close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Academy shopping is fun!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KiloBravo, Oct 14, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

It is fun, but I think it is more stressful than any other part of the hiring process! haha

It is quite a bit of money to front for all of the required gear, but I feel it is a very small investment for my dream career for the next 30 years. I will more than make back everything that I have to spend with my first paycheck. Thank goodness that I had some of the items already, so that is saving me a few bucks. I am also very happy that the really expensive stuff like duty leather, firearm, vest, etc. are all provided to me when I get there.

My shopping list is getting smaller though! Just a few items left to go. :supergrin:

2. At your stay-away-academy, you don't plan on wearing thongs or going "commando," do you?

Wife-beater T-shirts would be nice.

You guys don't get an annual uniform/equipment $allowance$?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

The only "thongs" that I will be taking along are shower flip flops! :tongueout: I am also taking the required white crew neck pocketless t-shirts, and not wife beaters.

Troopers get an annual uniform allowance. Pee-on Cadets just starting out in the academy are required to buy a specific list of gear to take with them for their stay during training. :embarassed:

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

State Police Academy

5. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    So...you're going thru their academy, on their dime, with them paying you, but you have to buy all your own equipment to do so? Sounds kinda bass-ackwards, but what do I know? Good luck either way, keep your nose clean!

6. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

You have it right. No complaints what so every from me though. I am happy to have been selected. They are providing the expensive stuff though, so I am very happy about that. :cool:

7. At least you don't have to pay for the academy, the gear, all the tests, etc...

I'm getting to drop a big chunk of change on recert in a month.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

That is true. I feel very fortunate to have as much provided as I already have. I am not complaining one bit.

9. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Yeah, same boat here. Gotta love the MI job market and the fact that MCOLES only gives you a year to find a job when most hiring processes can take 6 to 9 months easily.

10. Best Wishes on the First Day of the rest of your life. May it be long and be exactly what you wanted. I should have gone FT years ago in lieu of getting stranded in private industry and just going Aux./Reserve. I enjoy every hour I get to put in.

11. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Thank you for what you do! :wavey:

The reserves and part time guys put just as much on the line every shift as the full timers do.

12. We get our allowance check in December. My academy was July to end of January, and IIRC, we got our allowance checks that December, while still in the academy.

13. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

That might be how it works out for us too. I just don't know it yet. I guess I shall see soon enough. :cool:

14. WOW...Brings back memories....A powder blue shirt, navy blue pants, black shoes, a blue tie and a 1960's era black "school bag" to lug all of my required text back and forth from home...:rofl:...Mine was from January to July and had to wait until December to get the allowance $$$$$...

15. Ajon, was this when the allowance was still being paid out in a separate check?

If it was, I'm just going to assume you told your wife all about the allowance money. :supergrin:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  16. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT......:whistling::whistling:...Yes, it was a separate check until, IIRC, the late 80's when THEY decided to include it in your regular pay and it was taxed to the hilt....:steamed:...It was all down hill from there.....

17. I thought you were working?

18. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Not yet. I'm on a bunch of lists, and had an offer, but that got recinded with the quickness. I'm in the running for a job out of state which doesn't look bad, but no real job so far.

I still crack up when I talk to people about the academy and they complain about the cost, and all I can think is, "just wait til they hit you with uniforms, vehicle rental fees, weapon rental fees, make you pay for your own tests, etc." :whistling:

19. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Guys...I did not mean for my original post to come off as a complaint. If some folks took it that way, I apologize. I am super fortunate to have received this offer, and blessed to have as much paid for as I do.