close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

About water... is this correct?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by UneasyRider, Aug 19, 2011.

1. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    I have been asked to explain prepping to non preppers on a blog item by item. While there are many people who could do a better job at this I agreed and would like to give accurate information so could you please take a look at this and offer your comments pro and con. TIA.

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Tagged. No snow banks, wells, or lakes in los angeles... But I bought tons of water, bottles and jugs.

3. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Jan 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    Got a water heater? There is 40+ gallons. Also I THINK it was in Emergency Essentials where I saw a plastic bladder that goes into a bathtub and can hold, and dispense, 40-50 gallons without leaking out. There is 80+ gallons for the price of a cheap plastic bladder. Not a bad place to start.

4. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Water was our main concern when we bought the bol,as you've seen we "think" we got it right.'08.

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Sep 11, 2005
    Four Corners
    There's a garden hose fitting at the bottom.

6. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    If you don't drain the silt out of the bottom of the heater 1-2x per year, expect the first gallon or two to be undrinkable, but good for flushing a toilet.

Draining the silt out of the bottom of the heater 1-2x per year helps water heater last longer.

7. kirgi08

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    I wouldn't consider water heater h2o as potable,flush yes.'08.

8. Would you use hot water from the tap?

9. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Perhaps I missed it, but did you cite how much water to allocate per person, per day?

10. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Just one other comment. It seems when people are considering food choices for short-term emergencies, some focus almost exclusively on MREs, or dehydrated foods (e.g., Mountain House).

While I would say that either choice is only a short-term solution (e.g., I'd rather have pounds of rice, beans, MREs, dehydrated foods, canned veggies, canned meats, ....), I would say it's important to point out that dehydrated meals obviously require water...which will need to be figured into your water supply plan.

11. kirgi08

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    My system yes,we don't have a conventional water heater.'08.

12. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I represented a commercial bottled water company.

1. never use a recycled large plastic or glass water bottle. People store PCP, gasoline and other substances therein. Think about how you would get those substances out -
    2. the plastic used in water containers purchased off the shelf in grocery stores is not the plastic that you want to have your water stored in long term. Hint - this is why a blue plastic water container bought at Walmart or a sporting goods store is going to be more than buying some 1 gallon Albertson containers with water in them already.
    3. consider constructing a solar water distillation unit. My handyman said that he took me lens and was building the frame in his garage. I may get it before shtf.

13. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    As others have said people who live in a house have more water than they think:
    - Water heater and the water in the pipes that drain into it
    - Ice in the refrigerator
    - Bottled water
    - Fruit juices
    - Gatorade
    - Soda
    If you have advance warning you could:
    - fill up tubs
    - fill up pots
    - fill up all other storage

14. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Thanks, food is topic number two. I am going to write one each week for them. I started with water because it is so innocuolus and this is for non preppers.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  15. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD

Mar 3, 2010
    I've filled a few large bottles of water and keep them in the freezer as, 1. ice packs for any electrical disruption and, 2. drinkable/usable water.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Everybody should have, at minimum, a few gallons of drinking water per person specifically put back.

I have 14 Aquatainers in addition to the usual stuff you can find around a house. I wish we had more room and a basement but this is a good start. I also keep about 5 gallons in our primary vehicle (scepter container).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  17. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

Well done! :goodpost:

18. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Calcium Hypochlorite is cheap, and has a loooooong shelf life. Anyone can buy a few bags at a pool supply store and store them in the buckets, with lids, that they will be using to make the bleach to purify their other water sources. I spent $10 for a 2.5 gallon bucket, a 5 gallon bucket, a lid, and a couple bags of the solid bleach granules.

A pic of how you store them, please? I have a few, and they dont stack as well as advertised...

19. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Thanks.