Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Active Shooter Poll

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by beatcop, Jul 23, 2012.

1. beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    Has the latest vest wearing active shooter had an impact on your handgun choice?

1. Odds are this won't happen to me.
    2. I'm getting a Five-Seven!
    3. Worried that my .32/.380 may not be enough.
    4. I need a vest

Ok, are you REALLY going to change your tactics, training, or equipment? ...or just avoid death traps?
  2. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    To be completely honest, I don't think that I'd have been in the position to do anything other than try to help my wife and I escape.

Initially, I'd probably thought it was either some sort of movie publicity stunt, or perhaps a prank. Once I realized it was a real situation... I'm not sure how much I'd have been able to do with my lowly G27's 10 shots of .40 S&W in a smoke filled, dark room filled with hundreds of fleeing people. The odds of being able to safely take a shot would have been very slim.

I carry to protect myself and my family primarily. I'd like to think that if I were in a situation like what occurred in Aurora, CO I'd have the courage, skill and opportunity to do something about it, but realistically I know that is unlikely. CCW is most effective against common criminals and thugs... people with fear of death and normal mental functions. Crazed spree-killers are a whole different animal where luck plays a much bigger role than preparation can.

3. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    As a citizen... nope, not in the least. I will continue to carry a jframe. If armor clad ninjas attack me, I can accept the fact that purhaps I am not prepared for that scenario.
  4. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    1. Odds are this won't happen to me. But it doesn't change my carry choices either way. If anything happens, my skill with 13 rounds of 124+P Gold Dots will be put to the test.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    -My p32 would probably not cut the mustard.
    -Apathy will take over in a few months, but the 5-7 sounds appealing.
    -time to watch for copycats looking for a "purpose" in life
  6. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    May not be enough, but I carry a FMJ reload in 10MM.
  7. Lior

Jul 23, 2004
    By the look of things, S&W will start making Model 500s in three shifts.

But for me, I just want to be as accurate as possible with my primary carry. Gas masks are not impervious to niners.
  8. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    1. Odds are it won't. And they're very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very good odds.

2. Good little gun. Might or might not have defeated his armor, we'd need to know more about it.

3. Just about any handgun wouldn't have been enough.

4. Vest wouldn't have helped given what he was firing.

So, no, it hasn't affected my choices at all. I realize that any pistol is a crappy manstopper to begin with - I'm under no delusions that anything is going to enable me to go up against a fully armored gunman with a rifle.
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Got to agree with John R. Not going to change anything for me. Generally I go to extremes to try my best to avoid going anyplace where there might be danger. Haven't seen a movie at a theater in decades, don't attend sporting events etc.

I always carry my P3AT during almost all of my waking hours. Then its a Kahr 9 or 40, or at times a 10 plus 1 45ACP. Just depends.

If by chance I had been in that theater, I'd probably would have had the 45. But unless the guy walked by me within a very few feet, I'd have been ducking and seeking cover or running like the rest.
  10. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Apr 24, 2008
    Northwest Louisiana
    As I evaluated what was known about the situation early on, I concluded that my PF-9 would be insufficient against an AR-15 with a 100-rd Beta Mag.

As one cop I know put it, "Your handgun is what you use to fight your way to your rifle." If you're already up against a rifle and you don't have access to one, then your options are conceal, cover and covertly exit. There's nothing wrong with a strategic withdrawal when faced with superior firepower.
  11. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    Does anyone know what kind of body armor the jerk was wearing? Standard police body armor won't be penetrated by handgun ammunition but the person shot will still have devastating blunt trauma injuries. Getting hit in the chest with a .40 would feel like someone hitting you with a hammer.

Not many people could stand too many shots like this.

This incident reminded me to do more practice on the double tap to the chest followed by one the head.
  12. smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
  13. beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    It's tough to gear up for a "infantry" battle without adopting similiar firepower. At a minimum, a hi-cap is a must. 9mm is fine w/me.

Some guys are going to claim they are going to break out a freedom arms .22lr, but let's face it, you want to stack the deck in your favor.
  14. jordankaden

May 16, 2010
    Central, FL
    I carry a G20.... I also stagger FMJ and hollow points.....In past training we practiced two to the chest and one to the head.... makes sure they are good and dead, but practice is not in any way reality... especially when there are several screaming people running around, between you and the suspect... a lot of "what if's".......
  15. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I don't know about staggering them in a handgun. Pump shotgun, yes. But 180 GD primary, 200 XTP secondary, and 200 FMJ last ditch for me.
  16. Glock_9mm

Jul 10, 2012
    I think the only thing that I will change is where I sit in the theater. By the aisle, more than half way up. I pray that there are no copycats.
  17. dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    5. No changes required.
  18. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I'm not changing anything and if faced with this scenario, I'll do my best to stay alive.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  19. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Well he might have been armored up but correct me if I'm wrong LEO's getting hits on the vest does hurt quite alot and or breaks ribs etc. It may not kill but if it stops the fight long enough to put one in the head or disarm the perp! I guess the only change maybe more ammo?:whistling:
  20. I am gonna step up to a .40. I just dont feel comfortable with my .380 anymore.