close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

adding ghost rings to Moss 500

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by FH Alum, Jul 15, 2010.

1. FH Alum

FH Alum

Jan 14, 2005
    Beaver State
    How hard is it to add ghost rings to a mossy 500? Anyone recommend a good aftermarket set up? I have an ancient 500 (It's actually labeled a Western Field but we all know its a mossy) there are no screw taps on the receiver but I can drill a couple of holes in aluminum. The issue is how to set up the front sight. Anyone have a suggestion for a kit/setup. Does anyone make a barrel with the front sight pre-installed? Is it just cheaper and easier to buy a 590?

Or, would it be better to mount a scope rail on the receiver and install a red dot?

Thanks for your help.

2. FH Alum

FH Alum

Jan 14, 2005
    Beaver State
    How do you install the front site? Weld it? Braze it with an oxy torch? JB weld (lol)?

3. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    Honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble. I would just buy the 590A1 if I really wanted the GRs. I'm fine with the bead but that A1 is bad ass.

4. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    the grs are sure nice but u dont really need them IMO unless yor using your shotgun for long distance shooting

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    This is the conclusion I came to. I have a 590 20" with the bead sight and looked into converting it and decided to just buy the 590A1 18" with GRs for $420. I was not going to be comfortable doing the work myself so after buying the ghost rings and estimating a $100 for the smith I just went with a new shotgun and leave my 590 the way it is. I plan to SBS it and get a 14" barrel so it will end up very different then the 590.

You can never have to many shotguns. Right? :whistling:

6. FH Alum

FH Alum

Jan 14, 2005
    Beaver State
    True, very true. and not just with shotguns, but any firearm, fishing tackle and boat accessories. (god help me I actually thought about picking up golf again the other day too!!)

I picked this gun up a couple of years ago for $75 and was just thinking it might be a fun project to do. It may get converted back to a field gun but I had a buddy of mine give me a 18" barrel and I picked up a side saddle a couple of weeks ago for $5 from a co-worker. Was thinking it might be a fun project.

However, I may now put the vent rib back on and give it a camo treatment as there are now some areas around here putting a bounty on turkeys. May be time to look into going after those guys.

For $70 bucks though I may pick up the sight kit and see if I can braze it on. Worst case I screw up a free barrel, but my oxy torch kung-fu is pretty strong.