close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Adobe Flash Player

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by M&P15T, Mar 14, 2013.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    It seems to slow the loading of web pages a lot on my lap top. I have removed it in the past, and seen my 'puter speed up dramatically while loading web pages.

Is there an older version of Adobe Flash Player that doesn't slow down page loading so much? Or is there some other flash player that is compatable that works better?

Also, if someone can explain why it slows down page loading so much, I would be interested in learning. Can't be too educated on stuff.

Another thought; Is there some setting(s) in Adobe Flash Player that I can adjust?

Thanks in advance ya'll.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. You really don't want to use an older version of flash. The up to date version had enough security holes in it, you really don't want to add the hundreds of them that Adobe has already fixed over the years.

I can't wait until HTML 5 kills off flash, but that's just me.

If you were using Linux I'd say you could try gnash. You didn't really say you aren't, but I'm guessing your using windows.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Sorry......yeah, I'm using Windows.

Why does Adobe Flash Player slow things down so much? Does it, like, data mine you're 'puter for advertising information and such?

4. Not sure about that one. I've never really noticed that with any of my computers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    if I HAVE to view flash, I use Chrome. My other browsers are flashless

6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Which browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Mozilla Firefox? Google Chrome? I believe Google Chrome includes it's own version of Flash Player. For the others, you should know if the browser is 32 bit or 64 bit. There are different versions of Flash Player. There is a Flash Player uninstaller that is often cleaner than uninstalling from the control panel. Flash Player usually works best if you install or even update with the full installer instead of allowing Flash Player to automatically update itself. This requires that you know which version you need though.

7. I'm inclined to say that adobe flash player works every bit as well as steve jobs intended for it to.

Which is to say it really doesn't, and despite not being a direct part of the dev team, his effect on the technology was considerable.

Flash will join the vrml standard in the tech wastebasket soon enough.

8. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    On my Win 7 laptop with IE 10 and Chrome, Flash cookies slow my system down a lot. I installed "Spybot Search and Destroy" which cleans all that junk out when I run it.

Recently the government (I forget which agency) asked Americans to stop using Flash. They reversed the appeal a few weeks later, but absolutely encouraged people to use the most up to date Flash players. Will be happy when HTML makes flash a thing of the past.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. It was JAVA not FLASH.