close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ability to hold high up for follow up shots

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Steeler58, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Steeler58

Steeler58
    Expand Collapse

Mas

I would appreciate your educated opinion on being able to hold the semi auto high up toward the slide- obviously each gun is enabled or not by its design. Do you find follow up shots easier to control given proper training. I enjoy the heck out of my p229, but the glocks really enable this and honestly i do see a slight difference.

thanks- jim

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

Steeler, most every professional today will recommend a high-hand grasp on any auto pistol. This brings the bore axis lower toward the hand, reducing muzzle jump. It also minimizes dissipation of recoil force through the frame and into the hand, and thus away from the slide, which is where it is needed for reliable cycling. Finally, most autos were designed to be held this way when the trigger is pressed straight to the rear, and when the trigger is pressed with too low a grasp, it tends to pull the muzzle -- and therefore the shot -- downward.

I recommend a hold high enough that the web of the hand is pressed firmly up against the underside of the grip tang.

best,
    Mas