close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Accuracy with reloads (10mm and 45acp)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cdurand, Mar 28, 2013.

1. cdurand

cdurand NRA Member

Jul 10, 2002
    San Jose, California
    Hey guys,

I'm experiecing something with my Glocks and my reloads. I want to see if this is normal or not.

I reload 10mm. Nothing super crazy. Standard loads from the manual. Not over powered.

If I shoot the 10mm in my Smith and Wesson 1006 it shoots fine. Nice and accurate. No surprises.

When I should shoot my 10mm reloads in my Glock Model 20 the accuracy is terrible. And really inconsistent. The shots would go all over the place.

However, I bought an aftermarket barrel for my Glock 20 (Lone Wolf) and now my reloads shoot great.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this before?

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    All guns are diff, factory or handloads. You didn't give any loads specs, but it's not uncommon for a gun to hate one ammo vs another.

3. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    What Fred said. +1

4. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    A reload set of parameter that results in sub-MOA in one rifle can give worse result in another rifle of the same model. But that's the world of precision rifle. It just says that no two guns are exactly the same, even the same model.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland

One question -

Lead bullets used in the reloads????

I too, echo what Fred said.

6. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    Did you also install a heavier recoil spring along with the LW barrel? Sometimes a light spring can cause havoc in a semi-auto pistol. Or maybe it's just like Fred said...

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Sums it up succinctly.

8. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

Jun 27, 2006
    Texas
    What bullets are being used? Lead, FMJ? My money is on lead bullets.

I have shot 10,000+ of my lead reloads down the stock barrels of my G23 & G27, they are just as accurate as factory ammo.

Different guns will "like" different loads, each one can be different. Load up some different rounds & see what load your Glock likes the best.

9. cdurand

cdurand NRA Member

Jul 10, 2002
    San Jose, California
    FMJ bullets guys. I've never shot lead.

It's a few different loads. I shoot my 10mm reloads in my Smith Wesson 1006 and they shoot great. But the Glock 20 with the stock barrel doesn't like them. I bought a Lone Wolf barrel and it shoots great. Same for my Glock 21. Shoots better with my non-Glock barrel.

Just curious if anyone has seen this before. I reload 357Sig and that shoots just fine in my Glock 31 with the Glock barrel.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    You need to give us something to go on. What group size are you getting with the Glock barrel vs the LW and SW barrels?

Since you have been asked to give load information and haven't it is pretty hard to give you an answer. In general terms, I haven't seen a situation where a load shoots terribly in one gun but great in two others. While rifles can be picky, generally speaking, a given handgun will shoot any reasonable load about the same as any other reasonable load.

When you try to put a real fine point on pistol accuracy, a load can make a small difference. So, if a gun shoots a load into 2" at 50 yards, pretty much any other load will shoot within 3". That small difference is a big deal for people who need to shoot into 2" at 50 yards.

But, Glocks are shot into 4" groups at 25 yards, and only then by skilled shooters. Most Glocks are banging away into 6" at 15 yards. When you're talking about that kind of shooting, the load, or barrel shouldn't much matter.

11. cdurand

cdurand NRA Member

Jul 10, 2002
    San Jose, California
    That's just it. I can shoot 6 inches at 25 yards.. unless I'm shooting my reloads through the Glock barrel. Then accuracy goes straight out the window. I'm lucky if I can keep them inside of 24 inches I'd guess. I don't measure my groups but the difference is significant.

I'll see about taking some pics and measuring different groups. What's a standard distance for this sort of thing? 25 yards?

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    When you say "FMJ" bullets, any chance that they are actually plated bullets like Berry's or Rainier? Those can give fits if not treated with kid gloves.

13. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 13, 1999
    Central Illinois
    There may be something wrong with that barrel too. It may have been dropped on the muzzle and have a damaged crown, etc.

How does the factory Glock barrel shoot with other (factory) ammo?

I expect 3" groups at 25 yards from all my Glocks and routinely get it - all with stock barrels. Glock 45 barrels are some of the most-accurate barrels you can get.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My guess would be that you're shooting standard fodder down an over-sized Glock bore.

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    We don't know his load because he won't tell us what it is. He's been asked a few times already. This thread is getting silly at this point.