close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A small maybe biased perspective on the military branches.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ruggles, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ruggles

Ruggles

First just a simple FUN observation, no offense meant!

So today my company took some sandwich trays to the local recruiting offices of all four branches. In celebration of Veterans Day and to show general thanks for all they do.

Just two of us went. We went left to right in the string of offices as we delivered.

First up was the Army. A soldier was in the office alone. He stood and made eye contact as we explained why we were there. He thanked us exchanged hand shakes and a few words. He was polite and seemed like he seemed to really appreciated the food.

Next up the Navy. Two CPOs were in the office. Both were sitting and remained seated during pretty much the same conversation as I had with the Army. I kinda got the feeling they could care less we were there.

Next up the Air Force....well except the office was closed. To be fair it was only 10:30 am so they might have still been in the rack :tongueout:

Last up the Marine Corps. Two Marine were both sitting at desk. One Marine (E6) was speaking to a young man (recruit?) seated at the rear of the room. The other Marine (E5) quickly stood up and stood at parade rest while speaking to us. He used yes sir and thank you sir during our conversation. He seemed really engaged with us. I explained to them that they were getting two trays since the Air Force was not there. I told them that of they wanted they could give it to the Air Force when they got back to the office, the E6 said they would arm wrestle them for the food. :supergrin:

So I was just really impressed with the professionalism of the Marine, just the picture perfect example of a professional military man. Not that the Army was not but honestly the Marines represented themselves the best IMO. I am pretty sure this is the case as the 28 year girl I was with from work who has no military experience commented on it in the car as we drove back.

To be fair I was a Marine and my son is currently in the Air Force, so I might be a bit biased. :wavey:

To be honest I really respect all the branches equally, bless them all :wavey:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Maybe it was really the young lady with you that the marine wanted to impress... :whistling:

3. dakrat

dakrat

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. Ruggles

Ruggles

Damni it leave my ego alone!!!! :rofl:

Good point though....

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

A Marine let his son go into the Air Force? You're a failure as a parent! :) JK, we're thankful for all their service.

6. Ruggles

Ruggles

Love the kid to death. He is smart and a great person. But the Marine Corps would have killed him, just not the right personality.

I took him to the Air Force recruiter, we never spoke to any other branch. I think they (branches) all serve honorably but I think you have to fit the person to the branch and even the job within that branch. I was in the Marine Corps, I was an analyst (0231) in military intelligence. I would not have done well in many of the other MOS positions in the Marine Corps. :embarassed:

But I would have been a helluva F18 pilot I tell you!

[​IMG]

:rofl:

7. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

While I was an Army officer, I have a high regard for Marines. My father who is a former Naval Officer and more knowledgeable about such matters maintains that, "The Marine Corps is a minor branch of the armed services, created by Congress to assist the Navy with some of its simpler and more mundane missions."

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Those squids sure are kind to let us hang around to carry their water, maybe some day we can return the favor :rofl:

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

He was standing at parade rest for a civilian?

[​IMG]

10. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

They say that Air Force basic training is the easiest of any branch. Being prior USAF, I strongly disagree! Making those leather wallets from scratch was hard work and canoeing and archery both took great effort to master!

:usaf: :patriot:

11. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

Can someone in the Air Force explain to me why you guys are always in PT gear?

My experience:
    Morning - PT gear
    Chow - PT gear
    Hanging out - PT gear
    Final formation - PT gear

12. Ruggles

Ruggles

Having been at Lackland AFB in Sept I have more respect for their training. It's not USMC boot camp but it gets the Airmen trained to serve. Those kids were disciplined, polite and marched loud and proud. The 18 year I turned over to them was a good kid, they turned him into a better one IMO.

Nothing but respect for the USAF, the balls on those boys in the 8th Air Force in WWII were huge!!

Yeah yeah I know USAAF but you know what I mean. :wavey:

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

Showing respect for his elder (God I hate to even type that about myself!) and showing his respect for our act of bringing him a gift. As well as respect for the young lady. Good stuff there. :wavey:

14. Ruggles

Ruggles

Now see if I were a sailor and had to wear those bell bottoms and that dog bowl looking cover then yeah PT gear for me! :tongueout:

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

That right there shows its a BS. :tongueout:

16. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Because they won't let us wear our pajamas...

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

The AF personnel is what you show your friends.

The Marines are the folks you introduce to your enemies.

lol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

As a Marine Grunt I earned the right to give crap to all the Dogfaces, Flyboys, Squids and Coasties.

And I love and respect every one of them.

Semper Fi.

19. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I talked to an Airforce recruiter once, he said if you like pretty girls in the service and sleeping in..... This is the place for you!!

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

:dunno:

One day I saw our upcoming training schedule.

We were scheduled to go to sleep at 0500 and wake up at 0400.

Thats right, day one had us going to sleep one hour after we got up for day two.