close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

A Scope Vs. Front Sight Assembly

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by USMCsilver, Nov 14, 2012.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    I know that a scope will "see around" a front sight assembly, but I've never witnessed first hand how well this is achieved.

Is the field of view obstructed at all? If so, how bad is it?

I've been wanting a full rail over a low-profile gas block in order to avoid the FSP, but if I don't really need to get such an upper, then I may avoid it.

Opinions?

Thanks!

(And, of course, pictures are always welcomed!) :wavey:

2. Denied

Denied NRA Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Ohio
    have a colt 6920, handle off, 3 to 9 scope mounted on rail, can see front sight at all at any power.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Is there supposed to be a "not" anywhere in the statement above?

Just wanting to clarify. :dunno:

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The focal range of a 3X or higher scope is 'in front' of the front sight assembly.

Depending on the scope, and this varies, you will either see nothing (common) or a very tiny blur you have to stare at to be sure is there.

At lower than 3X, you can still see the front sight at times, this varies per scope.

Having used everything from a 1.5-5X up to a 4.5-14X Nightforce with a front sight assembly..... you're fine.

If it's a 4X ACOG, anything 3-9X or higher, 99.95% likely you won't see crap except the target.

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I've got a Burris AR-332 3x on my CMMG M4 LE with a fixed front sight. Looking through the scope all you notice is a little black blur in lower 1/3 of the picture. Not a big deal to me, does not obscure the target at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    With the Leupold Mark AR you can see the tiny black blur on 3-4 power, but it disappears at higher magnification. It is a non issue, even when visible.

7. I just installed this Rock River 1 piece high mount and the scope this afternoon and got to try it out. There is absolutely no visible obstruction. Not at 3x, not at 9x. Not in bright light, and not at dusk. So I say it is not an issue at all. This mount puts the scope about the same place the carry handle sight would be. Leupold AR 3-9x40mm

[​IMG]

8. I couldn't notice any blur at all. Mine is rifle length and has the high mount, so not sure if that explains the difference between us.

Even though it is called a high mount it seems pretty well aligned for me with that rear stock.

9. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Aug 25, 2010
    I use a Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mk 4 MR/T M2 on my SPR. I regularly shoot with my Troy front BUIS up without any issues.

10. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I have mine on a carbine and you can see it if you look for it.

11. Blade37db

Blade37db

Jul 18, 2005
    Connecticut
    I recently put a Nikkon P-223 3x32 on an 18 inch rifle length gas upper with A2 front sight and can see the blur in the bottom of the view. I was wondering if I moved the scope a bit forward would that eliminate seeing the front sight?

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Well, I've concluded that I want a Trijicon Accupoint TR24 for the top of a 6920 upper. Gonna put that in, probably, the Burris mount.

I played w/ the Accupoint yesterday, and I think it is the best glass I've ever looked through. The clarity was absolutely amazing.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Time to start saving up for the scope.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  14. Kloogee

Kloogee

Sep 16, 2011
    I've got a Nikon M-223 3-12x42 on my DDM4V3. I know for sure that at the higher powers (which is what I always use), the front post completely disappears.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  15. trigger45

trigger45 G23 Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Texas, USA
    Had a 2.5 x on a 10/22 I could see the front sight as well. never bothered me.

16. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Nov 28, 2001
    Alpha Brave Echo
    I took this through a 4 power ACOG. It's on an normal fixed front sighted 16" upper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture is 100% representative of the actual view. First, the doughnut is larger and if you look closely through the sight you can *faintly* see something in the lower part of the field of view. It, however, does not affect the use of the scope in the least.

I will say that if you look closely