Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

A short P7 range review.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nathanours, Jul 5, 2014.

1. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I picked up a nice P7M8. I haven't really shot it much since I've been working on revolvers lately.

I really wanted to post this since my first 5 shots were quite possibly some of the best I've ever done with any handgun in terms of grouping and being centered.

The gun is actually a little snappy feeling, but oddly enough the sights really don't seem to move of target much at all compared to my other similarly sized 9mm guns during rapid fire. It's more snappy feeling than my G19 and P226, but I am back on target more quickly with the P7 by a significant amount of time.

The trigger is excellent and has a very short reset as well. I've heard people talk about these guns getting hot quickly, and I wanted to see for myself. I fired 200 rounds through 5 magazines doing mostly rapid fire drills. The gun got pretty warm, but in no way to a point where it was bothersome.

Any of you have similar experiences with your P7s? As always I'd love to see your pics as well!

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US

The additional heat shield on the M8 helped a little bit.

3. willieH

May 4, 2012
    Accurate shooting from a very nice gun.
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Awesome, Nathan

Yeah, the M8 has the heat shield. However, I never found the gun to get overly hot in the first place. I've also done some rapid fire with mine in the past.
  5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Very nice. The grips look very nice too. Do they add any width over the factory?
  6. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    The P7 is my favorite pistol.
    Simple. Accurate. Compact. And as safe as you can get from and unintended discharge.

I had a P7m13 (I should have kept THAT one) that got warm but not hot.

I had a PSP (precursor to the P7) that got blazing hot right above the trigger at about 75 rounds.

I love the wood grips on yours.

I would like to get one just like yours and actually keep it..... someday.

The PSP:
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  7. nathanours

nathanours Texan

They definitely add a little width, but to be honest I bought the gun with them on there, and although I have the original grips I've never put them on the gun. These are about as thin toward the edges, but have more of a palm swell.
  8. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Thanks! The one I've got is one of the pretty early ones made in 85. It's also got no import stamp and the fat trigger.
  9. vtducrider

Nov 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is one of my 97 PSP's, dressed in Nills. These "PSP" marked guns were commercial imports, somewhat rare.

Congrats on your P7M8. I carry mine regularly. Absolutely love it!
  10. got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    I have a P7 2nd Generation with out the shield. It will get hot but doesn't really bother me. And yes they are very accurate and point very naturally. Yours looks really nice, congrats on your HK. Good shooting!
    Here's mine. 1985 production.

11. nathanours

nathanours Texan

That's really cool, mine is an 85 also. I wonder how close to each other they were made.
  12. got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Nathan, I will look at the serial number later and PM you. Its in the safe now.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Fixed barrel guns tend to have better intrinsic mechanical accuracy.
  14. DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    Those are really cool looking!!!
  15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

Aug 30, 2004
    Very nice! I've always been interested in the P7.

Can you (or anyone) describe the trigger a little more specifically, please? Weight, LOP, creep, etc.
  16. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Decently light weight, but not quite SA Smith light, maybe around 4-5 lbs if I had to make a rough guess. The LOP is pretty short and is consistent throughout before the brake.
  17. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

Aug 30, 2004
    You would really be helping my bank account if you were to just say "terrible". :supergrin:

Thanks for the reply. :wavey:
  18. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    Envious. I really want one of those things.
  19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

that's what the P7 was designed for, welcome