close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Accuracy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Chimes117, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Chimes117

Chimes117

I recently bought a Gen 3 G17 and I got to shoot it for the first time today. I am having trouble with shooting consistent groups with it from about 20 ft. For instance my first shot is almost dead center, second is about 3 1/2 in to the left, third shot 2 in down 1 in left, fourth is 2 1/2 in low, fifth 2 1/2 in left, ect. To the best of my ability I am aiming at the exact same spot. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have rifles and from the exact same distance I could put all my shots in a 1 in group. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Could be a whole bunch of things. Any Glock will group better than that.

First, make sure your trigger finger isn't pushing against the side of the trigger or frame. This will push the gun left.

The most likely problem: You aren't focusing on the front sight. I'm not talking about vaguely seeing the front sight. I'm talking about focus intent enough to see the scratches. If there aren't any scratches, make some. Seriously, you MUST focus on the front sight.

Grip needs to be consistent. There are two basic methods: weak thumb over strong thumb and both thumbs forward. Google for video examples. I prefer the weak thumb over strong thumb but the 'go fast' gunners prefer both thumbs forward.

When I started shooting .45s, the thought was that if you had wood grip panels, the hand grip should be sufficient that you wound up with sawdust at your feet. When I find my grip getting loose, I also find my high speed shooting spreads out - a lot.

I'm betting on front sight focus...

Richard

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There is a learning curve associated with the unique Glock trigger and lightweight polymer frame, and it is common for shooters new to Glocks to shoot low/left if they are right handed. The cure is practice.

5. viper144

viper144

Learn to apply slight pressure to the left side of the gun with the support hand thumb. ...if you are right hand shooter. Fixed me. A GSSF range officer suggested this to me last year a one of the matches. Worked

6. Chimes117

Chimes117

Thanks. I will try all these things

7. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

And use just the first pad of your index finger on the trigger. It's a "trigger press", not a trigger "pull".

8. DannyII

DannyII

Learn to use the reset, Luke. - Yoda

Also, use some snap caps to see if you are flinching/anticipating the recoil.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

What you are doing is not holding the gun on target with sights properly aligned while you pull the trigger.

The one thing I want to strongly suggest for someone learning to shoot is to sit down at a sturdy bench with some sandbags to rest the gun on while you slowly shoot.

That is where you can apply the basic building blocks of sight alignment, holding your sights on target, controlling your breathing and other extraneous movements, and slowly and consistantly pulling the trigger without moving the sights.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Keep getting more experience.

Hold the target centered on your chest.. How's your accuracy now?

11. Toby196

Toby196 Fetching a rug.

That's a refreshing way of looking at the situation. :supergrin:

I know if I'm unfortunate enough to have to be shooting a bad-guy, and my bullets are striking an inch or two off from his sternum, I wouldn't be too hard on myself. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  12. DannyII

DannyII

I use that technique on new shooters. We look at their target, and they always frown and complain that the group is too big. I turn it over so all they can see are the holes and not the bullseye, and hold it up to my chest and say, "I wouldn't want you shooting at me."

They always grin really big, and are ready for more shooting. :supergrin:

It's a real confidence booster.

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Whoa! There's a lot of good straight-shooting advice in this thread. So, in addition to watching your front sight more carefully, (Just like you do as you take that first shot.) and working on straightening out that trigger pull - Which I am sure you are allowing to turn the muzzle to one side - I'm going to also suggest that you learn how to better control the muzzle by being more aware of how the pistol's backstrap fits into your gun hand.

It is impossible to drop the muzzle if - IF - you maintain strong upward pressure on the pistol's backstrap. That advice to push, a little bit, against the side of the frame with your support thumb is also another good straight-shooting tip that you should work into your practice sessions. ('A little' side pressure is the key!)

I've been shooting pistols for more than half a century. Know what? I still use snap caps, just about, every single day! (Sometimes more) I've, also, found that I shoot better if I begin each practice session with a magazine full of snap caps, first. (Occasionally someone will look at me with a, sort of, puzzled look; others will smile; but when I start shooting they begin to understand, 'Why'.)

Here's a couple of pistol handling exercises I think you'll get a lot out of: (1) With a magazine full of A-Zoom snap caps (10 will be fine!) grasp the pistol firmly by its front and back straps. When you do this be sure to keep the pistol's back strap off the base of your thumb, and aligned along the heel of your gun hand.

(2) Now apply pressure to that spot along the backstrap where, every time you press it, the muzzle of the pistol will rise. Do this repeatedly: squeeze, lift the muzzle, relax your hand pressure, and allow the muzzle to return to level. This is how to use a pistol's backstrap in order to control the entire pistol.

(3) So, what's left to throw off your aim? That would be the way you pull, or attempt to pull, the trigger. Handgun triggers seem to behave better and are easier to control if you learn how to briefly, 'press' them rather than to maintain prolonged trigger pressure (and make your trigger finger too sore) by trying to pull them, instead.

(4) Learn how to watch THE VERY TOP of the front sight while you're, 'pressing' (or, on rapid fire, 'tapping') the trigger. If you see the top of the front sight slipping slightly to the left as you press the trigger, there's your problem! Go over these fundamentals again and straighten out your trigger pull. (One way to do this is to apply slight support thumb pressure to the side of the pistol's frame.)

(5) With a Glock, learn how to hold the trigger back after each shot and, then, only allow it to come forward enough to, 'click' into its reset position. When you're repeatedly firing a Glock, you always want to use the trigger's reset position for the next subsequent shot. (The sear tab doesn't catch the striker lug quite as far up; and each subsequent shot will go off a lot easier.)

(6) After you get the above details, 'down pat' it will be time to work on how to best control your: wrists, elbows, and shoulders. I have always done my best pistol shooting when I, 'anchor' the pistol all the way back to my shoulders. When I do this I have the sensation that my entire upper body is like a, 'triangulated rifle stock' with the pistol held at the vertex.

I don't care if your overall stance is Weaver, Chapman, Isosceles, or the new, 'Reverse Weaver' stance that DR Middlebrooks likes to use. The important thing is to learn how to allow the stress of recoil to flex through your wrists, to your elbows, and (finally) across the top of your shoulders where it should dissipate.

I hope you're not dismayed by everyone's great advice. None of this is as hard to accomplish as it might, at first, seem. Go slow, constantly review the basics, frequently practice with snap caps, and you'll be fine.

(Another thing you can do might sound, 'mean'; but you will learn a whole lot from it. Next time you're at a public shooting range, stand to one side of the line while you watch members of the general public shooting their pistols. It won't be too long before you have an encyclopedia in your head of all the amazing things people do incredibly wrong while they're trying to shoot a pistol - Never ceases to amaze me!)

14. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

YES
    Sonny

the best video, IMO..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntB1pFyp3Pc"]What a shooter should see - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  15. Chimes117

Chimes117

I really appreciate this. I will try this tomorrow when I shoot and let you know how it goes