close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AA conversion or new gun

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ftlaudglock, May 1, 2012.

1. ftlaudglock

ftlaudglock

This is my first post. I love this site. Been trolling for awhile and need advice. I searched and didn't find alot so be gentle on the search comments. I am not new to forums. I currently have a G19 and G26 gen 4. Going to definitely add a G17 gen 4 as well in the near future.

I have gone to the range lately (twice/month now) and usually shoot 200-300 rounds. I was able to get my girl to go and she did not like the recoil. This was her second time at the range and she was still nervous. She took a few shots on each glock and put the guns down and stepped back. I was able to get her to shoot my Taurus 809 though. She shot two magazines worth without stopping. Now I know people hate Taurus, but it was my first gun and truthfully I still like it. Definitely has less recoil and feels great in my hands. Not posh by any means, but looks good and goes bang. Anyways after range visit I was thinking of getting a .22LR semi auto pistol for her to shoot. I figure with time she will get over the recoil (not much with a .22LR) and learn proper technique. When she doesn't go I will use it as well. :supergrin: It gets expensive to shoot 2-300 each time plus range fees and targets.

Long story short: Should I get a conversion kit for G19 or get another gun. I am personally leaning toward a new gun. I see the benefit to shoot with only the G19, but the conversion kit is almost the same price as a new gun. I do not want a Mark series. I like the tactical look. I am going to a show this weekend and my top choices are:

1. M&P 22 - top choice; like the M&P line - has threaded barrell - a rebadged better P22
    2. ISSC - glock knock off with decocker/hammer - still researching - seems ok and cheap
    3. SR 22 - reading about issues on take down pin area breaking
    4. Not a Sig fan - Misquito (out) - jams alot

So what is everyone's take? I read that everyone needs a .22 pistol so that is why I was leaning towards a new gun. Also like that I can go and shoot a ton and not break the bank. Figure 100 rounds through the Glocks will be enough each time. I am already very accurate with them and feel super comfortable and confident. Options!!!...feel free to throw out others that have a tactical look...Appreciate the feedback.

2. DannyII

DannyII

I have the AA kit for my Gen3 19, and my wife has now officially claimed that set-up as her own. My mistake was putting on the extended mag release, and slide lock lever for her. That was it. It was hers.

She's still recoil shy with the 9mm, but will shoot the 19/.22 all day long. She's gone through 600+ rounds in the last two range sessions. It's very accurate, too. I built a full size practice GSSF match with all three stages, and she was keeping the hits in the A/B zone for all shots, even on the 25 yard 5-To-Glock target!

She likes that the setup is full sized for gripping, but only 14 ounces. She also really likes the standard Glock adjustable sight picture. Put the dot in the bucket, press the trigger, pop! She's even learned that the Glock trigger reset increases her accuracy and speed.

My AA kit likes the Rem. GB 36 grains just fine, and they're only $20 for 525 rounds. You still get an occassional FTF due primarily to primer issues(about 4-5 per 525 round box), but because of that she's learned the hangfire technique, and how to clear a malfunction.

I say since you already have the 19, get the AA kit for that gun. I have the kit for my 26, but never use it. Just be prepared to kiss it goodbye.

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

If you are trying to get her into the Glock, get a conversion kit.
    If you are trying to get her into shooting, go with a Buckmark or a Ruger Mk II/III.

I have an AA kit, but am looking for a Buckmark at a discounted price.:whistling:

4. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Agree with Bama. My girl (9) did not like the trigger pull on the Walther or Sig and no one had the new Ruger. The gun was lightweight, but the triggers were meh.

We ended up with a Mark III 22/45 (she liked that grip better than the traditional). Both my girls can shoot it with hand support pretty accurate out to 20 feet. That equals a good time for her.

I have the AA kit for me that I use on my 23. My girls have shot it a few times, but they go back to the Ruger with the easier trigger pull.

5. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Have to agree with the second gun theory. My daughter never shot before. Gave her appropriate instruction, let her fire my G23 with 9mm conversion, she hated it, said her wrists hurt. Set her up with my Buckmark, second target from 20 feet she put 10 rounds in the bullseye. Turns to me and says "is that good daddy?"

One gun breaks, I've got another one (until she can swipe "her Buckmark" without me catching her).

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Id say AA kit or M&P 22

:50cal:

7. bolling

bolling

Sounds like she likes the Taurus 809 and you already have that.
    As far as 22's go I have both the Ruger Mark III and the BuchMark Field 5.5 and both are fantastic pistols. Have her handle each one and see which one she likes. Ruger has a new MarkIII lite which really looks great.

8. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

I can only say what I would do but, that would be to go with the AA kit. In fact, it is what I have done and I have not regrets. If you want another gun, the M&P is not a bad choice. I went with the AA and my good buddy went with the M&P. Every time we switch over and start shooting 22, he is green with envy. I really like my Glock so being able to make it shoot much cheaper ammo with less recoil was a no brainer. I'm a "beware of the man with one gun for he knows how to use it" kind of person. I value using the same platform and becoming proficient at it. That's just me and that's why I went with the AA kit. You'll have to decide if that fits what you want.

As for being picky with what ammo it likes, I shoot MiniMags and Rem Golds and have had no problems. The only problems I've had is running out of time in the day to shoot.

D

9. allegro

allegro

All I can add is that I LOVE my AA kit, and it has gotten me back to shooting 100's of rounds each time I go out.

I cannot attest to what your girl would like best, but for the money, and the added use of consistant trigger-pull and ergonomics, the AA kit is a great additional tool for us Glock lovers.

10. blasterak

blasterak

I'd personally go for the AA kit, especially if you are looking to get her in a Glock. I picked one up a few weeks ago used, put another 500 rds through it and works great(with Rem. golden bullets). Sure saves me some $$ and helps me me with training as far as trigger control and gripping goes. Well worth the $200 it cost me.

11. mindlogiczero

mindlogiczero

i personally prefer walther p22's and ruger sr22's.

12. allegro

allegro

Both are quality weapons, lots of fun etc, but especially the Ruger is a rediculous trigger. Not at all a training tool, especially for carrying a Glock