco system, installed and monitored through a local company. It's good, it costs me $45 every 3 months for monitoring, but I don't have the advanced options like smart phone monitoring or the like.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

7. Restless28

Restless28

Right now, I can have the install done for $99 and get the system free with a 3 year monitoring agreement for $44 a month. We're a cellular family.

Plus, I get a $100 Visa card for joining.

It looks like the system comes with 2 sensors for openings, and I'm sure others would be added, if recommended.

I'm going to call to set up a consultation.

8. jpa

jpa CLM

The only thing I've figured out about alarm systems is that they alert someone your property has just been broken into just in time for them to come out and make a report or contact you to secure the property so it doesn't sit open after the burglar has come and gone. I've been a police dispatcher for 10 years and I've never sent the police to an alarm (residential or commercial) where they've found the criminal still inside the business. The burglars know that if there's an alarm they have a limited amount of time and they better GTFO, but it's not going to stop them from getting what they came for first. Mind you, I think alarms are worth it, but you have to manage your expectations of what they're going to do.

As an example, imagine you're the manager of an electronics store. You close at 9pm and the store reopens at 10am the next day. Around midnight a thief pulls up, chucks a brick through your front door and steals a whole stack of laptops. Total time from when he chucks the brick until he's got the laptops loaded in his car and he's driving away might be 2-3 minutes. (quicker if he has help) So now he's gone and nobody is going to be working at your store for another 10 hours. Do you want to leave the store open and exposed to anyone else who happens across the property in that time period? Or do you want the police or a private alarm company guard to respond, note that a burglary occurred and contact you to come secure the building? Also, while you're on the way and calling a boardup service, they can clear the building to make sure nobody is lurking inside and if the police respond, they can start working on the case report that your insurance is going to ask for.

Same thing goes for a residence. Say you work a regular 9-5 job. You leave for work around 8 or 8:30 and return home around 6. You're essentially gone for 10 hours out of the day. Joe crackhead breaks in at 10am looking for some electronics to pawn to get his fix. In and out in 5 minutes with your XBox and Ipad in tow. Do you want your house completely unsecured for the next 8 hours? What about if you have kids that come home from school on their own? Do you want them walking into an unknown situation where the house has been sitting unsecured for an unknown period of time?

A residential alarm also has the added benefit that you can arm the perimeter while you're home. This gives you warning if someone gains entry while you're home and asleep and allows you to either call 911 or arm yourself.

It all depends on what you want the alarm to do. It's not going to make the police or security materialize instantly, it's probably not going to PREVENT a burglary, nor is it going to attract all your neighbors to come running to your aid or witness the burglary in progress. It will notify security or the police to respond, it will limit the burglar's time in the property since they'll want to leave before the fuzz show up and it will ultimately result in you getting notified so you can secure the property and won't be walking into a surprise when you return home. That plus the homeowners insurance discount make an alarm worthwhile IMHO.

9. Drjones

Drjones

My 2 cents:

We got an ADT system, they came to our home soliciting because they keep track of new home purchases - pretty smart, IMO.

Anyhow, the girlfriend really wanted one and I have long thought it would be a good idea, so we went with it. $47.99/mo for monitoring and install/equipment was FREE.

The couple times I've tripped it, I get an instant call from the monitoring center asking me if I'm ok & verifying my identity.

I'm pretty happy overall. It's just one layer in a home defense/security system though.

Oh, coolest thing is the system came with a key fob, just like you have to unlock your car remotely. It has like a 1-200 foot range, so you can easily arm/disarm the alarm soon as you pull into the drive way. Very, very cool....it also has a panic button on it to trip the alarm in case anything happens.

You should also prob get an alarm permit from your local LEO. It either gives you some leeway for false alarms and/or ensures they will respond since you went to the trouble of filing for a permit. Something like that...

10. Drjones

Drjones

Don't do it. Work them some more. They are pretty hard-core sales dudes & need/want to make the deal. We hemmed & hawed & delayed & they kept adding in goodies & dropping prices until it got about as good as possible. Like I said above, we got our install AND all equipment for FREE. I think they even threw in an additional door sensor or two.

WORK THEM LIKE A RENTED MULE! :supergrin:

ETA: Nevermind, since you're getting the $100 Visa, guess you're still getting basically the same deal. Anyway, I'd still work them to see what else you could get for free. :) :cool:

11. Drjones

Drjones

I'm just about positive that they told us if the unit doesn't check in on a regular basis or otherwise loses the cellular connection, they treat it like a trip and dispatch the police. They monitor for loss of connection too...

Come on, you think they haven't thought of that scenario already?

12. Tarowah

Tarowah

ADT is the largest alarm company in the world with around 7 million customers, while they are a bit higher per month than some, you get what you pay for.

13. Drjones

Drjones

I'll admit that we just kind of jumped into it; the sales guys were...persistent...we had just moved in, my girl really wanted it...so I did something I never, EVER do, which is to buy without researching. But of course they gave us a 30 day period to return everything & cancel the contract with no penalty.

That being said, I feel that, after getting the equip & install for FREE, $48/mo is reasonable for monitoring. Is it the cheapest in the world? No, and frankly I'd prob be a little disconcerted if it was because often you get what you pay for.

Like I said, I've accidentally tripped the alarm twice, and just as soon as I could disarm it, I had an ADT rep talking to me live over the system checking on us. Very reassuring.

14. Drjones

Drjones

Are they pretty well regarded in general?

15. Tarowah

Tarowah

I think ADT is well worth the extra money, as I said you get what you pay for, I could tell you things about mom and pop alarm companies that would blow you away.

16. Tarowah

Tarowah

90% of the fortune 500 companies use ADT, the DOJ uses ADT and they have offices in nearly every country in the world, I would think small alarm companies hate them but in the buisness world they have a solid track record.

17. RF7126

RF7126

Edited -

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  18. Drjones

Drjones

Very good to know... Thanks!

19. Restless28

Restless28

Update.

I made the call. I negotiated 2 extra wireless monitors and an extra key fob, a $400 or so value, and I'm getting a $100 Visa gift card to offset the $99 install fee. My monitoring is $44.99 a month with free cellular uplink.

Lifetime warranty and maintenance included.

They are coming tomorrow to install it. I'll post the outcome, but, right now, I'm tickled.

The salesman told me that Sunday was a great day to bargain.

20. Officer X

Officer X

Upwards of 95% of alarm calls in our town are false. 1 minute 45 seconds doesn't sound too bad when on a good night, our PD has about a 10 minute response time to an alarm.

On a busy shift, calls are answered by priority and unless a neighbor calls and tells us they see somebody going into your house, other emergencies will take priority to an alarm. I've worked shifts where we were answering alarm calls that were an hour + pending.