close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Abs of steel

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mikey177, Sep 27, 2004.

1. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    How do you develop abdominal muscles? Okay, so maybe abs of steel is a bit too high a mark right now, but how do I at least firm up my stomach area so I don't get too embarassed when I put on a pair of trunks :)

Any exercises or links to proven, doable workout techniques will be greatly appreciated.

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    i used to have them...but didn't we all at one time or another?:cool:

i'm also trying to bring it back, but you see, as years go buy, our metabolism slows down which leads to fat deposits on certain areas, and the tummy is one of the most prone to this.

though i have to show some results myself, i have seen people who developed their abs doing cardio exercises and avoiding........rice!;P

i use to play basketball with a guy in his early forty's. he had washboard abs, when asked what's his secret. he replied basketball and diet..no sugar, no rice, no oil;)

now if also want the feel of steel and not just the look, incorporate sit-ups, crunches, leg-raises in your cardio work-out. 1 hr cardio, 30 minutes ab work out..or:

take up jujitsu or triathlon or yoga but whatever it is...eliminate rice! go for the kamote/itlog (whites) diet!;z

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    9MX,

I have to wonder... is it rice per se that is the culprit here, or could it be the oily foods that we eat along with rice? I look at the Japanese and the Vietnamese who also eat rice as a staple food, and they don't seem to get fuller at the belly. But I'll give it a try... and hirap lang kasi i-resist yung cooking ng biyenan ko, sarap :)

Also, I do sit-ups, but I don't know how many reps or how frequently I should do them. Now at least I have a goal, 30 minutes of ab work or until I pass out, whichever comes first ;Q

4. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Pards,pinaka mahirap at pimaka mabagal yan
    I bust my ass everyday sa training pero malaki pa rin chan ko hehehe
    But it used to be 37 now it's 34 na
    Hindi pwede situps lang ( hurts the back pa), I can do 200 reps pero all that ab muscles are still hidden beneath the bilibil
    You've got to make tunaw the bilbil with aerobic exercise
    Exercise na you will enjoy like badminton , tennis etc that you can do for at least an hour and a half
    Personally, pinaka effective sakin is running ( 10kms , 4x a week ) of course I still swim a kilometer a day also ( pero malaki pa rin chan ko waaah)
    Avoid rice bread ( lahat ng may starch ), at sugar ( softdrinks ).
    Drink lots of water,eat your veggies and avoid bad fats
    Para bumilis metabolism, do 2hrs of your prefered aerobic exercise before breakfast
    Sigurado ubos taba mo

Ako, tumigil nalang ako katitingin sa salamin

5. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Yes, I know its going to be difficult to burn those fatty tissues, but it isn't impossible. As mc_o says in his sigline, "Rid your mind of CAN'T." :)

6. Get an "Abdomenizer" (that blue plastic thing that you lie on). It helps to do situps properly. Otherwise you might be just building up your thighs. Don't know where they are sold now - try the sports stores. They work pretty well. Not expensive.

7. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Kain ka ng sobrang madami, kita mo titigas ang tyan mo. ;f

8. bass one

bass one

Oct 2, 2003
    Singapore
    Allegra is right in all aspects. Sit-ups won't do it. It will only hurt your back. Crunches are much better especially after a strenuous exercise so as to loosen those fatty deposits first.

I am also doing my best to "redefine" my abs but I never practice dieting. It's against my religion.;f

9. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

Dec 7, 2002
    on the road again
    eat lugaw (rice porridge) at least once a day,skip sodas,exercise regularly,don't sit forever at work! BTW,you'll be surprised how many hours you spend sitting in a day!

10. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Thanks for the input, guys, but I think I like batangueno's suggestion the best... at least it made me laugh the hardest :)

11. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

12. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA

Jan 24, 2003
    C®OK COUNTY, IL
    pambihira.....di six pack ang kalalabasan ng abs mo kundi keg or barrel ;a

13. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Feb 21, 2002
    Philippines
    Mikey, mey balak ka ba'ng mag model? Kung wala, beach shorts na lang instead of trunks. ;f

Seriously, crunches are good and there are lots of variations to be able to hit all the abs muscle groups. They work great in defining the cuts but you probably need to have close to zero % body fat for them to be visible. Baka pede mo ma-achieve yan sa jogging and a strict food diet.

Personally, the concept looked good nung college pa ako. The time when GF's and porma mattered. Haay, ngayon, ang sarap kumain at uminom. And GF's doesn't seem to be a problem kung mey datung ka. Fortunately for my wife, ubos datung ko sa bisyo ng baril. ;f;f

14. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    mc_o, no, starting a modelling career isn't in my "To-Do" list. I just feel that a smaller tummy will help me conceal a handgun better when I carry IWB. Plus, I feel the holster and gun will leave less impressions on my skin if I'm a bit slimmer :)

15. "I just feel that a smaller tummy will help me conceal a handgun better when I carry IWB."

Yes, that's one way to carry. But...(or "butt") if you just fatten-up your ass - very easy to do - then you can carry in your crack.

16. ogiebb

ogiebb

Oct 21, 2003
    MESA, ARIZONA

kapag kasing tigas na ng forehead ko ang tiyan ko..dun lang ako titigil kumain;f ;f .....dati may mga pandesal ako sa tiyan ngayon MOnay na...

17. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    This is a very old thread pero.....Yahooo!! Wala nako beer belly!!
    Credit goes to running
    Ang lakas makapayat talga, I have to eat a lot more kahit taba at pastries or else nagmumuka nako addik.
    Interestingly, I've lost a lot of fat pero my weight is still the same at 200lbs. ( and kulay uling na rin ako :))

Hey, Mikey, kamusta , how did you do pards?

18. zorkd

zorkd

Sep 2, 2004
    .ph
    i haven't touched rice in like over a month, still no change though, still 212 lbs.

sugar is harder to wean away from, at least for me.

rice i did cold turkey.

oh yeah, you can actually have well formed abs, if you train for them, but it doesn't show because of the layer of fat over it.

19. "Interestingly, I've lost a lot of fat pero my weight is still the same at 200lbs."

To the extent that fat is replaced by muscle , weight might even increase, because muscle is of course more dense than fat. In the days when I used to go to a gym, my trainer used to tell me not to be concerned about weight, just to remove body fat. If a person is really obese, the removal of EXCESS body fat will produce a reduction in weight. If a person is not obese, the muscle-building effect of exercise might increase weight.

Good luck, guys. If you can keep it up for a year, bilib ako sa iyo.

20. Yup tiyak na kasing tigas at tambok ng balugbog ng pagong ang tiyan mo;f ;a