close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A WATCH!!! Suggestions??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HOTHEAD, Aug 10, 2012.

1. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

I am not a watch guy per say, but my wife bought me one a few years back, and I have worn it everyday and become accustom to it. It is now beat up pretty bad, and its time for a new one.

I realize that there are so many choices/styles/price ranges, so lets go with what I know and a set budget.

Here is my old watch
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL5295-55E-Eco-Drive-Ion-Plated-Chronograph/dp/B000ZPQS0G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t"]Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BL5295-55E Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar Black Ion-Plated Chronograph Watch: Citizen: Watches@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c9wQk7QOL.@@AMEPARAM@@51c9wQk7QOL[/ame]

Pros:
    1. I like that it is a heavy feeling watch (metal band)
    2. I like that it never needs battery's (and keeps good time)
    3. I like that it looks good casual and dress
    4. I like that it has glow in the dark and alarm
    5. Waterproof

Cons:
    1. It is not very durable.
    I am basically a maintenance guy. I wear my watch all day every day working on machines. I have beat the hell out of the bezel and glass.
    2. I wish the alarm was a little louder
    3. I wish it was brighter/ or had an independent light for dark areas.

So basically, I am looking for a metal band, chronograph, divers watch, that is BULLETPROOF, but also looks good for dress and casual. It can also be worn 24/7/365, and never needs battery's or winding..... thats all:embarassed:
    All for say like $500-$1000

Any suggeations??

Thanks & Regards
    HOTHEAD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Roger1079

Roger1079

With personal experience, I can meet every one of your requirements except price and the alarm. I bought a Breitling SuperOcean Chrono a few years back and choked at the near $4000 pricetag when handing over my credit card, but have forgotten all my regrets. I wear it every day and have accidentally smacked it on steel I beams, dropped it on rough ground, and dragged it across things. Some of which I expected the case to be damaged or the crystal to be cracked. Aside from a small ding in the bezel, the watch is completely unscathed. It is by far the most durable watch I have ever owned.

My choice to buy it was also influnced by the fact that I have a small wrist and the 42mm measurement was perfect. (The new model of my watch is 44mm). It is also water resistant to 500M/1650FT and has an automatic movement as you requested. If you can bring yourself to drop that kind of cash, I can assure you it will be the last watch you ever need to buy.

A general reference pic of it is below:

[​IMG]

If you are interested in more pics/info let me know.

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Marathon GSAR has tritium vials, automatic and is bullet proof, but no chrono, if you want chrono you have to step up the investment.

My all time watch is my Omega Seamaster Chrono.

4. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

I realize, and have considered, dropping some good coin on a watch. My biggest fear is that I will indeed beat the hell out of it. It's not so much that I would mind spending the $, as much as if I did spend it, and after a year it was beat to hell, I would be pissed. Can a high end watch really hold up to the reaching in and out of machinery all day??
    [​IMG]

5. Roger1079

Roger1079

Give me a few minutes and I will post some pictures of mine after 3years of abuse.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

For under a grand, you're not going to get a mechanical chronograph with alarm. 7750-based watches start around a grand.

If I were you, I'd build my own out of a Seiko or Citizen base--there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for both. But I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

7. Roger1079

Roger1079

This watch is roughly 3 years old. I am a network admin however I do have to do the dirty work of running cables and such so I am constantly above ceiling tiles with pipes, steel beams, etc. My only complaint is that the bracelet scratches easily (much more easily than the case). The case of the watch below has never been repolished however the bracelet has been polished twice only to start showintg scuff marks almost immediately. That is my only complaint.

Both of my Breitlings. The one on the right is a Navitimer World that i wear with my suit. The one to the left is my every day watch. The bracelet is next to it.

[​IMG]

Close up of the bracelet after a month or so since polishing and with daily use. I finally got tired of the scuffs and use the rubber strap daily now.

[​IMG]

Watch face.....You can actually see the ding in the bezel slightly above the number 50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here you can see the ding. I took the best picture possible with my phone. Directly to the right of the center screw in the bezel is where the ding is. Looking at the pictures, this is not bad wear for 3 years of use. THe crystal has no scratches at all and has definitely been smacked and scraped against things.

[​IMG]

I'm sure I sound like a Breitling salesman here, but at least check them out. I doubt you will regret it.

8. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

TIMEX:takes alickin' and keeps on tickin!

9. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

The Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 2100.
    http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

[​IMG]
    It's heavy, doesn't need battery changing (runs on light) has an alarm, chronograph, water-resistant to 200 meters, and some of the brightest lumes I've ever seen on a watch. You can find them easily for under $500. If you pay more than that for one, you got ripped off.

I'd be careful, though- all this talk of beating hell out of it- the crystal protrudes about 1/16th of an inch above the case, so you might exercise a bit of care with it.

10. itstime

itstime

If you go with the citizen like the calibre 2100 get one with a sapphire crystal. Their minerals scratch easily.

I suggest posing this on Tomezone or Watchuseek.

Or go through their private sales corners. There are a ton of little companies putting out great products that you would never here about.

11. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Not at all. If your willing to go out of your way to take pics, and comment on their quality, then I certainly will do some reading about them.

12. KusoJijii

KusoJijii alegacy of fear

I find this intriguing. Do you know of websites containing how-to instructions for this type of thing?

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I like Breitling and have a couple. I wouldn't hesitate to get one for what you're looking to do.

There's a reason concrete workers gravitate towards silly high end watches if they want to wear a watch. They last even with all the garbage they get put through and get the snot beat out of.

Sapphire crystal and stainless bracelet is the minimum you're looking for.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Whole forums, yeah. Check out watchuseek for a start.

15. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Bought this last night.

[​IMG]

16. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Thank you, at least now I have an idea of where to start.

What about this? It's sapphire, stainless, and $1400 vs 4k
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00378V5YC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p241_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=15QXKENPDJYSYS8CZH7C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: TAG Heuer Men's CAN1011BA0821 Aquaracer Blue Dial Watch: Tag Heuer: Watches@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T3ZsSp1-L.@@AMEPARAM@@41T3ZsSp1-L[/ame]

17. harlenm

The watch I posted above has a sapphire crystal and a stainless band.

18. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

After looking up the one I own, it is listed as stainless with a "mineral" face. Do you mind if I ask what you have in to yours, or just the model # and I can look them up.

HOTHEAD

19. Zagato

Zagato

take a look at a Marathon CSAR. Might be a little bigger and heavier than what youre after, but are bomb proof. Used they can be had for 1500 or so.

20. harlenm